GenRight or UCF engine skid plate?

Good Hope

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Looking to install an engine skid plate and have several options in mind, two of which are the Genright "Engine/Transmission Skid Plate Kit" https://genright.com/shop-by-vehicle/jeep-tj-97-06/engine-transmission-skid-plate-kit/ and the "UCF Aluminum Engine Skid Plate" https://undercoverfab.com/aluminum-...num-engine-skid-plate-for-03-06-tjlj-40l.html The UCF seems a lot like the Savvy engine skid, which people seem to like. The Genright is intriguing because it seems like the actual aluminum skid plate could be, if damaged, unbolted from the skid plate support frame and replaced fairly easy because it is just flat plate (and I can bend/weld the steel support structure if it needs attention, I just don't have the equipment to weld aluminum). Both of the skids say they are made of 6061-T6 - looking to stay "lightish" with this build, but I'm not fanatical about it.

My jeep is an LJ with a custom crossmember and transfer case skid so I can fabricate whatever I need to attach either skid to it, so that part doesn't really matter. Jeep also has the standard Currie "stock style" suspension, so no funky interference issues to worry about.

I also like the Savvy engine skid, but I don't think it is available, but I probably should contact them and double check.

So does anyone have experience with the Genright engine skid? Or the UCF? Pros and Cons, other than price? What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Savvy is the way to go. It is without a doubt the best designed engine skid on the market. I'm not sure where GenRight falls, but I promise you that if you only have one choice, Savvy is the best choice (y)

Reactions: Modoc Guy
I made an engine skid purchase (within the last 3 months) with UCF but prior to shipment changed my mind and decided to go with a full skid and called UCF (Matt) and he canceled the order told me exactly which full skid would work. In summary, I thought the UCF customer service was great. Savvy looks like they have very little product in stock/significant amount of the items are back ordered (according to their web site). I read on another thread on this forum guys have been waiting months (6-8) for items, multiple calls emails to Savvy asking about there order and zero reply. However, on the other hand I ordered a SAVVY Gas tank skid 2 months ago (the web site listed 3 available - by the time I ordered only 1 was left) and received it within 10-14 days. In summary, I recommend you hit the SAVVY web site, if what your looking for is back ordered and you can wait months go for it, if you can't wait months go another route/company.

Have to admit I don't see much difference between the Savvy and the UFC, but the pictures aren't too clear so who knows?!? I have an email in to Savvy regarding availability - I have had good luck getting a response in the past so we will see if that continues. Still intrigued by the idea of being able to replace parts when they get bent with the Genright though. That said, the Genright is more expensive and will take a lot more work to install.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I removed the stock skid plate and drop spacer and installed the UFC Deep Cover Skid Plate System (UCF077) (engine/transfer case). I went with the one that did not require the body lift. I improved the ground clearance about 1-1/2" with this UFC system.

IMG_1868.JPG

Thanks - I have a skid plate I build myself that sticks below the frame about 1.5 inches. I also built my own crossmember because I wanted to use the factory rubber mount and I couldn't find anyone who made one like that. Now I just need to figure out where to go with the front engine skid. Winter is coming, which is kinda wheeling season here in the desert southwest, so I would like get the front skid done in the next two months, which might rule out Savvy.

If it’s just the engine skid you need, I’d just go UCF and not worry about savvy availability. The savvy transfer case skid is worth waiting for though if you needed both

Reactions: PNW_LJ
The UCF engine skid is alot shorter than the savvy. How far forward of the front most tcase skid bolt does your skid extend?

Lou- thanks for the insight. I left the skid what I think is long towards the front because I didn’t know the dimensions of front skids and this is a piece I anticipated buying rather than building. I don’t know the dimensions using the front bolts as a reference because I am at work, but I know it currently overlaps the transmission pan by about an inch. Plan is to cut the main skid back a little after figuring out the engine skid.

