Garage Floor Jack Recommendations?

DaveF

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
So my new Jeep is just a bit higher than vehicles I've worked on before... and my existing little 2 ton floor jack won't lift high enough.... any recommendations on a good floor jack for the garage?

Ha, I still use my Harbor Freight floor jack. It jacks up pretty high, but at 5" of lift on 35" tires, it's not tall enough to jack my Jeep up from the tub, only the frame (a little) or the axle (a lot). I just use a 4x4 piece of wood if I need to jack it up from the tub, then put jack stands under it, then remove the jack.

Ha, I still use my Harbor Freight floor jack. It jacks up pretty high, but at 5" of lift on 35" tires, it's not tall enough to jack my Jeep up from the tub, only the frame (a little) or the axle (a lot). I just use a 4x4 piece of wood if I need to jack it up from the tub, then put jack stands under it, then remove the jack.
Which HF Jack do you have?

I recently purchased this one off amazon for $34.00 (3 ton & 21 inches tall)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I love mine, and wouldn't mind having three more for the garage. I carry mine off-road, and after using it a couple of times for other guys flats, three or four guys have also bought one.

Thanks! But you guys suck...you just made me buy this, LOL. Can't wait to try it for $34! Looks beefier and more sturdy than the stock floor jack, I wonder what the stock bottle jack weight rating is? I have a couple floor jacks already, but I love bottle jacks since they are lighter, more portable, jack height per $ value is great, and they make compact useful helping hands for other projects (as shown in the Amazon pics).

51pcQlzF6fL._SX425_.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-Ton-Daytona-Professional-Steel-Floor-Jack-Super-Duty-63183.html

The tire shop i used to get my tires used HF floor jacks.
Asked the guy about it. He claimed that they work well if taken care of. IE oil changed and cleaned. Also they swap them out every 2 years before the warranty expires. (I know its cheating)
20180723_152537.jpg

Reactions: TJ Starting
I love mine, and wouldn't mind having three more for the garage. I carry mine off-road, and after using it a couple of times for other guys flats, three or four guys have also bought one.
I bought one at your recommendation about 8 months ago. I love it and keep recommending it to others. Thanks!

Reactions: b0xcar and derekmac
I have the Lincoln brand one used by the local Les Schwab stores. They're made in America (built by Hein-Werner), and rebuildable. After almost 20 years of use, the U-joint finally gave out on it. I just ordered a replacement U-joint for around $25. Several suppliers had it. Gotta love a rebuildable vs disposable tool. Not cheap, though. It's all about what you want for your money. :)

The tire shop i used to get my tires used HF floor jacks.
Asked the guy about it. He claimed that they work well if taken care of. IE oil changed and cleaned. Also they swap them out every 2 years before the warranty expires. (I know its cheating)
View attachment 52978
So, do you normally work on your Jeep with a giant pink gorilla in the passenger seat? ;)

I wish i owned it. It would be the best mod ever
It would definitely be an attention grabber. I’m imagining you doing 75 down the highway with that thing hanging out. Blahaha

I have just a regular HF floor jack.

I did just pick up two of those Powerbuit jack stand/bottle jack combos. If anyone looks at those, note that the difference between the $34 and the $58 ones are that the more expensive is a newer model. It has six pin adjustment holes instead of three, and some additional metal protection over the jacking mechanism.

Reactions: b0xcar and mots
My advice is to keep your eyes open for listings on Craigslist. I got my 2-ton jack along with 2 stands for $20. It wasn't brand new, but it was in great condition and the owner still had the manual to go with it, lol.