GPS Tracking For Your Jeep

I'm sure your system is more thought out than commercial ones, but your post reminded me of the ORO switch.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/15001_1000.htm
The first person to post the inventor's first and last name along with his username on the Jeep boards will get a special gift of his choosing. 25% off a set of front TJ brake pads, or 15% off of a set of front TJ Pads and rotors.

The first person to post the inventor's first and last name along with his username on the Jeep boards will get a special gift of his choosing. 25% off a set of front TJ brake pads, or 15% off of a set of front TJ Pads and rotors.

Blaine Johnson
MrBlaine on the forums with a blue wizard for an avatar

I suspected already though :)

This type of magnetic system has been around for decades. We use to have a Mossad guy back in the 90's that put these type of locking mechanism on our houses. You slid a magnet along a certain line to the right of the door. And the door would unlock. You'd probably have to look in patent records from at least back to the 80's.

This type of magnetic system has been around for decades. We use to have a Mossad guy back in the 90's that put these type of locking mechanism on our houses. You slid a magnet along a certain line to the right of the door. And the door would unlock. You'd probably have to look in patent records from at least back to the 80's.

Relays and Magnetic locks are not a new idea. But a Jeep application, with a kill switch + a good bypass, is new. Knowing which electronic circuits to break requires knowledge and making a system that won't crap out horribly leaving your stranded in the middle of nowhere requires understanding. You gotta give credit where it's due.

Blaine Johnson
MrBlaine on the forums with a blue wizard for an avatar

I suspected already though :)
It was not I. A friend of mine, but not me. Maybe a picture will help.
Feller on the left.

He posted a link to the ADE which was developed by a friend of mine. Which one?

Close, to get all the way to the prize, we just need to know what the D stands for.

Frank D' Alessandro. That took some googling alright :)

Is he still active on the forums? If you see him tell him one newbie Jeep owner read old bbs forum post from 2004 in it's entirely trying to properly understand how it works.

Frank D' Alessandro. That took some googling alright :)

Is he still active on the forums? If you see him tell him one newbie Jeep owner read old bbs forum post from 2004 in it's entirely trying to properly understand how it works.
I won't see him. He was suffering from severe brain cancer in the above picture in 2004 and I'm pretty sure he is no longer with us in any capacity that matters. I only heard from him a few times after that trip and he related he was feeling the effects of diminished capacity and was not sure how much longer he would be cognizant.

One of the smartest folks I ever met whom I miss a bunch.

Let me know how you'd like to collect your prize, that one wasn't easy.

I won't see him. He was suffering from severe brain cancer in the above picture in 2004 and I'm pretty sure he is no longer with us in any capacity that matters. I only heard from him a few times after that trip and he related he was feeling the effects of diminished capacity and was not sure how much longer he would be cognizant.

One of the smartest folks I ever met whom I miss a bunch.

Let me know how you'd like to collect your prize, that one wasn't easy.

Very sad to hear Blaine. Cancer is ruthless.

Really nice of you to honor your friend. If you are OK with it, I would rather donate that discount to a good charity of your choice and I will happily match it. Or maybe pass it forward to whoever buys your TJ brake pads next since I don't need pads immediately.

@Chris can we get Frank's old jeepbs post on the ADE system archived here in the how-to section with proper credits? I posted the link above. Jeepbbs doesn't seem very active.

Reactions: Squatch

Really nice of you to honor your friend. If you are OK with it, I would rather donate that discount to a good charity of your choice and I will happily match it. Or maybe pass it forward to whoever buys your TJ brake pads next since I don't need pads immediately.

@Chris can we get Frank's old jeepbs post on the ADE system archived here in the how-to section with proper credits? I posted the link above. Jeepbbs doesn't seem very active.
If you give me the choice, then what I will do is take really good care of the next member of our military that asks for our military discount code. I very much appreciate them and what they do and have done so they get our deepest discount and are the only group that gets a discount on everything we sell. We can't even do that for our dealers who are restricted to a specific group of items that have enough margin to discount.

FYI, I am one of the founding members of JeepBBS. It is owned and run by my dear friend Sergey.

Unfortunately those threads aren't aging well. The pictures are all broken links, which makes it hard to follow the threads as I'm reading through them.

If you give me the choice, then what I will do is take really good care of the next member of our military that asks for our military discount code. I very much appreciate them and what they do and have done so they get our deepest discount and are the only group that gets a discount on everything we sell. We can't even do that for our dealers who are restricted to a specific group of items that have enough margin to discount.

FYI, I am one of the founding members of JeepBBS. It is owned and run by my dear friend Sergey.

Blaine that would be perfect. And let's make it better ... I sent you a PM with details.

I'll let have to join and browse jeepbbs more. Looking forward to reading your older posts there :)

Unfortunately those threads aren't aging well. The pictures are all broken links, which makes it hard to follow the threads as I'm reading through them.

Chris, I was able to able to find Frank's old AT&T webpage on wayback machine and downloaded the well written MSword document with images and detailed instructions. I'm not able to upload here.

Can you download and perhaps convert to PDF and then archive it?

edit: the article on waterproofing underhood electrical connectors is also very good. I wish we could have known Frank more.

https://web.archive.org/web/2008050...t/~email.id/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Last edited:
Chris, I was able to able to find Frank's old AT&T webpage on wayback machine and downloaded the well written word document with images and detailed instructions. I'm not able to upload here.

Can you download and perhaps convert to PDF and then archive it?

edit: the article on waterproofing underhood electrical connectors is also very good. I wish we could have known Frank more.

https://web.archive.org/web/2008050...t/~email.id/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Email me the PDF. It should go through that way. Or you can DropBox it to me.

Which page on the wayback machine are you referring to? That just goes to the home page.

Which page on the wayback machine are you referring to? That just goes to the home page.

The links on left side of the page I linked are all MS word docs. Just emailed you the files. I'll let you do the PDF conversion, don't want to mess it up.

The links on left side of the page I linked are all MS word docs. Just emailed you the files. I'll let you do the PDF conversion, don't want to mess it up.

Ahhh, clearly I have my work cut out for me. I guess this gives me something to do!

Frank was one of the first that taught me that theory and practical application are not always the same thing and sometimes you can wholly violate theory with a practical application if you understand what is happening. One discussion revolved around the use of lower current relays like the Bosch 5 pin standard 40 amp and combining them in parallel to handle 80-100 amps of current. Of course the theorist told him he was full of shit with all the standard "You're gonna die in a ball of flame" if you try that shit. Frank being Frank set up a test station with a timer, a relay, bank, and a load. He set the timer to switch the relays under load 1 time per minute for many days and after a set interval, he would stop and check the resistance across the contacts and then put them back into the test. He logged every interval and every resistance reading and when it got up to some amount equivalent to a person's lifetime of relay use, they were little worse for wear.

Even then the theorists insisted that using lower rated electrical devices in parallel was a bogus idea and never to be done. Then I happened across this and several other examples. Interesting and backed Frank and his approach to things but still didn't shut them up.