Fuel Pump Access Panel

I’m gonna check it but I think going up anymore will get into the seatbelt spot that might be on another support
You will see after you drop your tank....I judged by measuring were the center of the pump was in relation to the bolt holes on the skid plate...then from under the jeep I drilled holes at each corner based on the tank bolts hanging down off the frame...Then cut from the top following the guide holes I drilled..

You will see after you drop your tank....I judged by measuring were the center of the pump was in relation to the bolt holes on the skid plate...then from under the jeep I drilled holes at each corner based on the tank bolts hanging down off the frame...Then cut from the top following the guide holes I drilled..
Nice,I have a regular tj I’ll do it in a few weeks when I do the b/l and the savvy skid

Ill toss my opinion in the mix.....

The ONLY reason i have not put in a access panel is it doesn't look good. If it was designed properly to blend in with the floor pan i would have put on in when i installed my tank skid upgrade.

I could spend the time fabricating my own but by the time i would have in it i could change the pump multiple times. I don't blame anyone who makes there next job easier.

While it doesn't take long to drop the tank. It is much faster with the access hole.

Reactions: reddvltj
Ill toss my opinion in the mix.....

The ONLY reason i have not put in a access panel is it doesn't look good. If it was designed properly to blend in with the floor pan i would have put on in when i installed my tank skid upgrade.

I could spend the time fabricating my own but by the time i would have in it i could change the pump multiple times. I don't blame anyone who makes there next job easier.

While it doesn't take long to drop the tank. It is much faster with the access hole.
if you cut it right and can re-use the piece as the actual door...sand it paint it and you'll hardly notice it...My jeeps not in a beauty contest and my cooler of beer sits atop of the door anyway...

I’m gonna check it but I think going up anymore will get into the seatbelt spot that might be on another support
You are correct. The support for the seat belt is right at the top of my panel. You can’t go any further up. That support channel is a significant structural piece.

You are correct. The support for the seat belt is right at the top of my panel. You can’t go any further up. That support channel is a significant structural piece.
Look guys there are 2 support channels one where the seabealts anchor and one across the very back where the swing gate sits..why would I suggest going higher than needed....im talking about moving 2 inches up from the rear and not cutting the very back channel...your fuel pump doesn't sit under the seat belts...so a smaller hole and miss the rear support

Last edited:
I'm in the camp of "dropping the tank gives me a reason to check, clean, and treat any rust that's hiding up there". Cutting a hole just provides another way to accelerate rust, for those this impacts, if not done properly.
How does that work for you 200 miles out on the trail..

Look guys there are 2 support channels one where the seabealts anchor and one across the very back where the swing gate sits..why would I suggest going higher than needed....im talking about moving 2 inches up from the rear and not cutting the very back channel...your fuel pump doesn't sit under the seat belts...so a smaller hole and miss the rear support
That’s what I’ll do,not cut any of them,but I might have to alter the frame from he right.we will be towing this behind an rv, I’m trying to get everything done that requires my shop done now, we have about a year before we sell everything and live full time in rv.

That’s what I’ll do,not cut any of them,but I might have to alter the frame from he right.we will be towing this behind an rv, I’m trying to get everything done that requires my shop done now, we have about a year before we sell everything and live full time in rv.
C8748765-FCDA-425D-9CEC-D764D5DDC465.jpeg

The frame from genright
The genright trap door is great...it's pretty...I just didn't think it was worth the money for what it is and does...But ya, if I had money to spend why not....As I said, once your tank is down and drill some guide holes from the bottom you should not have to cut any support frame or channels..

The genright trap door is great...it's pretty...I just didn't think it was worth the money for what it is and does...But ya, if I had money to spend why not....As I said, once your tank is down and drill some guide holes from the bottom you should not have to cut any support frame or channels..
I think it would have to be shorten to not get into the rear brace,I think it would look cool

Sounds good

I read this topic and many others about adding a access panel and I went ahead and did it. Was pretty easy really, I didn't drop the tank to do it and I dont have a body lift. Excuse my depth guage jigsaw device but it did the job ha. Happy to give more info if anybody wants it. My hole was smaller than most I saw but was the perfect size to remove the pump easily.

I needed to remove my fuel pump to change the regualtor to the Novak bypass and add a return line (my TJ has a 350 chevy V8)

20210623_181008.jpg

20210623_175601.jpg

20210617_184333.jpg

20210615_164051.jpg

20210615_162842.jpg

I read this topic and many others about adding a access panel and I went ahead and did it. Was pretty easy really, I didn't drop the tank to do it and I dont have a body lift. Excuse my depth guage jigsaw device but it did the job ha. Happy to give more info if anybody wants it. My hole was smaller than most I saw but was the perfect size to remove the pump easily.

I needed to remove my fuel pump to change the regualtor to the Novak bypass and add a return line (my TJ has a 350 chevy V8)

View attachment 261130

View attachment 261131

View attachment 261132

View attachment 261133

View attachment 261134
2E3DB814-43AD-434E-A921-9E52995EF09B.jpeg

Reactions: Moon Eyes