IMPORTANT FRAUD ALERT

Chase is good at fraud claims from Zelle. I wouldn't even worry.

What was the too good to be true deal?

This started happening a lot on another site I use (not Jeeps). Two factor auth helps to some degree, but then you can still have scammers just create their own accounts.

Often they will use pictures that they found on the Internet. One thing that will actually prove that they have the item they're selling: People should start including a piece of paper in the pics that shows their username and a current date. If someone posts pics of an item without this, don't be shy. Ask them to take a new picture.

Though even the above can't stop a scam if they actually have the item they're claiming to sell. So as mentioned, don't use payment options that have no recourse. No Paypal friends and family, Zelle, Venmo, etc. Paypal goods and services is a good one to use. Also use a credit card so there can be recourse with the CC company.

Also look for other red flags like a new account with not many posts.

Don't be a dick to @Chris Because you got scammed on a deal that was probably too good to be true. Yes it sucks and yes scammers should die but focus your anger where it belongs

The big problem is they are getting very smart about the "too good to be true" deals. I've seen a lot of stuff priced at an amount that was a good deal, but not an obvious too good to be true deal. Start asking questions and don't be afraid to lose the deal. If they won't let a local inspect it for you or post up different pictures, walk away. Sadly the one that got my buddy did all the right things. Price was good, not great, more pics sent when requested, the delay for pulling the part was very believable, pics with the cover off showing the internals were shown when requested, it was all there including a bogus tracking number. Nary a single red flag until it was too late.

Very unlike the scam request I got from a "friend" on FB whose account was hacked. I got the typical, "hey, I'm sending you a code because I lost my phone and need to log in" bullshit.

Now I don't know this guy from Adam, it is the FB friends thing bullshit. He was in my list. So, I asked the scammer what we were drinking the last time we got drunk together. Hey, it's me buddy, you know what we drank. Yeah, fuck right off, we've never met and I don't drink, you fuckwit.

@Chris
Since this hack can happen with any account, can some sort of two-stage authentication be done to guarantee it's that person. The hacker has control of the account but not the email associated with it so a code could be generated and sent.

Thieves and predators are scum and need to be in prison for a very long time!

Only if the person has 2 factor authentication enabled in their account.

So what's the problem with Zelle? I know its a smartphone thing, so its outside my world anyway, but how is it worse to deal with than PayPal?

Last edited:
It was Zelle
Just got off the phone with my bank. I need to wait till the transaction posts, and they will "claw back" the money to my account. The agent says this zelle type fraud is rampant, and they deal with it all the time! I feel a lot better.

Good, I hope you are able to get your money back. I’m sorry this happened to you. I’m just glad we caught it before it happened to others as well.

An early Warn 8274 winch with extras for $650 to start then dropped to $500.

Damn I would've looked at that too. No way I'm shipping it tho.

I recently just bought my entire Garvin EXT bumper tire carrier rack system at a too good to be true price. Less than a quarter of it all brand new which is roughly $2700. But I talked to the guy who was not a very active user on here, got more pictures and drove 1,000mi round trip to his house to pick it up in person.

Sent him the money Zelle because I was standing right in front of him and his wife and the product.

Reactions: reddvltj
An early Warn 8274 winch with extras for $650 to start then dropped to $500.

And that $500 included shipping which was a huge red flag on my end. Do you know how much it would cost to ship an 8274 warn winch? It would probably have to go on a small pallet...doesn't matter now what's done is done and It sucks that a member here got screwed.

Reactions: JMT and dvngdg
And that $500 included shipping which was a huge red flag on my end. Do you know how much it would cost to ship an 8274 warn winch? It would probably have to go on a small pallet...doesn't matter now what's done is done and It sucks that a member here got screwed.

Shipping would have been hundreds of dollars, I can say that for certain. The cost of shipping has gone up tremendously.

I also try to make a habit of only using my credit card to pay for things I buy online, that way if I need to file a chargeback I have some recourse.

Something else to be said here is that people ought to take this as motivation to strengthen their passwords. Most people choose very easy passwords which is a bad idea and likely played a part in how these two got their accounts hacked.

So what's the problem with Zelle? I know its a smartphone thing, so its outside my world anyway, but how is it worse to deal with than PayPal?

It's not a smart phone thing, it's banks wanting to compete with Venmo/PayPal/Cash app/etc.

The payment network Zelle uses is instant, and irreversible. There are pros and cons to the different networks, but that’s a common reason Zelle is used for this sort of thing.

Banks usually will eat the loss themselves to keep ppl quiet. It happens a lot more than you’d think. Scammers use Zelle a lot because people believe it to be more “secure” bc it’s (usually) through your bank

Reactions: pc1p and Chris
I know here the last few weeks it's been all over the news to not use ZELLE because alot of people have gotten screwed using it.....

I know here the last few weeks it's been all over the news to not use ZELLE because alot of people have gotten screwed using it.....

Yep, it should only be used for in person payments or with people you know personally. It should never be used to buy things online unless you know the person you’re buying it from personally.

Yep, it should only be used for in person payments or with people you know personally. It should never be used to buy things online unless you know the person you’re buying it from personally.

In which case, why use it at all?