G2 gears and auto locker question

chino1969

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
What is the opinion on G2 gears for re-gearing?

With an auto locker in the front I take it that some of the quirky steering issues I have read about only apply if in the 4WD mode. Am I right in this assumption?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JMT
G2s are fine. I have had motive, G2, Yukon, and about to put in RGAs, they all do the same thing.

Not sure on the autolocker as I have no experience with one. I do know they can be awfully finicky in the snow/ice.

I had auto lockers in my 97 tj, loved the heck out of them. What steering issues are you referring to? Front locker won’t come in unless 4wd is engaged. Rear locker can come in whether in 2 or 4wd since it’s always pulling.

Reactions: chino1969
I had auto lockers in my 97 tj, loved the heck out of them. What steering issues are you referring to? Front locker won’t come in unless 4wd is engaged. Rear locker can come in whether in 2 or 4wd since it’s always pulling.

I've read that auto lockers can cause quirky steering issues on snow or ice. I was pretty sure they only engage when in 4WD so that answers my first question. I'm looking for more specific answers about the quirky steering issue from people who own them. Off road capability seems to be what I am seeking along with LSD in the rear but the handling on snow and ice raises concerns as this will be on primary roads, not trails.

Reactions: 4lowcreep
I've read that auto lockers can cause quirky steering issues on snow or ice. I was pretty sure they only engage when in 4WD so that answers my first question. I'm looking for more specific answers about the quirky steering issue from people who own them. Off road capability seems to be what I am seeking along with LSD in the rear but the handling on snow and ice raises concerns as this will be on primary roads, not trails.
Guess I’ll leave it at that since I only drive on snow or ice a handful of times a year. But for what it’s worth, I owned a Jeep with lockers for several years, and used them 4/7 days a week. It was also my daily driver. I never had any sort of steering issues due to the lockers. If you’re looking to seriously upgrade your Offroad capability, lockers are a must.

Last edited:
Regarding quirky steering with auto lockers: I'm from the NE, we get snow regularly. Yes, when in 4wd w/auto lockers on snow and ice, things can get interesting. Power going to all 4 tires on the slippery surface makes it interesting.

I mean if its snowing enough to need 4wd you should be going real slow to begin with. You just need to pay attention. Slow down on turns, try not to accelerate on the turn, etc...

Have I driven in snow with my auto's? Sure. In traffic on my small town roads through town it sucked, but was manageable.

I wouldn't want to be on big roads or going over certain speeds though. If I'm on the road in the winter with snow, I usually drive my tow vehicle or my work car. Jeep stays in the garage.

Trail wise, they are awesome. Haven't let me down yet. Occasionally I do experience some rear push through some tight turns that make me think that a rear selectable would've been a good move. but it doesn't happen enough.

Streetwise, once in a blue moon they'll bang or pop as they bind and release on a really tight turn, but that's the only thing I could think of that one might call a negative.

I run Yukon gears and Yukon Grizzly lockers. I've ran other gears and so have guys in my group. Nothing bad to say about G2 or any others really.

Reactions: 4lowcreep