Going from load range E tires, to load range D

Thanks for sharing! I've been doing some reading about this topic as well. My research was spurred by the forum conversations here and when I ordered my tires from Tire Rack. I have always seen the load ratings, but I have mostly worked on cars or vehicles with straightforward load ratings or categories (LL = Light Load, SL = Standard Load, XL = Extra Load etc.). They made sense to me, and I mostly ignored them anyhow since I always replaced the stock tires with the same recommended stock tire size\type\rating. I never really took the time to understand what it all meant (ply ratings, max load pressures, max weights etc.), I just researched the best tires for my vehicle, bought them, and looked at the door jam to see what PSI I should run.

Now, with the Jeep, it was the first time I have ever ordered tires that were not in the stock size. I even got the little pop-up on Tire Rack:). I think it gave me a load warning, but the core issue was because the diameter was larger than stock (C load rating was the same as stock). Made me scratch my head for a second. And, with the light truck load ratings being different than I was used to (C,D,E etc.), I figured I had better learn what the load rating was really about and make sure I didn't make any wrong choices.

Question: for 32x11.5xR15 A/T tires (BFG KO2), what do you think a good cold tire pressure would be for 80\20 city\highway driving? Stock 30's are 29 PSI, so I was thinking maybe 27-28 PSI?

Good man! Although, this place (the forum) is just full of enablers helping you spend every last dollar!

I somehow ordered a SYE, Tailshaft and a Novak transfer case cable kit a few nights ago. Was just checking shipping costs next thing, thanks for the order. Even I sat there thinking, did I just do that.

I somehow ordered a SYE, Tailshaft and a Novak transfer case cable kit a few nights ago. Was just checking shipping costs next thing, thanks for the order. Even I sat there thinking, did I just do that.
I know, right. Like, what am I doing on here right now? I somehow live vicariously through spending other peoples money. I’m sure they do the same. I keep needing to make a call to Allen’s Off-road about buying my REvolution Gears, and some Zero Rust place to buy some paint for the axle, and why not a paint gun for my compressor? Why not just make the call. I’m going to buy it all anyway.IDK I need to get a second job though, I know that!

Reactions: Daz7
Now I not only have the 5000X on my Jeep and very happy with them. I just installed them on my 2001 ford f-150 4x4.
for my truck My problem is im running new stock re-tread BF goodrich AT KO2 with a rating of LT and D range. Think im going to sale them for a (P) tire with a C range and things will be at piece.

. . . My problem is I'm running new stock re-tread BF goodrich AT KO2 with a rating of LT and D range. Think I'm going to sell them for a (P) tire with a C range and things will be at piece.

There is no such thing as a P (passenger) tire with a "C" load rating. Also, P-rated tires won't stand up to offroad use. What you want for your jeep is an LT tire with a C load rating.

As many of you know, I recently switched from my factory Moab wheels and 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac tires to a set of 17" AEV Pintlers and 35x12.5 BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrain tires.

The Duratracs were load E, and these new KM2s are load D.

I ideally wanted a load C, but I found that the majority of tires for 17" rims seem to be load D.

Anyhow, I had never driven my TJ on anything but load E tires. Even my previous TJ had the same tires, so I really had nothing to compare them to. I would constantly hear people such as @Jerry Bransford suggesting that people complaining of a stiff ride switch to a C rated tire.

Well, I'm hear to report that this is no joke. I have my KM2s at 26 psi (same psi I ran the Duratracs at), and the difference is surreal... seriously.

I thought it rode really well on the Duratracs with the Rancho RS5000X shocks (which it did), but this is a whole different experience altogether. I can't feel anything in the road anymore, and it just soaks up everything.

I'm blown away by how much of a difference this made, as I wasn't expecting it to be that noticeable. I can only imagine how a C rated tire would compare to my D rated tires!

The moral of the story here is that load rating makes a huge difference in the ride of the vehicle, probably even more so than shocks I'd venture to say! Just don't forget to run them at the right psi!

I'm a big believer now, that's for sure.

To those of you complaining about how your TJ doesn't ride like a JK... Get some Rancho RS5000X shocks, get some C or D rated tires, and run them at 26 psi. Then you can stop complaining!

I can’t wait to get rid of my E rated tires. I have been given a lot of crap on this site for suggesting that a load rating is a contributor to ride quality. Thanks for confirming what I have been saying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KMG and Chris
I can’t wait to get rid of my E rated tires. I have been given a lot of crap on this site for suggesting that a load rating is a contributor to ride quality. Thanks for confirming what I have been saying!

There's no doubt in my mind anymore whatsoever that load rating is indeed a determining factor in ride quality. Good shocks are part of it, tire psi is another part of it, and then load rating is the other part of it.

Get all of those right, and you WILL have a TJ that rides as good as as a solid axle vehicle can ride at least.

People are funny... they go test drive a JL and wonder why it drives so well. Because it's setup correctly from the factor, that's why. Throw some E rated tires on there, some crappy shocks, and up your tire psi... then tell me how your new JL rides.

The tire industry has a rating system for several reasons one of the reasons is to match the tires to the weight of the vehicle for safety, weight carrying ability and ride quality. Maybe NOW some here will understand why I have not accepted the argument that a load range E tire at any reasonable psi, can provide the kind of ride a TJ can have. WOW was that so hard!

The tire industry has a rating system for several reasons one of the reasons is to match the tires to the weight of the vehicle for safety, weight carrying ability and ride quality. Maybe NOW some here will understand why I have not accepted the argument that a load range E tire at any reasonable psi, can provide the kind of ride a TJ can have. WOW was that so hard!

My load range E tires at 26 psi weren't bad. Anything over 26 psi and they really started to suck.

However, in comparing the load range E tires at 26 psi to these load range D tires at 26 psi, the difference is very profound.

Reactions: BendLarry