First concert?

I'd kill for that. Maybe Waylon Jennings too. But Johnny first. What an experience to have had. That's incredible. When were his last concerts?

He toured through 2001 then did a few shows at Carter Family Fold over the next couple of years. His last was just a couple of months before he passed.

I've been to a total of 2 concerts.
John Sebastian when he came to Roswell.
Neil Diamond at The Forum in Inglewood.

I am still not sure why I went to either one.

summer sanitarium tour 2000. 07/09/2000 Dallas Tx. PM5K, System of a Down, Kid Rock, KoRn, Metalicca. I just turned 16 went with my big brother. James Hetfield was injured and didn't make the show, all the other bands made cameos to sing their songs. It was Phenomenal, then a few months later Metalicca played a make up show for free to all ticket holders. Over the next decade there were over 150 concerts under my belt, then marriage and kids started coming and in the last decade maybe 7?

Cream Farewell Concert, Nov. 1968 at the Philadelphia Spectrum. They opened with 'White Room'. Touring with them was The Terry Reid Trio who performed a kick ass version of 'Season Of The Witch'.

Reactions: Squatch
Chicago when they were really Chicago with the brass horn section, before they turned into a pop band, at the Jones Beach theater here on Long Island, NY early 80's

Saw the original Chicago Transit Authority at The Philadelphia Electric Factory circa. 1969.

also saw the 91 Guns & Roses tour & the opening band was Sound Garden, I had never heard of them before that; good stuff.

Saw some pretty cool bands over the years, Van Halen a couple times, the Stones with Journey & George Thorogood, the Who with Santana, the Dead a whoooole bunch of times, the Roundup (Marshal Tucker, Molley Hatchet, Rossington Collins & probably some others), Live Aid in Philly, Bowie, CSN with & without Y, the Monkeys, Aerosmith, Page & Plant, James Taylor, Pearl Jam which I always liked the most out of that whole grunge era - the memory is fading as there were a bunch more, over indulgence was usually part of the package

I saw VH Women & Children First & Diver Down, David Lee = best front man ever!

Used to listen to George Thorogood at The Chadds Ford Tavern before he made the big time; early 70's. He used to play on Monday nights and drew out the chicks. 1st concert I ever saw was The Cream Farewell Concert, Nov. 1968 at the Philadelphia Spectrum. The Anvil Inn in Kennett Square was another good bar that had live music.

Last edited:
The James Gang opening for The Who at Philly's Spectrum in the winter of 1970. The Who played a substantial portion of Tommy as the encore after the crowd gave a twenty minute standing ovation for their main set which was mostly Live at Leeds with a few extras.

Two great bands.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Madison Square Garden in 1969. Drove there in my buddies VW bus.
Living in NJ as I did for so many years there were a lot of opportunities to see performers and when AC legalized gambling the opportunities were endless.

Went to see Steve Martin and Martin Short 2 weeks ago at the amphitheater in Eugene, quite a show and I never knew Martin Short has a hell of a voice,

Stevie Nicks outside during a windstorm in Calgary AB. The wind blew over the entire left side speaker bank. It was memorable for all including Stevie Nicks who said, "I have to go pee, It is so fricking cold".

wasn't my first but odds on favorite when I saw them at John F. Kennedy Stadium in South Philly in 1981 with 90,000 other screaming lunatics.

Me & my buddy skipped school & hopped the train into the city, an unforgettable day. JFK Stadium was a phenomenal venue, gigantic, site of so many concerts before it closed in 1989 a few days after a Grateful Dead concert (I was there too). It hosted the Army Navy game for decades, & Live Aid in 1985 & yea I was there too:). Here's an old shot, funny all 3 of these are long gone:

View attachment 48303

Here's a snippet of the Wikipedia page on the end of JFK:

"Six days after the Grateful Dead's 1989 show, then-Mayor Wilson Goode condemned the stadium due to multiple findings by city inspectors that the structure was structurally unsafe and a potential fire hazard. Just hours before the concert, city inspectors discovered piles of combustible materials, numerous electrical problems, and crumbling concrete."

Another piece of history, some of you may remember Wilson Goode was the Mayor of Philadelphia back in 1985 when the Philadelphia Police Department dropped a bomb out of a helicopter onto the rooftop of a row home which started a fire that wiped out the entire block of over 60 homes killing 11 people. I was home from college the day that happened. I sat watching it live on TV, this standoff had been going for a while when the helicopter flew over the house & dropped what looked like a small satchel onto the roof. It wasn't all that big of an explosion at all but did start a small fire. The problem was they didn't put it out & by the time they figured out that they oughta it was too late & they couldn't stop it no matter what they did, a total sh!t-show, not Philly's greatest moment

I was working the midnight shift at Peach Bottom. My relief in the morning told me about a shoot out between Philly cops and MOVE. Later that afternoon I watched as that explosive satchel was dropped by helicopter on the roof of the MOVE house. I watched in disbelief as the fire grew and consumed house after house.

A little trivia question for those from the Philly area. Anyone know who the group was that led to the closing of the original Electric Factory at 22nd & Arch Sts.?

Not sure, the 70's were a blur. I think we went to Jacksonville to see Tod Rundgren, or maybe it was April wine in 75. They had a unknown (to us anyway) opening for them. It was Ted Nugent, he stold the show. Or maybe it was Kiss in Savannah. I'm as confused as a fart in a fan factory over this. Thanks!🤔