Gear Change 4.56

Wait, I don't have over drive because I regeared to 5.13?
No, that has nothing to do with regearing your axles. Overdrive is part of and built into your transmission. Regearing your axles to 5.13 has nothing to do with that. You will still have the same Overdrive you do now after regearing the axles to 5.13.

Reactions: lovemachine
We'll update for me. Actually drove to the 4 wheel shop I called. Talked to the owner. Price is $1350 with G2 Gears. He mentioned another gear brand, but said it was $200 more. Price included gears amd kit and bearing. Said they would check the seals, calipers, rotors and wheel bearings. Would replace if necessary. 200 miles take it back and they inspect and check for filings. He didn't recommend the Revolution gears. I know very little about this, so those of you who have the Revolution, don't get mad at me. Probably schedule this late summer.

Thanks for the post and photos ref the RPMs. Very helpful. Will probably go with the 513s. Right now with 33s I am at around 1200 at 60. The Jeep really lugs and has to shift with a minor head wind. Great thread!!

... with G2 Gears... He didn't recommend the Revolution gears.
That price is fair but based on those two tidbits of information, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in everything he says. G2 is just the cheap house brand for 4Wheel Parts with a low price that gives a high margin for him. There's probably nothing wrong with them but for him to recommend against Revolution Gear is highly suspect.

Revolution Gear is, on the other hand, a premium brand that in most experienced builder's opinions is now the top quality brand of ring & pinion gears. Likely he's not a dealer for them or doesn't want to pay a little more for them. RGA gears are all made by Circle-K in S. Korea which has a sterling reputation for their strength and quality.

Reactions: ffighter405
That price is fair but based on those two tidbits of information, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in everything he says. G2 is just the cheap house brand for 4Wheel Parts with a low price that gives a high margin for him. There's probably nothing wrong with them but for him to recommend against Revolution Gear is highly suspect.

Revolution Gear is, on the other hand, a premium brand that in most experienced builder's opinions is now the top quality brand of ring & pinion gears. Likely he's not a dealer for them or doesn't want to pay a little more for them. RGA gears are all made by Circle-K in S. Korea which has a sterling reputation for their strength and quality.
Great info. Do you recommend the Revolution? He doesn't care what brand of gears.

Great info. Do you recommend the Revolution? He doesn't care what brand of gears.
I personally would strongly recommend Revolution but only if the installer is willing to source them through one of his distributors and install them. You don't want to buy them on your own and give the gears to him since if there was ever a problem in the future, he would blame the gears you gave him and take no ownership of the problem, only telling you he installed them properly.

Gear failures are, generally speaking, nearly always the fault of the installer.

Reactions: Rob5589 and DC0046
I personally would strongly recommend Revolution but only if the installer is willing to source them through one of his distributors and install them. You don't want to buy them on your own and give the gears to him since if there was ever a problem in the future, he would blame the gears you gave him and take no ownership of the problem, only telling you he installed them properly.

Gear failures are, generally speaking, nearly always the fault of the installer.
Thanks!

That chart is bogus. You cannot just come up with numbers for best mileage, reduced mileage, etc based on mathematic calculations. Every vehicle is different in it's optimum fuel efficiency rpm. That and it looks like it is calculated at 1:1 and does not take into account the overdrive.

That chart is bogus. You cannot just come up with numbers for best mileage, reduced mileage, etc based on mathematic calculations. Every vehicle is different in it's optimum fuel efficiency rpm. That and it looks like it is calculated at 1:1 and does not take into account the overdrive.
Think you reduce it by 30 percent for overdrive.

Quadratec is not exactly known for its accurate tech. I have written them off & on over the years pointing out tech errors. They kept an inaccurate speedometer gear chart on their site for years even after being alerted to the problem.

