Farm Jack Storage

I always laugh at these comments and mostly blame the marketing...

Has anyone actually tried to use a farm jack to rescue a rig? Let me tell you, it's completely exhausting and frustrating. I did it once to help rescue a rig (there was no good way to get a proper winch line run without risk of the rescue rig getting stuck). It took probably >2 dozen resets on a 60" jack to get to the point where we could finally run the winch line to. By the end, I was beat and plain exhausted. Mind you now, this was in college - back when I played D1 football and was running sub 7-minute miles (as a 6'3", 315lb d-lineman). There is no f*$#(@$ way in hell I'd ever consider this a viable benefit nowadays... I'd rather gather supplies, make shelter, and become feral before winching my ass out with a farm jack :ROFLMAO:
It's always laughable to see posts or webpages showing how a Hi-Lift can be used as a winch. There was a good article testing that usage in 4Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine years ago and they came to the same conclusion. Possible in some situations if you use a chain but impossible with straps and ropes. And too much work to consider it being useful for anything but an emergency situation where it's that or die lol.

I would think you would just get the rope or strap tight by the time you were at the end of the throw on the jack
This was ~23 years ago - thankfully (at the time) we just had tow chains in heavy canvas bags (too poor or stupid for anything else). Still, it did require some work and finangling to retain all forward progress. The minute it was in line of sight of a rig on stable ground, we moved the chain to it and tugged it free. It was freezing cold, though it had been somewhat warm the week prior. The ground was mud, covered by a layer of ice... just thinking of this is bringing up some PTSD :ROFLMAO:

Looking for a farm jack storage solution for my 1997 TJ. Out of all of the options available I like the roll bar mounting bracket for inside storage. Just wondering how that will affect the soft top when I put the top in the down position. Any thoughts?

I did this with the hilift jk brackets,had to heat em and bend the stainless ubolts a bit,looked great,and to let the top down you would have to remove(we have a/disconnects)the top hinge points but it was very doable.don’t carry it anymore now that we removed the back seat and run a tuffy full trunk enclosure.

I can't figure out what the "mine" is that you're referring to in your reply to my post. The only jack in in my photo is the factory jack.

Sorry, maybe what I typed wasn't quite right.

Your first sentence was about the great uses of the factory jack.(y)

The second sentence starting with "I stopped carrying mine nearly 20 years ago..." kinda looked like a continuation of your factory jack story. I knew it wasn't and that it was about the farm jack/Hi-Lift but it didn't look to me to be definitely about that.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Sorry, maybe what I typed wasn't quite right.

Your first sentence was about the great uses of the factory jack.(y)

The second sentence starting with "I stopped carrying mine nearly 20 years ago..." kinda looked like a continuation of your factory jack story. I knew it wasn't and that it was about the farm jack/Hi-Lift but it didn't look to me to be definitely about that.
Got it finally, you were talking about my post #13, not my later post you quoted. I changed my #13 post to make it clearer that I was talking about my Hi-Lift that I stopped carrying.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
OK, confession time. I still carry a high lift. On the 40’s, a regular bottle jack will not work to change a tire.

Now, in my truck, and also in my trailer, I carry a 12 ton, two stage bottle jack. With telescoping rams it lifts pretty high - about double a normal bottle jack - and plenty high to change a tire on my rig.

But damn! That thing is heavy! No way I’m carrying all that weight in my rig!

A few weeks ago I weighed it, as well as the high lift. The high lift weighs about 5 pounds more…

😊

I guess I’ve lost my last defense for keeping the thing…

OK, confession time. I still carry a high lift. On the 40’s, a regular bottle jack will not work to change a tire.

Now, in my truck, and also in my trailer, I carry a 12 ton, two stage bottle jack. With telescoping rams it lifts pretty high - about double a normal bottle jack - and plenty high to change a tire on my rig.

A few weeks ago I weighed it, as well as the high lift. The high lift weighs about 5 pounds more…

😊

I'm pretty sure I saw you try to use parts of a high lift to fix a JK last year...

😊

You are not alone, I purchased my hi-lift before I ever read up on them, saw all the jeeps in my area with them, and automatically concluded I needed one, so I gifted it to myself since a winch was out of budget at the time.

Now I have a winch, but my jack still sits on the driver's side windshield post. It's staying there just because I loved the way an elf hat sat on it when we decorated for Christmas this past year.

IMG_7143.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
Now I have a winch, but my jack still sits on the driver's side windshield post. It's staying there just because I loved the way an elf hat sat on it when we decorated for Christmas this past year.
Out in the weather is the worst.
Makes it even more dangerous when you want to use it, unless you maintain it.

Guess it depends on where you wheel, but that wouldn't last long in our tree lined creek beds. ;)

It's always laughable to see posts or webpages showing how a Hi-Lift can be used as a winch.

With one of these, they say you can use it to put rocks/etc. under your tires.

HTB1Ab6iMVXXXXaCXFXXq6xXFXXXi.jpg

Last edited:
  • Face Palm
I don't know why people like to mount them on the hood. How are you getting that heavy awkward thing off without denting your hood. You have also now made the hood unnecessarily heavier.

Always reminds of Ricky Bobby in Talladega Nights. "This hilift is dangerous and inconvenient but do I love off road accessories."

Reactions: JMT and Wildman
OK, confession time. I still carry a high lift.

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. No pun intended. :)

The few times I've used one wheeling it certainly seemed like the best (quickest) solution at the time.
One time (almost 20 years ago), I had to lift the frame to reposition a leaf spring after breaking a shackle bracket.
Yes, the straps and zip ties got me off the trail.

p1000046.JPG

Just trying to figure something out. What do you do when you get stuck in the mud and CANNOT get under the Jeep to set a jack, and no winch? This is about the only time I can see a Hi-lift being advantageous, but I don't see another solution.

I think the HiLifts look detestable on a rig. The hood is the worst, anywhere else is almost as worse. Ugly and not valuable except for a few rare situations. Not worth buying or carrying on a rig.

Just trying to figure something out. What do you do when you get stuck in the mud and CANNOT get under the Jeep to set a jack, and no winch? This is about the only time I can see a Hi-lift being advantageous, but I don't see another solution.
In some cases jacking a vehicle up and tipping it off a rock is an example. But as you noted it's rare that a farm type jack is actually the best or only tool thst will work.

Why do you feel the need for a farm jack/Hi-Lift? Big lift? Big tires?
I will never forget an article that JP Magazine did on the versatility of a hi-lift jack- It had illustrations and about a dozen ideas - None of them included using it to change a tire-

They are the best thing I’ve ever I had my hands on for making adjustments to the floor system of a deck.