Front axle u-joints seized in axle on 2006 Rubicon

I use a 4 or 5 pound short handled hammer. Swing it like you’re not afraid to make blood squirt out from under your fingernail. Eye protection is your friend. You have (probably) ten finger, but you only have two eyes (probably).

I use a 4 or 5 pound short handled hammer. Swing it like you’re not afraid to make blood squirt out from under your fingernail. Eye protection is your friend. You have (probably) ten finger, but you only have two eyes (probably).
I hate squirting blood and have yet to convince my wife its ok to hold an object I'm swinging a hammer at.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Yes he can. Then he can get on here and ask how to spread the yokes back out to seat the snap rings in the grooves.

Well I guess I've just been lucky and never bent the yokes.

You can't cock the cap in the hole because it won't bind with a shock load. I've done more joints than I can remember. Never bent a yoke. I have also had several send me their shafts so I could straighten them back out after they fucked them with a press.

You be you, I'll be me.

Yes we have established this fact already.

I soaked mine with Kroil for a couple days, then heated the yokes with a propane torch. After that, I just beat them like a looter with my mini-sledge.

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Maybe. I ruined a snap on socket doing it that way. 🤷‍♂️ First and last time I tried.

I use only the finest Chinesium impact sockets for hammer duty. I have damaged a few, but not beyond being usable as sockets again.

I do want a press, but being limited to a two car garage that I park two cars in, I don't have the space. Debating currently with the wife on the pros / cons of going back into mortgage debt to build / buy our forever home with a detached shop so I can have a lift and all the other things I don't have space for now.

And what do any of these video's prove? Not a damn thing....... Other than there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Yes the hammer and socket method is tried and proven. But I have had some that no matter how much I beat on them I couldn't get the u-joint out. That is when I started to use a press. Others might not like to but it is how I like to do it if I have it available. If not a hammer and 2 sockets will work.

To each their own, isn't that what makes America great?

Ive always use the vice jaws to support the axle and stub ears and pound the caps out that way. Worked great when I lived in the rust belt.

And what do any of these video's prove? Not a damn thing....... Other than there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Yes the hammer and socket method is tried and proven. But I have had some that no matter how much I beat on them I couldn't get the u-joint out. That is when I started to use a press. Others might not like to but it is how I like to do it if I have it available. If not a hammer and 2 sockets will work.

To each their own, isn't that what makes America great?
Yes, you can skin a cat by holding onto the tail and carefully holding the rest in a wood chipper. Doesn't mean you got the end result you were after, but it can be done.

I see folks snivel about hitting it with a hammer. Based on what I see when folks use a hammer, they just need a bigger hammer because most can't swing one worth a shit. Do what ya'll see fit and I'll just bow out of straightening out yokes from now on.

Love those vids. Helps keep me employed when I fix their messed up yokes.
I know vids of that ilk have sold more than a few frame nutserts. Yeah, I followed the video and torqued them to 100 ft lbs with anti-sieze and they stripped right out. Yeppers, that's because you hit it with about 130 ft lbs and that will strip them out. Try 75-80 dry and see if that works.

Reactions: Wildman
I know vids of that ilk have sold more than a few frame nutserts. Yeah, I followed the video and torqued them to 100 ft lbs with anti-sieze and they stripped right out. Yeppers, that's because you hit it with about 130 ft lbs and that will strip them out. Try 75-80 dry and see if that works.
Yeah trying to make people understand that using anti-sieze means following wet torque specs can be nearly impossible. Especially up here with the big trucks and using it on lug nuts and wondering why they stretch and break studs.

Blaine, will you walk me through the steps you use.

These are stuck like Chuck.

Thanks
Andy
I use a piece of tube with a slight bird's mouth shaved into the top sitting on concrete. The bird's mouth is very slight and shaped to fit the curve of the yoke roughly with an ID large enough for the cap to drop into. Set the splined end on a support to ensure that there is contact on both sides of the u-joint cap with the yoke.

I have a piece of 1" solid steel rod about 6" long. That goes onto the cap and then I smack the crap out of that with a 3-4 lb shop hammer. Don't be shy, hit it like you mean it. That will move the cap inward ever so slightly so you can pry out the snap ring.

Turn it over and go after the other side the same way. When you get the cap down a small amount, remove that snap ring.

Key is solid support. Hit it like it owes you money. If the support isn't solid, the energy from the impact goes into bouncing the axle around. When you get it supported solidly, you'll know it and know that no matter how much it wants to be a little bitch, you will own it.

I use a piece of tube with a slight bird's mouth shaved into the top sitting on concrete. The bird's mouth is very slight and shaped to fit the curve of the yoke roughly with an ID large enough for the cap to drop into. Set the splined end on a support to ensure that there is contact on both sides of the u-joint cap with the yoke.

I have a piece of 1" solid steel rod about 6" long. That goes onto the cap and then I smack the crap out of that with a 3-4 lb shop hammer. Don't be shy, hit it like you mean it. That will move the cap inward ever so slightly so you can pry out the snap ring.

Turn it over and go after the other side the same way. When you get the cap down a small amount, remove that snap ring.

Key is solid support. Hit it like it owes you money. If the support isn't solid, the energy from the impact goes into bouncing the axle around. When you get it supported solidly, you'll know it and know that no matter how much it wants to be a little bitch, you will own it.
I think I just grew hair in places I didn't have.