Gear pattern question 4.56 Yukons Eaton Truetrac

wavy

Currently working on regearing my 97’ TJ with Yukon 4.56 R&P and Eaton TruTrac front and rear on the Dana 35/30 with 33” tires 5speed. Timken bearings and races with the Yukon master install kits for both. I am running into some issues with the Dana 35. To start off, reused the factory shim behind the pinion as a starter depth; found out it was to shallow. Made a big adjustment of 12 thou behind the inner pinion bearing race and was do deep; long story short, found the happy medium at 5 thou behind the inner pinion bearing race and had a perfect pattern. Awesome, right, now for final install….so I thought. Went back to the bench with my pinion shims and setup race, grabbed the new race and shims and went back with the driver to install when it slid right in like it was a setup race with one ping from the BFH…..Uhhhh. I went back to the bench where I had another inner pinion race since I accidentally ordered two to make the setup and that one slipped in as well with one blow. Its not sloppy and doesn’t rock back and forth, so I went ahead and ordered some Loctite 660 bearing/race retainer and stuck it in; reinstalled the pinion without getting retainer on the bearing and let it sit for 24 hours. It setup beautifully and I was ready for final install….or so I thought. Got everything put back in the same way I originally had it before final install with a great pattern. Installed the pinion with the crush sleeve and new seal; 19 inch pounds of rotational force. Installed the carrier with 8 thou of backlash which I had before and preload good for what I hoped was the end of the 35 project. Well, got the bearing caps in and ran the final pattern and now it looks like the pinion is too shallow and needs to be brought closer to the ring gear; at least on the drive side in which I am most concerned about. The coast side looks about the same as it did before final install.

My question is, and it may be dumb, but would you guys run with this pattern? I am not overly confident running this pattern without checking with other people more versed in gears than I am. Or, since it’s really my only option with the inner pinion bearing race bonded to the housing, would you pull the pinion bearing off, add shims behind the bearing, re-press the bearing and try and work towards a more acceptable pattern? I’m more leaning towards adding shims to the pinion to make the pattern as good as it can be since I really don’t want to ruin 4.56 gears or my LSD. She wants to get back on the road! haha
Pics are fresh, had the R&P cleaned with brake clean before last install.

Any suggestions are appreciated fellas!

DE1AE280-89CF-47C7-8573-3047B6EFAC35.jpeg

D6F7782C-6510-4CEB-9621-24A9176A7B25.jpeg

71E09350-0C52-47DB-86BC-17318A840DCA.jpeg

85FCE13D-806F-4D21-AEDB-942C3C968872.jpeg

E744D244-B1E5-4397-B577-859F146D0A2C.jpeg

83EA9930-FD33-4671-BEF9-062506DC84CA.jpeg

84C4B854-A47F-4F06-86E9-570CA5D1D575.jpeg

You are correct that is too shallow to run. As much as it sucks take the time to get it right. Definitely shim under the inner bearing and consider getting a crush collar eliminator if you do not have one currently.

Question: Where do I find shims to go between the pinion head and the inner bearing? Everything that I have found goes behind the inner bearing race. Was looking to get this knocked out this weekend after being gone the past few weeks for work, but if I cant find the shims, I may be dead in the water.

No problem, I have the same setup and used these instead of the Yukon shims. They were good quality and made the install easy.

Good luck with getting it dialed in.