Gear Change 4.56

Yes please! I'm still trying to figure out what I need. I have 33's with a lift and it's a little sluggish. Forget 5th gear!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, RCI Jeep quoted me $1800 with two new carriers. When pressed they agreed I did not need a new carrier up front and could use a thick gear in the rear. New price was $1450 plus tx & supplies.

4 Wheel parts here in Orlando just quoted $1425 out the door.

Still getting a lot of push back on going with a 4.88.
They don't recommend going lower than 4.56.
They even pulled out "The Gear Chart" to show me how high my RPM would be ; )

Reactions: IamBR549
Those guys are idiots, especially puling out that "gear chart" which shows just how clueless they are. That chart only shows the RPMs you'd see with the Overdrive shut off, not when you're driving on the highway with the Overdrive enabled. Your rpms will only be 69% of what their chart says. Really.

Don't even consider 4.56.

Edit: Confirm what size tires you're installing or running. With 33's, you definitely (!!!) need 4.88. Only if you had the 5-speed manual transmission would that shop be correct to recommend 4.56 gearing.

P.S. I used to work for the parent company of 4Wheel Parts and worked every day with 5-6 of their shops. I had to spend much my time educating the sales people and shop people about appropriate gear ratios, drivetrain angles, etc. Most of them drive big V8 pickup trucks that someone else built for them and they're clueless on the various differences on Wranglers that make ratios appropriate or inappropriate. To them, 4.56 is a outer-space stupid-low ratio... but then they don't know any better.

Last edited:
Those guys are idiots, especially puling out that "gear chart" which shows just how clueless they are. That chart only shows the RPMs you'd see with the Overdrive shut off, not when you're driving on the highway with the Overdrive enabled. Your rpms will only be 69% of what their chart says. Really.

Don't even consider 4.56.
Thanks Jerry, when I told them to multiply that RPM by .69 to get the real number, they didn't know what I was talking about...

They were going to charge you 350 for an open carrier??? Sounds like they are clueless.

Like Jerry said, many people think anything lower than 4.10 or 4.56 is crazy low. Mention 5.13 and they choke.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford