Ford 7.3L V8 Godzilla swap information

Cost will be the biggest factor. It will probably be 8-10 years before this engine is affordable, and custom parts are expensive. Once they start hitting the salvage lots in numbers it may be an option. Personally I like the L83 5.3 engine swaps. I think that is a perfect sized engine for the TJ, however some folks like myself cannot swap anything until it is 25yrs old.

I think this engine will become a very popular and well-supported swap in the next few years. Dozens of companies are already working on various supporting products for the platform.

It also has the possibility of becoming one of the most versatile engine platforms available. This engine is built for reliability and easy serviceability, and as such is very easy to work on and quite tolerant of modification. These engines are intended for consumer as well as fleet usage, and unlike consumer markets, fleets are very concerned with maintenance costs, especially labor. So the engine is quite simple to work on. Rumor is the engine internals are strong enough for moderate forced induction builds.

As for transmissions, there are a lot more transmissions that can be adapted to the Ford Modular V8 platform than I listed. I mainly chose those ones because they are popular with either the Coyote or Godzilla.

For 1st gear ratios, the 10R80 or 10R140 transmissions have a 4.69:1 1st gear, and a 0.63 10th gear. That is simultaneously a deeper 1st than any TJ auto or manual, a taller OD than any TJ auto or manual, and a much larger span than any TJ auto or manual. Plus the gears are quite close to one another, so there is almost always a near-perfect ratio for the speed you are traveling.

As for manual transmissions, there are a lot more available than I listed that just require an adapter that is already on the market. Even with a direct bolt transmission like the Tremec TR-9070, it could easily be installed with 5.38 or 5.89 axle gears in Dana 44 axles (as deep as 7.17 with D60s) to have the effect of a super deep 1st gear while still having mild freeway manners with its 0.50 overdrive.

Other transmissions you can buy adapters for already:
  • Tremec T90
  • Tremec T14
  • Tremec T86
  • Tremec T15
  • Tremec T18
  • Tremec T98
  • Tremec T19
  • Bronco II / Ranger 4-speed
  • Bronco II / Ranger 5-speed
  • Aisin AX-15
  • New Venture NV3550
  • New Venture NV4500
Also, I missed the ZF S6-650, which will bolt directly to the Godzilla. This transmission has a 5.79:1 1st gear and a 0.72:1 6th gear, making it a potentially awesome option for a manual transmission. Rated for 530 ft-lbs, it should easily survive a stock or lightly modded Godzilla.
Lots of good information!! Thank you for all the effort you put into these posts.

While GM might have the market cornered right now for ease of engine swaps Ford and Chrysler are starting to accommodate the builder and resto-mod market. It wont be long before aftermarket support catches up.

This Godzilla is a very strong contender but so are Chrysler's crate engines. Aftermarket support isn't going to be far behind.

Last edited:
I didn’t compare the 7.3 to a 95 hp engine, I made a statement about gearing and to quote you,

“there is no substitute for gearing for the trails”.

While the wording is true, modern automatics offer better gearing. Period. Guys who tout that line usually are trying to make up for lack of power.

Prefer manuals all you want and there are some in this thread mentioned (that you failed to mention anyway, just wanted to jump in and piss on it like you do most threads) that would suit a manual build too.

Good job on hurling names at me attempting to bring me down to your level of intelligence. Don’t you have some tires to mount?

But since you want to insult me by calling me names, we can play together.
I must have missed the name you were called?? I re-read the post and I still don't see it.

I say again...the OP's first listing of manual transmissions available are all too high of gear. It absolutely has nothing to do with automatics. I'm not sure if it bothers you someone would prefer a manual because you keep talking about automatics when I've stressed pretty clearly that my interest lie with manual trannies only. I fairly specifically told you automatics no matter their performance mean nothing of intetest to me.
I'm certain there might be a few other Jeepers in the world who still prefer to run a manual.
I don't care one bit what on earth you wish to run.
Trust me...i really don't. As a matter of fact I say whatever you want to run go for it and here is the cool part.... I hope you like it because it's your machine.
There are many posters here that seem to take it personally if it differs from what they like. It's your machine, your money...run whatever you wish.

I must have missed the name you were called?? I re-read the post and I still don't see it.

I say again...the OP's first listing of manual transmissions available are all too high of gear. It absolutely has nothing to do with automatics. I'm not sure if it bothers you someone would prefer a manual because you keep talking about automatics when I've stressed pretty clearly that my interest lie with manual trannies only. I fairly specifically told you automatics no matter their performance mean nothing of intetest to me.
I'm certain there might be a few other Jeepers in the world who still prefer to run a manual.
I don't care one bit what on earth you wish to run.
Trust me...i really don't. As a matter of fact I say whatever you want to run go for it and here is the cool part.... I hope you like it because it's your machine.
There are many posters here that seem to take it personally if it differs from what they like. It's your machine, your money...run whatever you wish.

Ok cupcake, I know that was hard. 😘

I guess dumb and over my head are terms of endearing love?

Reading is hard.

6EE7B502-4591-4036-BD26-0A71EED641A3.gif

Happened to come across a few new Godzilla swap posts...
Apparently turnkey kits and control packs are now available. There are a number of sites that sell control packs that work with the 6R140, 10R80, and 10R140 transmissions, as well as turnkey powertrains. Of course, of those, the 10R80 is probably the only one that would fit in a TJ.

https://lsswap.parts/product/godzilla-7-3l-10r80-control-pack/
https://godzillashop.ca/shop/ols/products/73l-godzilla-enginetransmission-package
https://theinfamousproject.com/shop/ford-7-3-godzilla-v8-motor-swap-package/
https://www.mastmotorsports.com/products/copy-of-ford-godzilla-engine-off-road-race-prep
https://protouringstore.com/product...-for-10r140-automatic-transmission-m-6017-73a

Thats cool ford is going away from their mod motors finally! They lost me to gm when the 4.6l came out.

The zf s6-650 truck trans is great. They shift very smooth and will handle built diesels if you aren't dumping the clutch on asphalt regularly. Only thing you need is multiple disc clutches.Downside is they are massive and very very heavy. I can't imagine the size of the trans tunnel you'd need to make to get one in a tj.

The way i always looked at the manual vs auto debate is so long as you have excessive power an auto is more fun,faster and more control. On an underpowered rig i prefer manuals to ring the last bit of power from it.

Big FORD engines rule.
Our RV a 26ft Jamboree Class B is powered by a 460.
We got it from the original owner how used it to tow his drag boat.
He did not like to go slow so he reworked the 460 for more power.
It dynos at 400rwhp, I have driven it up the Grapevine at 70+ mph.
My wife calls it Grandpa's hotrod.