Gear Change 4.56

X2, plus they always jack their first price quote up high in hopes you'll agree to the first price they give you. Not enough people know how to bargain for a lower prices so that devious trick often works for them.
Agree and would not take anything to them to work on. Just curious what they charged folks.

You have the tricky transmission to offer gears for. 4.10 and 4.56 are the two good recommendations. You have a lower overdrive (.84, meaning 5-6% higher rpm than the .78 and .79 AX15 and NV3550).

4.10 would put you very close to where 4.56 is with the 5-speeds, and 4.56 would put that rpm a little higher on the highway. Personally I would go with 4.56 for the little bit of extra power.

I've found that even guys at "Jeep places" are pretty clueless, regardless of how long they've been installing gears or dealing with Jeeps or whatever it is they do at the Jeep place.

As far as overgearing is concerned, I would MUCH rather be overgeared than undergeared. The only thing overgearing will hurt is maybe the MPG a tiny bit if you love to drive way too fast. Otherwise it'll just give you more power at the expensive of some negligible rpm unless you're extremely overgeared.
I have a 2003 TJ sport with an NV3550, i have 33" tires.

so If i were to regear at 4.10 it would be ok on the road, and i would most probably downshift on the highway when going up a hill like any other normal car or truck?

Yikes! I honestly couldn't guess the going rate nowadays but that does seem high. 1000 labor is nuts. Back in the day I could do a common gear swap in 4 hrs tops. Unless they are charging 200 bucks per hr that seems too high.

I just bought parts for mine; Revolution gears and install kits with Koyo bearings was 407 shipped; Dana 35 Truetrac and Dana 30 Aussie locker were 670 shipped. That is just straight cost, no discounts other than free shipping on the locker/TT.

Hell, maybe I should start doing some installs on the side, 500 labor would be a bargain :D

I'll hire you and ship you to Florida!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so If i were to regear at 4.10 it would be ok on the road, and i would most probably downshift on the highway when going up a hill like any other normal car or truck?

It would be okay at best but not ideal. Don’t go with 4.10. Ideally for 33’s you want at least 4.56 with the AX15 or NV3550. Then you won’t have to downshift on most hills, only those that are more steep or span a long distance.

The other guy has the 6-Speed which has an easier (lower) 6th gear than our 5th gears. If you were to compare his transmission in 6th and our transmissions in 5th, he would have higher rpm and more power, assuming both Jeeps are set on the same tires with the same axle gear ratio.

I am getting a quote from RCI Jeep in Melbourne FL now.
Not sure if I need a new carrier for the Dana 30 in the front.
Going from 3.73 to 4.88.
I will let you know what they quote me, maybe worth the drive from Ormond Beach...

Yes please! I'm still trying to figure out what I need. I have 33's with a lift and it's a little sluggish. Forget 5th gear!
Thanks!

It would be okay at best but not ideal. Don’t go with 4.10. Ideally for 33’s you want at least 4.56 with the AX15 or NV3550. Then you won’t have to downshift on most hills, only those that are more steep or span a long distance.

The other guy has the 6-Speed which has an easier (lower) 6th gear than our 5th gears. If you were to compare his transmission in 6th and our transmissions in 5th, he would have higher rpm and more power, assuming both Jeeps are set on the same tires with the same axle gear ratio.
Sounds like it'll almost be like i was still with my 235-75-15 with 3.07 right?

Need a little more info. Motor, trans type and year mod.

2003 wrangler X. Manual trans 4.0
In Florida mostly sand and a little mud. I want better handling on road and a possible front locker to improve off roading. Looking at true trac. Don't think u want a rear locker

Last edited:

I have a 2003 TJ Sport with the NV3550 5 speed and 33" tires. I re-geared to 4.56's and it's perfect!

It’ll be better than any tire with 3.07. To get the same stock feel, you’d have to run like 25” tires to get the same feel as 4.56 with 33’s. It’s a lot better than stock tires with 3.07.
Im sorry i missed some information there. i ment to say that if i regear to 4.10 with my 33s, it will feel like i had 235-75-15 on with 3.07.