Fan shroud rubbing during hill climb?

Dylpickle200

Has anyone ever experienced their fan blade rubbing on the shroud while wheeling? This week at hidden falls I got on a particularly cheek clenching climb and was pretty flexed out while repositioning for a better line on the way up my fan shroud started rubbing (I assume that’s what I was hearing) on the shroud. It only happened on this one obstacle and only happened when I was in a decent bind. My body mounts are kind of cracked and dry rotted could that be a potential cause? My motor mounts seem to be in good shape I can visible see a gap between the rubber and top of the mount but from what I’ve seen on here that’s normal. Anything else I should look for? I’m lifted 4” but it’s all suspension no body lift and I have an sye so motor and trans should be in natural placement.

Has anyone ever experienced their fan blade rubbing on the shroud while wheeling? This week at hidden falls I got on a particularly cheek clenching climb and was pretty flexed out while repositioning for a better line on the way up my fan shroud started rubbing (I assume that’s what I was hearing) on the shroud. It only happened on this one obstacle and only happened when I was in a decent bind. My body mounts are kind of cracked and dry rotted could that be a potential cause? My motor mounts seem to be in good shape I can visible see a gap between the rubber and top of the mount but from what I’ve seen on here that’s normal. Anything else I should look for? I’m lifted 4” but it’s all suspension no body lift and I have an sye so motor and trans should be in natural placement.

Worn body mounts could certainly let the body flex enough for the fan to hit the shroud - particularly the grille body mount. Are the grille snubbers in place (at each corner of the grill where it meets the frame rail)? Can you tell where the fan made contact? Is the fan shroud in the stock location?

I had that happen to me on a trail when I got hung up on a rock on my trans skid which pushed the drivetrain up enough to cause the fan shroud to contact the fan, not sure if that's what happened to you possibly.

The engine is not where it ought to be relative to the fan shroud. Or vice versa.

Worn body mounts could certainly let the body flex enough for the fan to hit the shroud - particularly the grille body mount. Are the grille snubbers in place (at each corner of the grill where it meets the frame rail)? Can you tell where the fan made contact? Is the fan shroud in the stock

Worn body mounts could certainly let the body flex enough for the fan to hit the shroud - particularly the grille body mount. Are the grille snubbers in place (at each corner of the grill where it meets the frame rail)? Can you tell where the fan made contact? Is the fan shroud in the stock location?

It doesn’t have any there they weren’t there when I bought it. I couldn’t tell where it was contacting (previous owner broke the fan shroud so a decent chunk is already missing and it’s torn up) but riding normal there’s plenty of clearance at the top it’s a little close on the driver side towards the bottom but if I remember correctly my last Tj was about in the same spot. I guess that will just speed up my process of motor mounts body mounts and tummy tuck any recommendations for mounts to do the tummy tuck that work best on keeping things in line? Also looking for recommendations on skit plates for an auto if you have any need to get rid of the pos boat anchor that came on here stock lol

Reactions: JMT
I had that happen to me on a trail when I got hung up on a rock on my trans skid which pushed the drivetrain up enough to cause the fan shroud to contact the fan, not sure if that's what happened to you possibly.
The engine is not where it ought to be relative to the fan shroud. Or vice versa.

Well I thought that was kind of obvious. I’m trying to find out what the cause of the misalignment could be. It’s only happened on that one occasion and everything is lined up when normally driving

Well I thought that was kind of obvious. I’m trying to find out what the cause of the misalignment could be. It’s only happened on that one occasion and everything is lined up when normally driving

A motor mount lift, body lift, center skid drop or raise will all change the relationship between the fan and the shround. As will a broken or loose motor mount or transmission mount. Twisting the frame will also change this relationship. Compounding changes, including momentary changes, to this relationship between the fan and shroud will eventually cause the fan to contact the shroud.

Reactions: TheBoogieman