Front diff whining on both acceleration and deceleration

renguomin

Hello. I just regeared my gears and put an e-locker in the front dana30, all gears and bearings are new. I noticed a loud whining when 4H engaged and speed above 30mph on both acceleration and deceleration (coasting without braking). The faster the vehicle, the louder the noise. When coasting, if I engage the clutch, or disengage 4H (put in 2H), or press the brake a little bit (don't know why braking makes things different) the whining stops. When acceleration it is simple, if I disengage 4H, the noise stops.

I know that a loose pinion bearning will make whining sound, but usually on either acceleration or deceleration (not on both). Any ideas? Does tight backlash or loose backlash make such noise?

I'll defer to one of the gearing experts like @Rob5589 on this one. Maybe he or someone with more gear experience will chime in.

What was your BL set at and what'd your pattern look like?

Did you lube all the new bearings before installing?

Was your preload to spec?

Last edited:
Sure sounds like the gear setup wasn't done properly. It doesn't sound like a bad pinion bearing or pinion bearing preload since the whine occurs during both acceleration and deceleration.

Make sure too that you're using a conventional gear lube, at least during the break-in process. Gears run cooler with a conventional gear lube.

Last edited: