Flat inner rear fenders for TJ?

Peter Panagakos

TJ Enthusiast
One of the things I miss about the CJ Jeeps is the flat tops of the rear fender wells. Those were great for putting in tool box, jerry cans or whatever else you wanted to carry in the back. Has anyone here come across some sort of body kit to put flats on top of the TJ rear fender wells? I never liked the curved inside in the back. Must be some way to put flat tops back there.

I remember seeing some in @jjvw ’s build thread. You could probably search a little through there.

Mine are the early style .50 cal cans with the hinge on the long side. I made brackets to make them fit on the wheel well. Anything that goes there needs a 2" gap between the tub and the box to allow room for the soft top.

Thanks. The Tuffy storage boxes are not bad. Might go with that, at least to top is flat.
I took a photo you might like.
94C85ADF-F179-4B8E-B9C8-DA2A71653622.jpeg

I built these out fiberglassed reinforced plywood. The top is covered in same material as the Caltrends seat covers. And the rubber bed mat is one of those anti-fatigue mats from HF. The straps hold the lids closed and lengthen to work as a tiedown for a tent, sleeping bag or whatever.
My goal was to keep the middle as open as possible for the dogs.

IMG_20190904_192606920.jpg

IMG_20190904_192538899.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things I miss about the CJ Jeeps is the flat tops of the rear fender wells. Those were great for putting in tool box, jerry cans or whatever else you wanted to carry in the back. Has anyone here come across some sort of body kit to put flats on top of the TJ rear fender wells? I never liked the curved inside in the back. Must be some way to put flat tops back there.
That is one thing I miss about my YJ I always mounted a cooler there and it made it so easy to get in and out of on the trail.

IMG_20190715_1816138.jpg

Bent some 1/4" plastic (seaboard) I had laying around, thinking it would be fine for just temporary. Pretty sure they are staying in now.

IMG_20190715_1816303.jpg

Fishbone offroad makes a product like what you are looking for. They have it at Summit Racing. I don't know how to post a link. FB 25103.
It is easily (looks to be) to swap to another TJ if you should decide. $110.

Cool idea but does the logo really have to be *that* big on a product like this? Just ruins it for me.
Ask them, the worst they could say is , "no." I do agree, I am not a fan of bumpers, sliders, etc with logo's laser cut into them.

At least go with a small logo or just dimple die it for a really clean look.

To be fair, any fabricator could replicate it for you in whatever size, flavor, and finish that you desire. Building it to your specifics requirement.

Cool idea but does the logo really have to be *that* big on a product like this? Just ruins it for me.

That looks like a nice idea. But the logo is absolutely terrible. And it isn't compatible with a soft top.

Reactions: psrivats