Got hit again!

how is the tech in it?...lol
I was waiting for someone to ask! ;)

Ridiculous.

Blind spot monitor - expensive tech to replace a $1.50 spot mirror.
Lane departure warning/correction - false positives all over the place, got turned off. And I'm going to trust the "automatic panic braking" thing? I don't think so! That got turned off too, although I left the warning on.
Auto stop/start - only works if you have your foot on the brake. As I usually shift an automatic into neutral and take my foot off the brake when I have to wait any length of time at all, its pretty useless. If I *do* have my foot on the brake, my reaction time when the lite changes is faster than the car's startup time which results in a "sub-optimal" launch - so I turn that off (each time).
Backup camera. More expensive tech "necessitated" by poor rearward visibility (and our Benevolent OverLords). I'll admit that its nice, but why is it really needed and why would I want to pay for it? I could see it on a motorhome and it would be heaven sent for backing up a trailer, but on a plain passenger vehicle?
Don't get me started on the (HUGE) fucking touchscreen - but at least there are real knobs for the HVAC, and even volume. Screen gets turned off other than to set the station on the radio. No nav on this model, which would at least justify its presence. Radio has a USB port, which is good.

Wife hates the Nanny State "Drive safely and obey all traffic laws" message that comes up when first starting the car. There's also a welcome chime that plays at start up and shut down. I kinda liked it, but she didn't - off that went.

With that said, the automatic transmission is pretty good for an automatic. The manual mode works well and we use it quite a bit, esp. on downshifts. Has 8 speeds apparently.

Interestingly, the one potential feature I really wanted to try was an adaptive cruise control as I'm a cruise control junkie. It doesn't have that! I don't know if I'd like it or hate it, so I want to try one sometime.

It rides well, and seems to accomplish its tasks competently enough - but like most Asian transportation appliances, its mind numbingly dull. Can't hear the engine much at all, zero road feel. Engine has an insane amount of power. I'd certainly recommend it for someone looking for a transportation appliance - which are most people today. Feels big, great forward visibility through the large windshield and its "Flintstone" roofline - which also contributes to the poor rearward visibility.

Last edited:
In my book, its just paying attention to my driving - wish more people would do it...

alright enough of the hate speech

ambulance.jpg

I was waiting for someone to ask! ;)

Ridiculous.

Blind spot monitor - expensive tech to replace a $1.50 spot mirror.
Lane departure warning/correction - false positives all over the place, got turned off. And I'm going to trust the "automatic panic braking" thing? I don't think so! That got turned off too, although I left the warning on.
Auto stop/start - only works if you have your foot on the brake. As I usually shift an automatic into neutral and take my foot off the brake when I have to wait any length of time at all, its pretty useless. If I *do* have my foot on the brake, my reaction time when the lite changes is faster than the car's startup time which results in a "sub-optimal" launch - so I turn that off (each time).
Backup camera. More expensive tech "necessitated" by poor rearward visibility (and our Benevolent OverLords). I'll admit that its nice, but why is it really needed and why would I want to pay for it? I could see it on a motorhome and it would be heaven sent for backing up a trailer, but on a plain passenger vehicle?
Don't get me started on the (HUGE) fucking touchscreen - but at least there are real knobs for the HVAC, and even volume. Screen gets turned off other than to set the station on the radio. No nav on this model, which would at least justify its presence. Radio has a USB port, which is good.

Wife hates the Nanny State "Drive safely and obey all traffic laws" message that comes up when first starting the car. There's also a welcome chime that plays at start up and shut down. I kinda liked it, but she didn't - off that went.

With that said, the automatic transmission is pretty good for an automatic. The manual mode works well and we use it quite a bit, esp. on downshifts. Has 8 speeds apparently.

Interestingly, the one potential feature I really wanted to try was an adaptive cruise control as I'm a cruise control junkie. It doesn't have that! I don't know if I'd like it or hate it, so I want to try one sometime.

It rides well, and seems to accomplish its tasks competently enough - but like most Asian transportation appliances, its mind numbingly dull. Can't hear the engine much at all, zero road feel. Engine has an insane amount of power. I'd certainly recommend it for someone looking for a transportation appliance - which are most people today. Feels big, great forward visibility through the large windshield and its "Flintstone" roofline - which also contributes to the poor rearward visibility.

I too hate fully integrated screens, wife's 2016 Benz has all controls in the screen....but it is not a touch screen? You have to spin a dial to pick what you want to change, I can't even change the radio. Now I don't hate all tech, I like blind spot, especially when the suv is packed with stuff and you can't see out of the poorly located rear quarter panel window. I like the camera for safety even though I do look, rear cross traffic alert is nice pulling out of a parking spot when big vehicles are on either side. No use for lane departure and despise auto engine shut off.

I too hate fully integrated screens, wife's 2016 Benz has all controls in the screen....but it is not a touch screen? You have to spin a dial to pick what you want to change, I can't even change the radio. Now I don't hate all tech, I like blind spot, especially when the suv is packed with stuff and you can't see out of the poorly located rear quarter panel window. I like the camera for safety even though I do look, rear cross traffic alert is nice pulling out of a parking spot when big vehicles are on either side. No use for lane departure and despise auto engine shut off.
The blind spot system makes zero sense to me - its nothing that a cheap spot mirror won't do for you. Wife's car has a spot mirror on it from the factory, I've added them to the Jeep and Benz.

The other guy didn't see me coming and turned in front of me. I was doing 60, tried to avoid him. That obviously didn't work. My car is one month old today, I was on a 5hr trip and my wife said I'd be more comfortable in this car than I would be in my LJ. I'm glad I took her advice, this would have been worse for me in my Jeep.

The other guy didn't see me coming and turned in front of me. I was doing 60, tried to avoid him. That obviously didn't work. My car is one month old today, I was on a 5hr trip and my wife said I'd be more comfortable in this car than I would be in my LJ. I'm glad I took her advice, this would have been worse for me in my Jeep.

Would have been much worse for him if you where driving the LJ.

Got it back today:
DSC01070.JPG

DSC01071.JPG

"Like it never even happened"...

BUT - I didn't even get home with it before I was hit yet AGAIN! No damage, thank Goddess - sitting in line at a red lite and I get a love tap from some dingbat woman in a Nissan of some kind. "I thought you were creeping up!" Yea, THAT makes a lot of sense - NOT! I smell a smartphone being involved, nobody can be that fucking stupid...