First Wrangler build and looking for suggestions

Rocker knocker, Pritchett

Just right for that LJ. Most just slide over to the left then go up straddling what's left. Years ago there used to be a 4 foot rectangular rock which assisted climbers going up the left. Video shows my son's LJ kicking that precious rock out and down as he got up. Since then techniques had to be changed. Your right turn at the top seemed strange believing that was the Golden Stairs knowing that a left is required there. Your video makes it look flatter than it is. Great shot!

Just right for that LJ. Most just slide over to the left then go up straddling what's left. Years ago there used to be a 4 foot rectangular rock which assisted climbers going up the left. Video shows my son's LJ kicking that precious rock out and down as he got up. Since then techniques had to be changed. Your right turn at the top seemed strange believing that was the Golden Stairs knowing that a left is required there. Your video makes it look flatter than it is. Great shot!

Not me. It’s @NashvilleTJ

Reactions: HardSell
I appreciate all the suggestions and info from everyone!

@Jerry Bransford and @JMT , I haven't been able to find a 30 spline no slip powertrax. Any idea where I can find one?
What axle? If it's for the HP Dana 30 with Super 30 shafts you won't find a No-Slip or other lunchbox locker to fit, it's going to need a full carrier locker like an E-Locker.

Reactions: HardSell and JMT
well hell... a selectable locker would more than double the cost of this Dana 30. Is a Dana 30 even worth putting that much into or do I just get some good 27 spline axles the powertrax and call it a day?

Last edited:
well hell... a selectable locker would more than double the cost of this Dana 30. Is a Dana 30 even worth putting that much into or do I just get some good 27 spline axles the powertrax and call it a day?

I run a 14 bolt in the rear. The ARB locker back there was over 5 times the cost of the axle - so I guess I’m missing your point…🙂

Just kidding. The question is not whether the ‘30 is worth the cost of the locker. The right question is whether the ‘30 is the right axle for your usage. A built Dana Super 30 is plenty strong for 35’s unless you are throwing a bunch of horse power at it, or banging on it crazy hard. A low pinion Super 30 is nearly as strong as a ‘44 - with the ‘44 only having a slight advantage at the ring gear. A high pinion super 30 I believe is stronger than a ‘44, as high pinion in the front more than offsets the strength of the ‘44’s larger ring gear.

Aside from the cost, you will never regret going with a selectable locker over a limited slip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rickyd and HardSell

What’s your final tire size?

I run 35’s with a low pinion Dana 30 and the PowerTrax No Slip with the 27 spline 4340 shafts. I think I’m good to go for 35’s.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
The biggest for now with the 30/44 combo is going to be 35s. I have already warned the wife that if I start getting into all this to much the 35s won't last long and that is when it will get expensive.

Reactions: JMT
Don't forget currectlync and psc hydro assist from blackmagic. Yes you need an sye kit and a double cardan rear shaft for a tuck and that lift. Adjustable upper and lower rear arms for adjusting pinion angle.

The biggest for now with the 30/44 combo is going to be 35s. I have already warned the wife that if I start getting into all this to much the 35s won't last long and that is when it will get expensive.

If you have slightest inclination you’re going to 37’s or more, there’s no use messing with Dana 30, Dana 35, or Dana 44’s. Just go to Dana 60’s and be solid.

If you have slightest inclination you’re going to 37’s or more, there’s no use messing with Dana 30, Dana 35, or Dana 44’s. Just go to Dana 60’s and be solid.

Running 37’s only requires the use of a Dana 52….

(That joke never gets old - at least in my feeble mind 😀)

I have welded smaller projects but never something like suspension parts. That is part of the reason I was going to truss the Dana 30, practice in case I ever do go to d60s. D60s are more of an invest than my current plans and this way I can figure out what I need and don't need if/when I ever to upgrade while I put some cash away.

@Rickyd I was under the impression you didn't really need hydro assist til you went 37"+

I have welded smaller projects but never something like suspension parts. That is part of the reason I was going to truss the Dana 30, practice in case I ever do go to d60s. D60s are more of an invest than my current plans and this way I can figure out what I need and don't need if/when I ever to upgrade while I put some cash away.

@Rickyd I was under the impression you didn't really need hydro assist til you went 37"+

That depends on if you want to be able to turn in difficult situations. My current 33s can be hard to turn at times. 35s would be impossible.if you only drive highway 35s would be ok i guess

Tj axles generally don't need trusses. Its jk's that snap and bend axle tubes left and right. You just be adding weight and losing clearance