Fuel pump locking ring

Eleanor

Proud dad
Supporting Member
Is there a trick to getting this thing back on? A marker in which to start the thread? I have been messing with this ring for 2 hours now… please help, or send medication, I’m losing my mind!

1999 4.0 - 5spd - 19 Gallon

It almost feels as if it shrank 😂 which I know wouldn’t happen due to material. But good lord I can not get it on there without feeling like it will cross thread. I am doing this by hand.

D100E9C6-3DDF-4057-ADC0-25B165775F57.jpeg

It's not just you, that's made from a softer nylon so it can be a booger to get started. Just keep it level and keep at it, it'll eventually thread on. I like to tighten it with a big strap wrench.

Reactions: BlueC
It's not just you, that's made from a softer nylon so it can be a booger to get started. Just keep it level and keep at it, it'll eventually thread on. I like to tighten it with a big strap wrench.

Yes! A response! Thank you for the encouragement as I definitely need it. Another hour down and still no luck. I have tried to align the start threads and every time I feel like it is working one side will simply not…

Fuel pump is pressed all the way down and gasket is so tight it doesn’t pop back out which is nice. Arrow lined up with witness marks on fuel tank. A strap would probably help my poor fingers and hands. That’s a big strap though….

I've had some success starting it then using a small rubber mallet to tap gently as I turn it. Other times I've pushed down while using a strap wrench.

Reactions: CMBD
Yes! A response! Thank you for the encouragement as I definitely need it. Another hour down and still no luck. I have tried to align the start threads and every time I feel like it is working one side will simply not…

Fuel pump is pressed all the way down and gasket is so tight it doesn’t pop back out which is nice. Arrow lined up with witness marks on fuel tank. A strap would probably help my poor fingers and hands. That’s a big strap though….
Too bad I moved out of the San Diego area to Florida in May, I would have come over to help. I found my "big enough" strap wrench in the plumbing section of my local Home Depot. The strap wrench sold in their tool department isn't big enough.

Reactions: CMBD
Is there a trick to getting this thing back on? A marker in which to start the thread? I have been messing with this ring for 2 hours now… please help, or send medication, I’m losing my mind!

1999 4.0 - 5spd - 19 Gallon

It almost feels as if it shrank 😂 which I know wouldn’t happen due to material. But good lord I can not get it on there without feeling like it will cross thread. I am doing this by hand.

View attachment 397936

Turn it backwards and you'll feel the ring square up and land evenly on the start threads. After that you can turn it the correct direction to screw on tight.

Turn it backwards and you'll feel the ring square up and land evenly on the start threads. After that you can turn it the correct direction to screw on tight.

Man… have I really wanted this to work. This is where my rational brain goes first. I can’t understand why it won’t work

I use that method for almost anything with a screw thread. Even on small fasteners like dash screws it prevents the screw cutting new threads.

If the threads are dry I have applied some silicone lube to the threads.

Who knew this would be one of the hardest repairs I have ever done and all because of one simple step. Screw the dang nut on to lock fuel pump in place…

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I use that method for almost anything with a screw thread. Even on small fasteners like dash screws it prevents the screw cutting new threads.

Yep, see that all the time in electronics... more often than not, those new threads allow the plastic studs the screw is meant to go into to split and even completely shear in half, preventing the screw from thinking about tightening...

I even turn the screw back to start a fine thread...

Reactions: Jezza and Zorba
Who knew this would be one of the hardest repairs I have ever done and all because of one simple step. Screw the dang nut on to lock fuel pump in place…

Yes one SIMPLE step,I have the acess panel too,we were at an oreilly in the mountains,had the pump out and changed in 5min.took 3.5 hours to install the ring.make sure you have grease on the threads.I did not know of the backwards trick,finally used a dead blow on one side.

She is back together and starts up first crank. Thank you to everyone for the replies, ideas, and motivation to keep at it.

Ultimately what worked for me was just starting the thread and applying pressure to the lifting side while rotating until I could not do it by hand any longer. Then I took a 2 ft 2x4 and put it between my chest and the cap and applied my body weight while turning and it popped into place.

Silicon lubricant was the deciding factor in popping it over the thread. The shape of the rings threads are angled downward and flat on top like a barb. Once I put two and two together with the shape of the other threads like a reverse barb I decided it was safe to really press hard as fuck.

So yes, push down as hard as you fucking can while rotating and lube the shit out of it. 😂 nap time

She is back together and starts up first crank. Thank you to everyone for the replies, ideas, and motivation to keep at it.

Ultimately what worked for me was just starting the thread and applying pressure to the lifting side while rotating until I could not do it by hand any longer. Then I took a 2 ft 2x4 and put it between my chest and the cap and applied my body weight while turning and it popped into place.

Silicon lubricant was the deciding factor in popping it over the thread. The shape of the rings threads are angled downward and flat on top like a barb. Once I put two and two together with the shape of the other threads like a reverse barb I decided it was safe to really press hard as fuck.

So yes, push down as hard as you fucking can while rotating and lube the shit out of it. 😂 nap time

Make sure you get it tight or you will have an evap code,I did

I thought it was just me… man that was stupid to get back on LOL

Looking back over this I see one of the better aids was left out. If you remove the tank from the skid and set it on 2x4's under each end, that allows the sump to drop down some and start the lock ring easier. What happens is the pump is fully compressed when you are trying to start the ring but the pump height won't let the threads engage easily. Letting the sump droop a bit really helps a bunch.