IMPORTANT FRAUD ALERT

@wborisenok was hacked today and it appears that the hackers have scammed more members out of their hard earned money.

What don’t people understand about not sending money via Zelle or Venmo? You ONLY do that with people you know personally.

Also, do some folks not understand what a STRONG password is?

I’m not going to babysit grown adults. Stop sending money via Zelle, Venmo, CashApp, etc.

Use PayPal or something that has buyer protection.

I am sorry @MattTJRubicon82 and @roverhi. I warn people about this for a reason. Zelle and Venmo are not meant for this sort of thing. You should be using PayPal (goods and services).

Yeah lesson learned. Likely gone changed passwords. Sad world we live in.

Reactions: RINC and Chris
Yep, that’s it. @Jamison C alerted me to it. I checked the IP addresses and they were from Singapore and Istanbul today. They hacked the account and changed the email to one of their own.

As I keep saying, don’t use Zelle. If people don’t want to listen then that’s on them.

They did a thorough job on the post. I thought it was weird she had a JL and then that it was getting replaced with a zeon for the hell of it. But it didn’t occur to me it was fake.

• Sad
Reactions: Austin O. and RINC
They did a thorough job on the post. I thought it was weird she had a JL and then that it was getting replaced with a zeon for the hell of it. But it didn’t occur to me it was fake.

They did a good job indeed. It shows how sophisticated these scams are getting.

They've realized that they have a better chance at scamming people if they hijack a well known member's account. That gives them some credibility.

That is again why I always say to only use PayPal goods and services because at least that way you're covered. With Zelle, CashApp, Venmo, and others, you're never getting your money back.

I'm going to put a huge popup from now-on in the classified section that warns to NEVER pay people (even known members) using anything other than PayPal. Heck, if people just message me first via PM I'll be happy to check the account.

The one way I can always find out if they are scammers is check their IP address history. In the case of @wborisenok all of the IPs she has logged in from were within the U.S. until the other day when all of a sudden the login IPs were tracing back to Singapore, Istanbul, etc.

They did a good job indeed. It shows how sophisticated these scams are getting.

They've realized that they have a better chance at scamming people if they hijack a well known member's account. That gives them some credibility.

That is again why I always say to only use PayPal goods and services because at least that way you're covered. With Zelle, CashApp, Venmo, and others, you're never getting your money back.

I'm going to put a huge popup from now-on in the classified section that warns to NEVER pay people (even known members) using anything other than PayPal. Heck, if people just message me first via PM I'll be happy to check the account.

The one way I can always find out if they are scammers is check their IP address history. In the case of @wborisenok all of the IPs she has logged in from were within the U.S. until the other day when all of a sudden the login IPs were tracing back to Singapore, Istanbul, etc.

Could you implement some version of Two factor authentication to post an ad?

I’m going to look into that because it isn’t a bad idea.

It's too bad you have to implement something to thwart these scammers, but if can I and many others would be very grateful.

It's too bad you have to implement something to thwart these scammers, but if can I and many others would be very grateful.

It’s the world we live in. In the meantime, as I always say, never use anything where you don’t have buyer protection. And you can always reach out to me personally before sending money so I can check the IP address history for a user.

Reactions: flyinfish
Could you implement some version of Two factor authentication to post an ad?

Agree that two factor should be turned on if possible. Same thing on another forum I use that sells collectibles that go for thousands sometimes. People were getting scammed left and right, had to turn on two factor.

Reactions: flyinfish
It's almost getting to the point that face to face is the only way to do business.

Reactions: RINC
Sorry, everyone. I am in Chicago to be with my best friend for her 5th chemo round and it was a crazy day, I wish I saw the email sooner. The whole thing irks me. Shout out to @Jamison C for clueing me into the winch listing way sooner than I would have seen it.

Reactions: RINC
Sorry, everyone. I am in Chicago to be with my best friend for her 5th chemo round and it was a crazy day, I wish I saw the email sooner. The whole thing irks me. Shout out to @Jamison C for clueing me into the winch listing way sooner than I would have seen it.

Well, when one sees a practically new Warn EVO for $500 shipped you’re definitely getting clued in 🤣

FYI everyone. The “note” with the username was a dead giveaway. No normal person does that when selling something. Scammers do that across all sorts of different categories to “prove” the deal is real.

FYI everyone. The “note” with the username was a dead giveaway. No normal person does that when selling something. Scammers do that across all sorts of different categories to “prove” the deal is real.

Delete this post so they don’t know you know. Then I’ll delete mine. 🤣

Better yet, just leave the smartphone out of the pay chain altogether.

I don't have a smartphone and I'm still more than capable of using Venmo, Zelle, and PayPal friends and family to pay for stuff that I don't care whether I get screwed on. Smartphones have nothing to do with how smart folks are about buying stuff.

I don't have a smartphone and I'm still more than capable of using Venmo, Zelle, and PayPal friends and family to pay for stuff that I don't care whether I get screwed on. Smartphones have nothing to do with how smart folks are about buying stuff.

That I wasn't aware of - I was under the impression that Venmo and Zelle were smartphone only things. What about Cashapp or whatever its called?

Did a bit of reading here, so what do you all propose to use for payments?
I have always used PayPal and money orders. Both options reveal receivers name which can be verified with ID.
My and my friends banks have been endorsing Zelle for the past year, when using it shows name and phone number of the recipient associated with the service. Not a foolproof method, but it is something.

Outside of that, what is reasonable? Escrow services? This is internet, unfortunately that is the risk associated with buying and selling on marketplaces.
If every sale is going to turn into a witch hunt, what is the point of marketplace ?