Fuel pump for a Hemi in a 2004 LJ

Yes, from the description

• [READY TO INSTALL] - Fuel strainer included to prevent contaminants from entering the pump - preventing the main cause of pump failure
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZGCWY/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That sure does look like the one I have.
If the aftermarket replacement does or doesn't have a filter doesn't make it not a 05-06 pump, it just means that particular pump didn't have one. The thing is you already have the new style pump in there, you can see the pump you have uses the newer mounting flange so that means you already have the correct gasket to seal it. There's a thread over on Jeep Forum with an 05-06 genright tank and an 04 pump and it worked fine. Overall they are about the same size. It might be some other pump that just happens to look like a duck and quack like a duck, who knows?

JF/threads/04-to-05-fuel-pump-seal-differences.1001904/
Thanks Paul.

Here is the box it came in. Wild guess here, but maybe not OEM??? ;)

Jeep - 5.7 Hemi 7-7-2017 735.JPG

Maybe a better quality pump will last a bit longer.

All TJ pumps are returnless. You do need to check the pin out on the connector and make sure that they are the same. I believe Scotty ran into that where the pump wouldn't run due to the + and - being reversed. If the sender isn't correct but works, I have a solution for that as well.

You just de-pin the connector and move the pins if needed to make the pump turn the right direction.
Cool. When I originally installed this unit I dealt with that wiring issue as well. My guess is that my current plug should work as is, but I'll double check. It does look like what I have is just an off brand '05-06 pump.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey and mrblaine
Thanks to all for the input. I've ordered the Bosch 67756 unit. In the pictures, it looks remarkably similar to the Autobest unit I currently have. It will be interesting to compare them side by side once I pull mine.

Reactions: Irun and Wildman
What is the fuel pump/fuel level sending unit for?
My TJ, I cut it on the CNC today. I was having issues with consistent fuel pressure when I was in boost. I already hacked in a bigger pump in the stock hanger, but I think I'm overpowering the factory regulator. This hanger has a built-in 1:1 adjustable regulator and a bigger pump. Should fix my fuel issues.

My TJ, I cut it on the CNC today. I was having issues with consistent fuel pressure when I was in boost. I already hacked in a bigger pump in the stock hanger, but I think I'm overpowering the factory regulator. This hanger has a built-in 1:1 adjustable regulator and a bigger pump. Should fix my fuel issues.

That is a work of art. LOVE it. Was hoping it was something produced as I'd order one.

Reactions: pagrey
Impressive piece and impressive work!

Thanks, I need to get it out to anodize and get a few more parts and I will take some pics with the install.

Reactions: Wildman
To close out this thread, today I installed the new '05 Bosch fuel pump. Side by side, the housings are identical (right down to all of the markings) but the pumps are different. I'm hoping the Bosch version of the pump is of a bit higher quality than the Autobest.

IMG_0010.JPG

As Blaine noted, all it required to get the '05 pump assembly to fit into my '04 style tank was to do a bit of trimming on the circumference of the head to allow the locking ring to fit. Took about 10 minutes. I posted the detail over on my build thread if anyone is interested.

Long story short - the new pump solved my starting issue which was clearly caused by a check valve failure. Once again it starts with just a quick touch of the key - no matter how long it has been sitting.

We shall see how long it lasts.

Thanks to all - and especially to Blaine - for all the input to help solve my problem.