Last edited:
We'll update for me. Actually drove to the 4 wheel shop I called. Talked to the owner. Price is $1350 with G2 Gears. He mentioned another gear brand, but said it was $200 more. Price included gears amd kit and bearing. Said they would check the seals, calipers, rotors and wheel bearings. Would replace if necessary. 200 miles take it back and they inspect and check for filings. He didn't recommend the Revolution gears. I know very little about this, so those of you who have the Revolution, don't get mad at me. Probably schedule this late summer.

Thanks for the post and photos ref the RPMs. Very helpful. Will probably go with the 513s. Right now with 33s I am at around 1200 at 60. The Jeep really lugs and has to shift with a minor head wind. Great thread!!
Correction on the rpms, 1700......fat fingers......checked this afternoon, however, still lugs significantly.

That chart is OPTIMISTIC. I think they want you to think you can get to some build stage that is beyond you. It sounds like bait. I've got a few good deals from Quadratec, so not stomping them, just not realistic chart for everyone's TJ

This thread brings up some great points. I too, need to re gear to 4.56. I drive an 04 Rubicon with auto trans and 33s. I recently received a quote of $1,500 and one month out due to the shop being busy. Can someone provide a list of questions or parts to do this so I can ensure they would be doing everything they need to do at that price? Thanks in advance.
You need to regear to 5.13, not 4.56.

Gears, master installation kits, and labor are all the givens in the procedure, which is a bit of a high price for a regear. Since you have a Rubicon, you have 4.10 as it sits and don't need any carriers.

Do not regear to 4.56, that would be a huge mistake, seriously.

Edit: for some reason this thread wasn't showing all of the newest replies, so this has been covered! Regardless, don't make the mistake of not going low enough.

I am also going to regear. I have a 99 with 4.0 and the 32RH three speed auto. I am going to move up to 35's. I see so many different recommendations. I think 4.56 gears are what I will need. Am I correct?

4.56 would be the best overall ratio for you with 35's.

There are a few reasons why you see so many different recommendations.
1) there are lots of different engine and transmission combos and what is perfect for one does not apply to the others
2) people are clueless, and provide so much misinformation that it reaches the point of being incredibly unhelpful. Joe with his 4.0, 4.10, 33's and non-overdrive transmission will recommend 4.10 to John who has a 2.5, overdrive transmission and 37's, even though these setups are 100% different.

Go with 4.56, that's the best setup for the 4.0 and 3-speed auto used from 97-02 with 35" tires.

Ok, so what would I need for 33's.
6-Speed Manual NSG370
3.73 Dana 35

On a related note, I was talking to a guy at a Jeep place that re-gears. He didn't ask me any of this. I assumed I needed 4.56 and he said, "I went to gear school, been doing this my whole life, you don't actually need 4.56, it's slightly lower than that." He didn't state a ratio. He was very insistent that I don't overgear.

Ok, so what would I need for 33's.
6-Speed Manual NSG370
3.73 Dana 35

On a related note, I was talking to a guy at a Jeep place that re-gears. He didn't ask me any of this. I assumed I needed 4.56 and he said, "I went to gear school, been doing this my whole life, you don't actually need 4.56, it's slightly lower than that." He didn't state a ratio. He was very insistent that I don't overgear.

You have the tricky transmission to offer gears for. 4.10 and 4.56 are the two good recommendations. You have a lower overdrive (.84, meaning 5-6% higher rpm than the .78 and .79 AX15 and NV3550).

4.10 would put you very close to where 4.56 is with the 5-speeds, and 4.56 would put that rpm a little higher on the highway. Personally I would go with 4.56 for the little bit of extra power.

I've found that even guys at "Jeep places" are pretty clueless, regardless of how long they've been installing gears or dealing with Jeeps or whatever it is they do at the Jeep place.

As far as overgearing is concerned, I would MUCH rather be overgeared than undergeared. The only thing overgearing will hurt is maybe the MPG a tiny bit if you love to drive way too fast. Otherwise it'll just give you more power at the expensive of some negligible rpm unless you're extremely overgeared.