Gear ratios for 33'' tires

ok so highway driving is the best? and how much do you think my speedometer will be off?

not sure. I spent $40 on this gear that fixes it. There is a chart where you select your tire height and then rear end ratio and it tells you how many teeth. Sucks but that’s hidden cost to this deal.

I can’t say for sure highway is best because id have to drive the same Jeep with both 4.46 and 4.88 to be absolutely sure in terms of how I feel about it.

I went to the Grimm jeeper site and completed the forms. I then compared the output at a given RPM and compared it to my Corolla for some sense of RPM at highway speed. Very unscientific but it made me confident enough to move forward.

another question for y'all, is it essential to change all of my bearings? or can i just change my ring and pinion?

My Jeep has 130K miles so we rebuilt everything. Also, you will have to get a new carrier for the front and back to accommodate the higher (numerically) gear ratio. So add $400 to your budget for that.

another question for y'all, is it essential to change all of my bearings? or can i just change my ring and pinion?
Your installer will be using a master install kit for each axle which includes shims and all new carrier and pinion bearings which are required.

My Jeep has 130K miles so we rebuilt everything. Also, you will have to get a new carrier for the front and back to accommodate the higher (numerically) gear ratio. So add $400 to your budget for that.
ok i think that i have pretty good baseline of pricing etc, thanks for all of the help y'all.

Thick cut gears are also an option if the carriers do not accommodate deeper gears

Need to do the same.
(4.0, 5spd, 33”, 3.07)
Assuming I need carriers, what should I plan to budget for the swap (in CT)?
I do my own work, but know when to pay for someone’s experience! Thinking 4.56 and a TT in rear. I know it’s all arbitrary, just looking for ballpark.

Need to do the same.
(4.0, 5spd, 33”, 3.07)
I do my own work, but know when to pay for someone’s experience! Thinking 4.56 and a TT in rear. I know it’s all arbitrary, just looking for ballpark.
I would guess probably $1k in labor and maybe another $1k in parts to replace the carriers with factory style. Generally it takes about 5-10 hours of labor per axle to set up new gears. The carrier is removed as a part of the regear, so changing the carrier doesn't increase the labor cost.

So plan for around $2k. You might be able to find a good deal for $1.5k or so. Be sure to call around. Most shops will warranty whatever house brand they have. If you get a choice of brands, consider Dana-Spicer gears and Revolution gears.

Consider adding lockers if you like to do a lot of off-road. The only real difference in price will be the parts cost versus open differentials. It's a lot cheaper (like $1k cheaper) than adding them after a regear due to the labor savings. If you do go for lockers, consider a Super 35 and Super 30 at the same time to reduce the odds of shaft breakage.

Interesting. None of the shops I consulted offered that option.
Shops work on too many different types of vehicles to become truly expert on many of them or things like thick gear sets. A thick ring gear allows a lower ratio (like 4.88, 5.13, 5.38, etc.) set of gears to be installed on a carrier meant for higher ratios like 3.07 or 3.73. Not many realize thick gears are available for situations like this.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Shops work on too many different types of vehicles to become truly expert on many of them or things like thick gear sets. A thick ring gear allows a lower ratio (like 4.88, 5.13, 5.38, etc.) set of gears to be installed on a carrier meant for higher ratios like 3.07 or 3.73. Not many realize thick gears are available for situations like this.

that certainly would have presented a way to save some coin. I went with truetracs anyway but it would have been cool to have least know that I could. I went to a 4x4 shop but not Jeep exclusive.

Need to do the same.
(4.0, 5spd, 33”, 3.07)

I paid $2,100 for 4.56 front and back truetrac. Expect to save around $300 if you want to go open in the front. The gears are Yukon. It come with gears and then the bearings and seals and all such.

I am just a regular joe calling around. No sponsor, no friends, no deals.

I had 33s + 3.07 gearing + manual trans.

It really SUCKS having to rev to 2500rpm+ to leave a redlight. Always feeling like it's going to stall out from a stop. Soon to install 4.56gears. I wanted to get 4.88 but the site I ordered from didn't have them. But Jerry had suggested to me before that I should go 4.56 and not 4.88, so I'm pretty satisfied with getting 4.56's

What RPM are you guys with 4.0, 5 speed, 33" tires and 4.56's running at say 70?

What RPM are you guys with 4.0, 5 speed, 33" tires and 4.56's running at say 70?

See the calculator; http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

1711144377281.png

4.56 on 33s (32.5" actual) should be about perfect unless you live in high elevation or mountains.

I'll toss in 2 cents. I also have a 2001 / 4.0 / 5 speed manual. To think about doing it in stages it is really important to know what your current gear set is. If your running 3.07s on stock tires and move to 33's it will be snail sluggish, do it all at the same time. If you have 3.73s and move to 33s it will be tolerable. I ran for almost a year on that combo (3.73/33s), 5th gear is only useful on a flat highway and you will need to down shift on slight hills. When I did my gears, I chose to skip over 4.56 and go to 4.88 because I live just south of you in North Idaho and the little deeper gearing in the mountains here is helpful and I anticipate going to 35s before I am done with my mods. For a 95% road / 5% fire road rig on 33s, 4.56 will be right on the money.

if your just cruising mountain roads to see back country, not getting into deep mud or lifting tires, I highly recommend putting a truetrac LSD in the rear and if you have the bucks, the front is nice to have too but not a big deal. Great LSD in the snow and being gear driven there is no maintenance to speak of.

For the RPM question my 33s measure closer to 32 so I am running just shy of 3000 RPM at 70 on 4.88s, but most of the roads around here are 60 - 65 so I am in the 2600-2700 range most of the time.

That might be 3 cents worth but there you go. Oh welcome to the forum!

Reactions: Harold&Cat
See the calculator; http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

View attachment 511584

4.56 on 33s (32.5" actual) should be about perfect unless you live in high elevation or mountains.

My 02 with the 5 speed runs 33's with 4.56 and I love it. Some here will say 4.88 is better, but there's no way it's better enough to warrant the expense imho. Now if you're coming from some lower numerical ratio, idk. But for me, 4.56 is fantastic.

Reactions: BlueC