Finer points on GMRS install

Finally got everything wired. Found one of those connector add on thingies at Bass Pro Shops. Everything incased in plastic loom and corrected some wiring PO did. He had a 20amp fuse on 20g wire. Just have to replace some dash pannels and the glove box. I’ll be all set for my run next week. Only took me a year after getting the radio to in stalling it. Thanks for all the advice.

Might prove useful to many..

Painless Performance CirKit Boss
70207.jpg

2023-07-03 TJ Painless Perf Cirkit 32.jpg

Power and ground direct to battery. Adds seven additional fused circuits.. three hot & four ignition switched.
Mounted on the side kick panel in the passenger side footwell.

2023-07-03 TJ Painless Perf Cirkit 32.jpg

Up and running. For now antenna will be hood mounted and I’ll order an A-pillar mount later. I’ll pick up a retractable mic holder at Pilot on my way out to Anza Borrego next week.

IMG_2101.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

@bucky
I apologize if I missed it.. what route did you end up taking through the firewall?

And what are you using the huge on/off attached to the ground side for?

Last edited:
When I installed a CB in my TJ I just used a fuse tap and the nearest ground. Later I heard that was not the best way so when I got the LJ and moved the CB over I ran relatively heavy pos and neg wires through firewall directly to battery in a 4 fuse block like pictured above. I could tell no difference in performance.

@bucky
I apologize if I missed it.. what route did you end up taking through the firewall?

And what are you using the huge on/off attached to the ground side for?

Battery switch is used because as the TJ is a toy it sits for long periods of time and it prevents parasitic battery drain. I use them on my YJ, tractors and forklifts. Adds some level of security also. Originally I was going to tie into the fuse block but the Forum advised me not to. 50 watt radio take a lot of juice. I did not want to risk drilling the firewall so I went to the drivers side. The antenna went through the main wire harness. The power and ground went through the factory grommet below then through plastic loom across to the battery. Easiest part of the job. I just ordered a low profile antenna cable from Midland and am researching which mount to buy to mount on the a-pillar. Everything works for now but the a-pillar mount will illuminate the exposed wire on the hood. Also I used 10ga wire to splice onto the factory wire.

IMG_2104.jpeg

IMG_2103.jpeg

IMG_2102.jpeg

Reactions: MikekiM