If it’s just the engine skid you need, I’d just go UCF and not worry about savvy availability. The savvy transfer case skid is worth waiting for though if you needed both

Thanks-we will see if I get a response from Savvy in the next couple of days.

• Haha
Reactions: Igoo65
Savvy is the way to go. It is without a doubt the best designed engine skid on the market. I'm not sure where GenRight falls, but I promise you that if you only have one choice, Savvy is the best choice (y)

Savvy seems overly complicated. What makes it better than others?

Savvy seems overly complicated. What makes it better than others?

The fact that it includes crossmembers so you can remove the skid plate and still have the transmission supported at the same time. Plus, Blaine designed it and I know Blaine’s eye for detail.

Reactions: MikeE024
I'm trying not to laugh at this. Godspeed Jeep friend.

I actually had a nice email back and forth with Savvy about a few of their “large parts”. Ultimately, they said that they had not completely discontinued production of parts such as skids, sliders, etc., but that they were currently not producing parts and had no eta for when production would restart. I still check their site periodically but everything I have heard indicates a company in trouble , or one that has just moved on from providing parts for our old jeeps. Unfortunately, If they have moved on, then so must we.

I'm a huge Genright fan b/c of the top notch customer service. That being said, I went with the UCF engine and transfer case skids. I'm happy with them.

I actually had a nice email back and forth with Savvy about a few of their “large parts”. Ultimately, they said that they had not completely discontinued production of parts such as skids, sliders, etc., but that they were currently not producing parts and had no eta for when production would restart. I still check their site periodically but everything I have heard indicates a company in trouble , or one that has just moved on from providing parts for our old jeeps. Unfortunately, If they have moved on, then so must we.

Yea I have the Savvy engine skid mounted to my factory TC skid, I too have been waiting months for them to get the TC skids back in stock w/o any updates so I may have to move on to another Mfg.

• Sad
Reactions: RINC
Yea I have the Savvy engine skid mounted to my factory TC skid, I too have been waiting months for them to get the TC skids back in stock w/o any updates so I may have to move on to another Mfg.

FWIW, I ordered my transfer case skid a couple of years ago and followed up with an email many months later because I was beginning to wonder what happened with the order. The part showed up a few days later without any other form of communication (I'll take it!).

Savvy makes production orders as they seem fit, and my complete guess is that some replenishment orders aren't made until they see sufficient demand (backorder purchases). Again, I have no idea if that's true or if it's largely luck that they supply the part you need when you need it. But, my engine skid and shifter cable were also ordered on backorder and showed up right on schedule (a few months later).

If you can wait, the parts are absolutely worth it. But, I don't blame anyone who chooses not to play by those rules.

Reactions: rasband
I forgot not everyone with a Jeep has a welder.

I hear ya. I ended up building my own crossmember and skid, but mostly because I wanted to use the factory trans mount on the crossmember and couldn’t find anyone who made one that did (I don’t want vibes and my rig is more of a trail runner than a JV rock crawler). The project came out pretty good, but I will likely build another skid someday that will improve on the design. For me, fabrication is just part of the hobby. But I will admit, my skid design looks suspiciously like Savvy’s.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I made an engine skid purchase (within the last 3 months) with UCF but prior to shipment changed my mind and decided to go with a full skid and called UCF (Matt) and he canceled the order told me exactly which full skid would work. In summary, I thought the UCF customer service was great. Savvy looks like they have very little product in stock/significant amount of the items are back ordered (according to their web site). I read on another thread on this forum guys have been waiting months (6-8) for items, multiple calls emails to Savvy asking about there order and zero reply. However, on the other hand I ordered a SAVVY Gas tank skid 2 months ago (the web site listed 3 available - by the time I ordered only 1 was left) and received it within 10-14 days. In summary, I recommend you hit the SAVVY web site, if what your looking for is back ordered and you can wait months go for it, if you can't wait months go another route/company.

I got one of those 3 gas tank skids, funny I just happened to go on and saw a quantity ordered it right away. I have not installed it yet.