Lot of bad advice in this thread. The good has been buried in the mix. Vibes at 70 mph? No reason to lose any sleep. Most Jeeps rarely see 70mph! Vibes are caused by the driveline, not steering components and tires. Don’t waste your time and money looking there. Focus on the driveline and u-joints. Remove the front driveshaft to try to isolate the source. Then the rear. Report back.

FYI. Tires out of balance can cause a shimmy, and worn front out suspension components can cause death wobble, not vibes starting at 70mph.

Reactions: jjvw
I'll be in Charleston if that's closer to you in a week... What I'm saying is find a member that knows what they're looking at and the gas and time you take will be cheaper than all the crap a shop will do that's guessing.

They will tell you you need dual stabilizers and you need this and you need that and you don't need this and you don't need that.... The TJ is a misunderstood vehicle because old school mechanics had leaf spring backgrounds and new school mechanics deal with rack and pinion and front wheel drive... These things are basically a Coil Spring setup just like a 2004 or later Ford truck front end, just smaller scale.

I'm not saying the Forum can take the place of a shop...but if I had it to do over again I would have gotten on the Forum and spent a lot more time before I ever got a TJ or took a TJ to a shop...

We know what we are looking for.

if you will post pictures we can probably see some things that will get you in the ballpark and then it will just be a little bit of tuning.

If I'm speaking out of turn, you guys put me in my place but as a rule we love to help.

AndyG

Lot of bad advice in this thread. The good has been buried in the mix. Vibes at 70 mph? No reason to lose any sleep. Most Jeeps rarely see 70mph! Vibes are caused by the driveline, not steering components and tires. Don’t waste your time and money looking there. Focus on the driveline and u-joints. Remove the front driveshaft to try to isolate the source. Then the rear. Report back.

FYI. Tires out of balance can cause a shimmy, and worn front out suspension components can cause death wobble, not vibes starting at 70mph.
This is an excellent excellent post... Vibes at high speed ..pull the front shaft....if that doesn't change anything put it back in put it in four-wheel drive high pull the rear shaft and drive it.

Then go from there. Good post, solid.

Reactions: jjvw

So tap the brakes a hair. If you read his multiple posts, he said “He hits bumps and seams in the road and it pulls all over the place”

Now, if telling him to look at Drop Pitman Arm for the bump steer is bad advice?

He said when he breaks it moves all over, and it sways back and forth scarily.

Now his first post talked about vibrations, but he elaborated a lot.

If you have rotted out suspension bushings all over and bump steer....it’s a little hard to dial in vibes from a driveshaft. I agree, that needs to be done, but I would do it after getting these other components corrected was my point. I just went through this, and when you have all worn out bushings everywhere, it makes the whole dam Jeep go all over the place.

So tap the brakes a hair. If you read his multiple posts, he said “He hits bumps and seams in the road and it pulls all over the place”

Now, if telling him to look at Drop Pitman Arm for the bump steer is bad advice?

He said when he breaks it moves all over, and it sways back and forth scarily.

Now his first post talked about vibrations, but he elaborated a lot.

If you have rotted out suspension bushings all over and bump steer....it’s a little hard to dial in vibes from a driveshaft. I agree, that needs to be done, but I would do it after getting these other components corrected was my point. I just went through this, and when you have all worn out bushings everywhere, it makes the whole dam Jeep go all over the place.
I just re-read all his posts, and he said the Jeep sways when he hits a bump or dip. Sorry, I missed that. Could be tire tracking or suspension or both. I definitely agree with your comment about a drop pitman needing to go if he has one.

From what I can deduce, the OP said; 1) handles poorly at high speed, 2) when braking at high speed if hitting a bump or dip, 3) vibrations at 70mph, 4) any advice on improving handling and stability.

It just seemed like the advice was all over the place in this thread. Maybe the guy just needs a whole suspension refresh. I think you can dial out vibes anytime though. Might not be fun while driving at highway speeds though! 🤣

I just re-read all his posts, and he said the Jeep sways when he hits a bump or dip. Sorry, I missed that. Could be tire tracking or suspension or both. I definitely agree with your comment about a drop pitman needing to go if he has one.

From what I can deduce, the OP said; 1) handles poorly at high speed, 2) when braking at high speed if hitting a bump or dip, 3) vibrations at 70mph, 4) any advice on improving handling and stability.

It just seemed like the advice was all over the place in this thread. Maybe the guy just needs a whole suspension refresh. I think you can dial out vibes anytime though. Might not be fun while driving at highway speeds though! 🤣
That's what I'm saying ...it's seldom one big thing ...typically it's cumulative small things creating an overall vague handling Jeep.

Reactions: JMT
I know the old Skyjacker 4" lifts came with a dpa. If you have one, remove it and go back to stock and most of your troubles will be gone. It sounds like your shocks and springs are just shot.

p.s. I wish you were a little closer to Charlottesville or I would come check everything out for you.
What’s a “dpa”? My TJ that I’ve only had a few weeks is having similar bad road manners at speed. Shocks & balancing have helped & I’m sure that I’m getting more used to it. I’ve been told here that buying cam bolts for the lower control arms & adjusting the camber from 3 degrees to 6.5 degrees makes a big difference so I’m getting that done soon.

What’s a “dpa”? My TJ that I’ve only had a few weeks is having similar bad road manners at speed. Shocks & balancing have helped & I’m sure that I’m getting more used to it. I’ve been told here that buying cam bolts for the lower control arms & adjusting the camber from 3 degrees to 6.5 degrees makes a big difference so I’m getting that done soon.
dropped pitman arm, If you have one, drop it and replace with stock. They are notorious for causing bump steer.

Good stuff JMT, it was all over I agree, but it’s going to be about 8 things that get fixed and before he knows if he has other issues, ha.