Getting a dog in a TJ

Bratch

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Last year we lost our dear Border Collie that is in my avatar. At 40# and very calm I could easily pick her up and put her in the backseat.

We have adopted a 2 year old German Shepherd that is close to 80#. He can bail in and out of the back of my wife’s SUV with no problem but we haven’t figured out how to work the Jeep. He’s been through quite a bit so I am not ready to pick him and and manhandled him.

We use the Jeep as a weekend cruiser and are looking forward to taking him with us on our weekend adventures. As it is now we will either have to drive her car which means the Jeep will just sit or leave him at home which we don’t want to do.

Any advice or tips for what you guys have found for getting a larger furry kid in and out of a TJ? We do have the backseat in since the sub is mounted under it.

Hold a chunk of steak or hamburger next to his nose and let him see you put it inside the Jeep's back seat (or front seat). Maybe give him something to step up onto to make that first attempt doable.

U can get one of those dog ramps on amazon and other places. I've been looking at them myself since my dog just had knee acl surgery.

U can get one of those dog ramps on amazon and other places. I've been looking at them myself since my dog just had knee acl surgery.

We had one of the ramps for the Border Collie and she hated it, need to get it out of the attic and see if he would use it.

Lift with your back, not your knees....or something like that.
3E06239F-0769-451C-8B2D-3224223EAB83.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Hog and THEREALJIM
Last year we lost our dear Border Collie that is in my avatar. At 40# and very calm I could easily pick her up and put her in the backseat.

We have adopted a 2 year old German Shepherd that is close to 80#. He can bail in and out of the back of my wife’s SUV with no problem but we haven’t figured out how to work the Jeep. He’s been through quite a bit so I am not ready to pick him and and manhandled him.

We use the Jeep as a weekend cruiser and are looking forward to taking him with us on our weekend adventures. As it is now we will either have to drive her car which means the Jeep will just sit or leave him at home which we don’t want to do.

Any advice or tips for what you guys have found for getting a larger furry kid in and out of a TJ? We do have the backseat in since the sub is mounted under it.
We've used this step for all our dogs, old, young, some 100lbs.
20191007_111435.jpg

20191007_111515.jpg

20191007_111504.jpg

I had a 40 lb Border Collie and a 45 lb Australian Cattle Dog (both RIP). They could leap into my Jeep like they were grabbing the Thanksgiving Turkey off our kitchen island (ACD did that once, not a happy wife moment). Now we have a 60 lb nonathletic mutt, and I have to pick her up. I think a step up a trailer hitch like @Tomcat posted would work well but new spoiled dog likes me doing the physical work.

Reactions: Rick Flair
German Shepherds are excellent jumpers. I have two and they have no problem jumping into mine, even with a 4" lift. All I did at first was hold a treat and they jumped right in.

I have a 30# cocker/cavalier mix. Just a little guy. He jumps into my jeep NO problems. You just gotta get your boy used to the idea of taking a ride in the jeep, is all. He'll do the work. We also had a 95# Amstaf/St. Bernard mix. He would jump into the Jeep easily too.

1591978676627.png

Get rid of the back seat if you don't need it. He can jump in the back easier than the front & will have more room in the back
Removing the seat helps my little guy feel more comfortable so he isn't up at level with top of fender. Don't want the guy sitting on the sub either. Must think about those sensitive ears.
Seat and sub out, then all it will take are the magic words Mine loves to hear.

Reactions: RD3 and zebra12
As already mentioned, try coaxing with a high-value treat. Most dogs like Greenies.
Our 70lb. Shepherd mix has irrational fears, I have to accompany her down stairs, and she won't jump a 2ft. baby gate, but she leaps in and out of the Jeep on her own.

My female boxer can’t make the leap. I have her put her paws on the door sill and then lift her up. Now that she’s got the routine figured out, she‘ll jump, knowing that I grab her and help guide her up as she jumps