crustyw

Theres this big ol dang metal disc on the outside of my output shaft, past the dreaded dust cover. Not sure what it is or what the name is, but can't get the dang thing off. Before I cause substantial damage trying to get this thing off, does anybody have a clue how to... or even what its called? (if there's a name for it.) I've tried looking online for hours, and non of the how-to guides have this sucker. I can't find it mentioned anywhere, not even part diagrams. Only place I've seen another one is from some random used ones being soled on ebay. It's preventing me from continuing along to getting the dust cover off.
Any help would be much appreciated!
It's an NP231J transfer case on a 2006 5 speed manual wrangler, if that helps in any way.
80861820_624777771400906_4242741468638216192_n.jpg

harmonic balancer? gear puller?
You're a legend.
Heard that name before, never worked on one.
Looked up harmonic balancer on output shaft and boom, there it is.
Time to get a gear puller I suppose then or whack the sucker extra hard... or something
Thank you so much!

You're a legend.
Time to get a gear puller I suppose then or whack the sucker extra hard... or something
Thank you so much!

i had revised my post. gear puller may damage the rubber insert.

i had revised my post. gear puller may damage the rubber insert.
Perfect, thank you. Will do that now. I'm not worried to much about damaging it, don't plan on keeping it, just trying to get it off.
But nothing seems to be working, so I'll try to bolt method. Thank you!

You're a legend.
Thank you so much!
Please dont use a hammer to hit it. I understand you have no desire to keep it. You likely know more than the engineers who designed it, but hitting it with a hammer can damage/bend/break other things.

Use the right tools for the job and things will begin to go a lot smoother in your garage.

Reactions: Blondie70
Please dont use a hammer to hit it. I understand you have no desire to keep it. You likely know more than the engineers who designed it, but hitting it with a hammer can damage/bend/break other things.

Use the right tools for the job and things will begin to go a lot smoother in your garage.
You're right, I appreciate your advice. Ended up getting it off using the bolt method coloradowrangler sent the link to above. Worked like a charm

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Something's not right here, you said you have a 5 speed manual on your 06' Wrangler, it should be a 6 speed unless it was changed out.
6 speed, sorry you're right. Past vehicle was 5 speed and only had this wrangler for a few months. 5 speed just came to head first.