Fuel Pump Access Panel

Guess I'm the dissenting vote here. I installed one and think it's a great mod. Wasn't hard to do at all and I didn't need to drop the tank to do it.

First off, I have a 1" body lift so that helped with the spacing between the tank and the floor. I used a short metal cutting blade for a jig saw. Took about five minutes to cut out the piece. Blade came no where near the top of the tank.

The only issue to watch out for is the rear tail light wiring. You can't really see it as it runs through a channel type area all the way at the rear. I nicked a wire on mine but I think that was because one of the plastic hold downs for the small wire bundle had broken and the wire bundle was sticking out a little. Easy fix.

If you do get one.....pay attention to lining it up correctly in the space........there isn't much room for error front and rear.
I think it’s a good idea,

Next we will be torching a hole in the hood so we dont have to raise it to check the oil
Why, did you weld your hood shut or put locks on and lose the keys??? I've never needed a jack, ratchet with extention, siphon and oil can to check oil...you got that 1 off jeep...

I don't need fuel pump access, but I NEED a 32" touchscreen that controls every function in the vehicle and a sealed
CVT trans, and no low range, and electric power steering, and of course I need to control the transmission with a dial like a heater control. !!!! :ROFLMAO: Actually, I had a VW Golf that had a fuel pump access panel from the factory. Not that it mattered since these wingnuts
couldn't build a functioning electrical system !!!:rolleyes:
I didn't
I read this topic and many others about adding a access panel and I went ahead and did it. Was pretty easy really, I didn't drop the tank to do it and I dont have a body lift. Excuse my depth guage jigsaw device but it did the job ha. Happy to give more info if anybody wants it. My hole was smaller than most I saw but was the perfect size to remove the pump easily.

I needed to remove my fuel pump to change the regualtor to the Novak bypass and add a return line (my TJ has a 350 chevy V8)

View attachment 261130

View attachment 261131

View attachment 261132

View attachment 261133

View attachment 261134
Looks good and functional, no channels cut, didn't have to buy a cover etc...I like it...

Definitely should have been done from the factory. I have had my GTS in and out multiple times and can do it fairly quickly, but I’d still prefer a hatch cover for ease of fuel pump access…

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
My oem fuel pump lasted 22 years. Still worked but had to prime it because of the check valve. Of course you can't buy a Bosch for a 98 so I bought a Delphi. Not even 8000 miles the check valve is failing. If I have to replace my aftermarket fuel pump every year or two I may put an access door in. I don't think you would have to "check things out" by dropping the tank every year or two replacing after market pumps.

I have the check valve issue on my fuel pump and I am not afraid of dropping the tank but I have seen where some people have broke some of the vent lines when they did it and it was a part that they didn’t make any more. That is really pushing me toward the access panel.

Reactions: MichaelGH
I have the check valve issue on my fuel pump and I am not afraid of dropping the tank but I have seen where some people have broke some of the vent lines when they did it and it was a part that they didn’t make any more. That is really pushing me toward the access panel.
NO REGERTS!LOL

Nice post. I just put a new fuel pump in my 1997 wrangler. I only use the Jeep for plowing my long driveway using a snow bear plow. The Jeep no longer passed inspection because the frame is very rusted.

i didn’t want to try to drop the tank because of all the rust so cutting a hole to access the pump seemed like a great idea and it was. Was nice to work on the Jeep for once without having to crawl under it.

i also discovered the original fuel line was leaking badly from rot. I ran 14 feet of fuel injection rated hose from the pump to the fuel rail. I just left the old line in place.

Vic

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
I Agree with the “built not bought” motto
• At the same time we need to be considered of the folks who don’t have access to proper tools, space and knowledge or rather have it done by someone else. Ni

just saying ..., it’s probably a good idea, if one has already downtime on his rig
• speaking for myself, I’m planning on doin it, once I’m able to continue my “spark-plug delete” project

DETOUR overnout

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Curious about this “spark plug delete” project