From Conservative Build To Rock Crawler

Spent last night after work getting the engine and transmission bolted in and lined up. Also got the engine etched, primed and painted. Got new Mishimoto coolant lines installed and installed my new PSC power steering pump as well. My atlas got delayed a week so it wont be here until next week and I am suppose to have the jeep done by the 29th. So the time Crunch is way to extreme and I'm sweating bullets but we will see what happens.
IMG-5662.JPGIMG-5663.JPG

Sorry @Mike_H haven't forgotten about the highline details and write up. Just been swamped trying to get this thing back together for next weekend. This past weekend and week I managed to cut the old frame apart. Man please, everyone start washing out your frames and doing some sort of coating on the inside. This is the amount of rust I had fall out.
IMG-5695.JPGIMG-5698.JPG

After cutting up the frame, I was still waiting for the atlas to get delivered so I started sanding and priming the Jeep to get painted. I also wire wheeled, primed and painted the body mounts. They were looking pretty rough but all seemed to be able to be saved. IMG-5759.JPGIMG-5732.JPG

Finally the atlas got delivered Tuesday afternoon so I spent all night setting up and installing the unit. Went with a 5 to 1 crawl ratio because that 2.7 in the np231 was just way to fast. I'll see how she does next weekend but the next item on the list is a black magic brake kit upgrade inorder to be able to stop her. and I also spent last night trimming the axle bridge to be against the diff housing. I also have the GenRight double triangulated rear kit that allows for the 5 inch stretch. I got that welded in last night but didn't take any photos.
59A54AE6-C15A-4050-8C29-4ACD93BD71E3.JPGE312CC98-95CF-4C06-930D-BA17A4E37606.JPG58027088727--BF9526FD-052E-40A8-B410-5D060DF7352F.JPG

Reactions: L J
Plans for this weekend are to get the rear axle in on saturday and put the tub on, on sunday. Driveshafts come monday from adam's. Then it will be just buttoning up wiring so she will be ready to be on a trailer thursday and wheeling on friday. 🤞

Reactions: JMT
Plans for this weekend are to get the rear axle in on saturday and put the tub on, on sunday. Driveshafts come monday from adam's. Then it will be just buttoning up wiring so she will be ready to be on a trailer thursday and wheeling on friday. 🤞

Wow...Ambitious plan. No biggie on the Highline write up. I'm patient. I try to drive my jeep as much as possible in the 6 months of jeep weather I have in Michigan. Plenty of time to tear it apart and rebuild once November hits.

So this weekend was pretty busy for me. Got the Genright Double Triangluated 4 link 5 inch rear stretch in. Man did that take a lot of calculating, measuring and welding. Created the arms in PVC first which really helped fine tune the length.
IMG-5804.JPGIMG-5810.JPGIMG-5809.JPG
I then flipped the calipers to the front, threw the tires on and took some measurements. Used the engine hoist to get the frame up to ride height and measured from spring perch to where I wanted the new spring perches to sit. Took out the angle grinder, hacked the frame up and tacked in the new perches. Threw the springs on and drank a few beers when she sat level.
6AF6AE10-C57F-471D-9CDB-C57F32DFE619.JPG42CE0956-31F9-4B0D-8538-75F5E4EEC24C.JPG
I threw the 33's on it to try and get the frame low enough to get the body on using the engine hoist. But I ultimately had to put the frame on 2 blocks to get the engine low enough.
58067110680--A42C9323-574C-4E19-B8A1-EFE8E86E148C.JPGIMG-5865.JPGIMG-5863.JPG'
Boy was the tub a real pain to push around with the hoist. You can see my dad needed to take a break half way through lol. IMG-5864.JPG58067555765--75EDFAFA-01C4-4E5F-A203-33AB665411CF.JPG.

Today Santa came and brought me driveshafts that I got from Adams.
IMG-5881.JPG
Got them in 3 days which was fantastic as the jeep is suppose to be on a trailer thursday night for a full weekend of wheeling this Weekend at Rausch Creek for Krawling for Cops.
Things left to do and the Plan
Tonight: Finish plumbing my hydro steer and then turn the engine over. Get the Rear brake lines made and connect the drive shafts.
Tomorrow: Still need to cut the frame for the outboarded shock mounts in the rear
Thursday: Cut the tub for the atlas shifter and align front and rear axles. Set up all the electronics, make sure lockers and rock lights work, throw the bumpers and winch back on. Check all bolts and drive her around the yard about 10-20 times and then recheck everything.
This weekend: Get out wheel hard, break some stuff and fix her next week.

Quick update, we made it to the rock crawling event on the weekend of june first. Krawling for cops at Rausch Creek in Pa. Didnt get any paint on her but had her running minus having a ps high pressure line have a catastrophic failure. Napa next day delivery is a god sent.
IMG-0185.JPG

The Rear double triangulated rear is amazing along with the stretch. The atlas 5 to 1 is an absolute beast when it comes to needing to go slow.

With redoing the power steering pluming and moving the reservoir. I am once again redoing all the electric. I was running with Buggies and learned a whole lot from these guys about what they did for their electrical systems. I absolutely love the quick battery disconnect and complete electric system shut down. I welded in a new battery tray new mount for the electrical components (its been updated last night but didn't take any pictures. I took my tuffy console and removed the e-brake. Going to relocate it to another position in the jeep. Took my spod switches and created a custom center piece to hold the switches. Welded in new cup holders4188E2CB-A3D8-43B0-840F-467812FD2CEC.jpegIMG_0438.jpegIMG_0441.jpegIMG_0442.jpeg

My overall goal is to have little to nothing on the fenders for quick removal. The fuse box at this time is the only thing staying on the fenders. I am extending the fenders to meet the corner of the tub since I did the DIY highline kit and extending the arches reward a tad to keep the tires from rubbing (i do not want to stretch the front axle)

Also updated the radio system and installed a back up camera. Its a kit from crutch field and I am absolutely in love with it. It works flawlessly, took about 2 hours to cut the sub dash and to run all the wires. But the transformation was well worth it. CE0AD6D8-85BF-47DA-9DF8-B16087ADF5B1.jpeg3EF3E689-9C10-4FE8-BBCD-80740A40D205.jpeg

Here are more pictures of the Rigs in the group and the aftermath of a day of wheeling hahah Nothin like a little log sledding through the woods to finish the day. IMG-0177.JPGIMG-0172.JPGIMG-0171.JPGIMG-0180.JPGIMG-0170.JPGIMG-0192.pngIMG-0189.pngIMG-0190.png

Reactions: Chris and Backdraft
Got the wiring done this past weekend so took her out and played on the fork lift. Got everything working without the fenders on which is what my goal was.
5BEF75A4-E9FE-48FD-9CFA-214A2B9FC969.jpeg
IMG_0571 (1).jpeg
IMG_0567.jpeg
IMG_0569.jpeg
58397129404__BB6DD84D-00E8-4CB6-8481-B110F5226A1C.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and Chris
Damn, it's coming along nicely!

Maybe I missed it, but when are you getting the fenders on there?

Damn, it's coming along nicely!

Maybe I missed it, but when are you getting the fenders on there?
I've had the fenders on and pulled them back off about 12 times in the past 3 months with doing the frame swap and the power steering leak. I'm waiting to finish up my evap system brackets and locker pump brackets before I take pictures and throw the fenders back on. I am going crawling on the 27th so the push is gona start back up again after this weekend.

Reactions: Chris
I've had the fenders on and pulled them back off about 12 times in the past 3 months with doing the frame swap and the power steering leak. I'm waiting to finish up my evap system brackets and locker pump brackets before I take pictures and throw the fenders back on. I am going crawling on the 27th so the push is gona start back up again after this weekend.

Gotcha. It's a lot easier working on things with the fenders off. Wish I would have known that the time I replaced my pre-cats :LOL:

Reactions: Kevin Bright
Gotcha. It's a lot easier working on things with the fenders off. Wish I would have known that the time I replaced my pre-cats :LOL:
That't why I relocated everything off them so they are a breeze to take on and off :ROFLMAO: