Griffin Replacement Radiator

The last one I had re-cored was $500, that was about 10 years ago now. I'd bet that price is closer to $7-800 now. Aluminum replacement radiators on Summit for the same car are currently $3-500.

Ouch! My point of reference would be back in the 80s and I'm not sure I can say what the price was. It was never a "big deal" and we had them done often. I can't remember ever buying new ones. It's probably not done as much anymore so that would probably lead to a higher relative price ... although not as bad as chroming now vs. back then!

I'm about an hour away from home at the moment rocking the wife's minivan. I certainly will tomorrow morning though. It's hard top time so I gotta play with the Jeep anyways tomorrow 🥶

When you see it, it will become blatantly obvious that anyone who blames the poor quality of their product on grill shell flex is completely full of shit.

It's probably not done as much anymore so that would probably lead to a higher relative price ... although not as bad as chroming now vs. back then!

Good radiator shops are very limited around here, actually I only know of 1 within a 20-30 min drive, and it's an old shop within my town. I can tell you about chrome prices from '19, but it is shocking.

I was looking in to getting the bumper on my Cutlass rechromed in Japan. Cheapest option was to send it to the Philippines where it could be done fairly cheap, but shipping sucked. Wound up just getting a whole new bumper sent from 'murica.

Reactions: John Cooper
I was looking in to getting the bumper on my Cutlass rechromed in Japan. Cheapest option was to send it to the Philippines where it could be done fairly cheap, but shipping sucked. Wound up just getting a whole new bumper sent from 'murica.

Interesting. I've never thought about or looked into that. Maybe I should look into chroming in Mexico. I know from experience the "Bumper Boyz" in CA are a no-go (reasonable price, bad quality). Advanced Plating in TN is our go to quality shop, but they are pricey. $2-2,500 for one bumper on my Chrysler, depending on required metal work. Their work is top-notch, but I'd be dancing around $15,000 to do the bright work on just one car. :oops:

I used to have my bumpers done at a little hole in the wall chrome shop next to Ramona Gardens in LA.
Still there 30 years later:
https://partsfocus.com/places/new-california-bumpers/Great job and cheap prices $ 150 a bumper.
The drawback was going thru Ramona Gardens a completely gang infested area. Ever see the Movie Colors?
I learned real quick that at about 9am was the best time as all the gangbangers were asleep.

Last edited:
I used to have my bumpers done at a little hole in the wall chrome shop next to Ramona Gardens in LA.
Still there 30 years later:
[URL][URL][URL][URL]https://partsfocus.com/places/new-california-bumpers/[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Great job and cheap prices $ 150 a bumper.
The drawback was going thru Ramona Gardens a completely gang infested area. Ever see the Movie Colors?
I learned real quick that at about 9am was the best time as all the gangbangers were asleep.

The gangs are there to make you change your mind about the chrome. I thought gang members were the only people that still use chrome on their low riders. 🤫

p.s. Loved Sean Penn in Colors.

• Haha
Go out to your TJ, lift the hood and prop it open. Carefully examine how the mounting flanges attach to the radiator. Note the small pocket cast into the plastic tank to stop the head of the fastener from turning, a very small fastener at that. Extrapolate that out to understanding if there was enough flex in the grill shell to hurt a full aluminum radiator, it would rip those little bolts right out of the end tanks.

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Are you talking about the 2 studs/nuts on the side near the top of tank?

PXL_20221117_173959980.jpg

PXL_20221117_174020911.jpg

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Are you talking about the 2 studs/nuts on the side near the top of tank?

View attachment 377384

View attachment 377385

No, I want you to look at how the mounting flanges are attached to the radiator. There are two small slots on each side of the tank that they slide the heads of around 3/16" fasteners into to stop them from turning when they put the nuts on. Once you realize those little molded slots are all that holds your radiator in and they are molded into the plastic, the rest of the crap becomes obvious.
1668709434612.png

Reactions: Moglocker
Okay, I see what you are talking about. Those bolts are weak links that should break with any significant amount of stress from grill flex, thus there must not be much flex to kill an aluminum rad.

Do you have any guess as to what might make the aftermarket aluminum rads die so quickly in TJs but last forever in street cars?

Okay, I see what you are talking about. Those bolts are weak links that should break with any significant amount of stress from grill flex, thus there must not be much flex to kill an aluminum rad.
Precisely. That and I know from removing many grills that they are not at all flexible and they do have that V bar brace in front of the radiator that makes them even less resistant to flex.
Do you have any guess as to what might make the aftermarket aluminum rads die so quickly in TJs but last forever in street cars?
The only answer is inconsistent quality. I know for a fact that at least 2 of the problem Griffin versions are in rigs that do not spend much if any time at all offroad so they are seeing no worse vibration than a street car on short suspension and needfully stiff shocks will deliver.

The main point is that anyone that who gets fed that line of bull now knows why it is.

Interesting. I've never thought about or looked into that. Maybe I should look into chroming in Mexico. I know from experience the "Bumper Boyz" in CA are a no-go (reasonable price, bad quality). Advanced Plating in TN is our go to quality shop, but they are pricey. $2-2,500 for one bumper on my Chrysler, depending on required metal work. Their work is top-notch, but I'd be dancing around $15,000 to do the bright work on just one car. :oops:

When I ran my restoration shop out of Arkansas, the "local" place in Little Rock closed down (owners were in their 80's). I ended up sending a bunch of stuff to Ogden Chrome in Utah. Wasn't cheap, but they did an excellent job.

Thanks for all the replies, opinions, and experience. These forums sometimes make my head spin but they are probably the best source of information available, even though it turned into a partial conversation about chrome.

It sounds like OEM is out of the question or at least too long of a wait for me.

The website articles are killing me. I swear every link to a recommended replacement radiator I click ends with me reading several negative reviews about leaks, poor performance, or ill-fitting units with misaligned mounting points....and then worst of all....bad customer service and shitty return policies. This one for instance: https://www.jeepzine.com/best-radiator-for-jeep/. It's actually hilarious that anyone would recommend these products with the terrible reviews they get. (Unless obviously the reviews happened afterwards.)

Is this really just a matter of luck, trial and error, and patience? If so, just tell me now so I can give up and take the crap shoot and see what happens.

Any other recommendation for a specific radiator? No? How about a specific retailer/vendor who will help when their product leaks or doesn't fit correctly? Am I just asking too much here? :)

Seriously, thanks for all the input and help with this. I'm trying so hard to give someone my $$$ but I need something good in return. I sound like a big baby too.

Check these guy out in Asbury NJ, they did a set of TR6 bumpers for me back when they first opened and when I lived locally. They do beautiful work.

Thanks for all the replies, opinions, and experience. These forums sometimes make my head spin but they are probably the best source of information available, even though it turned into a partial conversation about chrome.

It sounds like OEM is out of the question or at least too long of a wait for me.

The website articles are killing me. I swear every link to a recommended replacement radiator I click ends with me reading several negative reviews about leaks, poor performance, or ill-fitting units with misaligned mounting points....and then worst of all....bad customer service and shitty return policies. This one for instance: https://www.jeepzine.com/best-radiator-for-jeep/. It's actually hilarious that anyone would recommend these products with the terrible reviews they get. (Unless obviously the reviews happened afterwards.)

Is this really just a matter of luck, trial and error, and patience? If so, just tell me now so I can give up and take the crap shoot and see what happens.

Any other recommendation for a specific radiator? No? How about a specific retailer/vendor who will help when their product leaks or doesn't fit correctly? Am I just asking too much here? :)

Seriously, thanks for all the input and help with this. I'm trying so hard to give someone my $$$ but I need something good in return. I sound like a big baby too.

I've learned being here for a few years now, if your radiator, heater core, cam or crank position sensors shit the bed and you can't find a OEM replacement, just take your TJ to the junk yard and sell it for scrap or keep it for other spare parts and just go get another one !

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BlueC
Check these guy out in Asbury NJ, they did a set of TR6 bumpers for me back when they first opened and when I lived locally. They do beautiful work.

Who? I don't see a name or link.