Griffin Replacement Radiator

Thanks for all the replies, opinions, and experience. These forums sometimes make my head spin but they are probably the best source of information available, even though it turned into a partial conversation about chrome.

It sounds like OEM is out of the question or at least too long of a wait for me.

The website articles are killing me. I swear every link to a recommended replacement radiator I click ends with me reading several negative reviews about leaks, poor performance, or ill-fitting units with misaligned mounting points....and then worst of all....bad customer service and shitty return policies. This one for instance: https://www.jeepzine.com/best-radiator-for-jeep/. It's actually hilarious that anyone would recommend these products with the terrible reviews they get. (Unless obviously the reviews happened afterwards.)

Is this really just a matter of luck, trial and error, and patience? If so, just tell me now so I can give up and take the crap shoot and see what happens.

Any other recommendation for a specific radiator? No? How about a specific retailer/vendor who will help when their product leaks or doesn't fit correctly? Am I just asking too much here? :)

Seriously, thanks for all the input and help with this. I'm trying so hard to give someone my $$$ but I need something good in return. I sound like a big baby too.

Just so its clear, feel free to do anything you want. I got a Napa brand, it worked for a year and a half then started to leak. Instead of getting another Napa ( under warrantee) I was able to snagged a Mopar. All we are saying is that if you off wheeling in BFE you really want to limit the chance of things going wrong.
If your always in town and have cell service/ triple A not so much of a worry

I've learned being here for a few years now, if your radiator, heater core, cam or crank position sensors shit the bed and you can't find a OEM replacement, just take your TJ to the junk yard and sell it for scrap or keep it for other spare parts and just go get another one !

That is typical for this place. All I need you to do is tell me which radiator I can use in place of OEM that is similar in quality. Right now, I'm pretty sure we don't have that answer and we all want it.

i’m dumbfounded that not one company has obtained an oem radiator and made an exact copy of it. how hard can it be to duplicate it? i’m grateful i was able to find a oem one when mine crapped out this past summer.

i’m dumbfounded that not one company has obtained an oem radiator and made an exact copy of it. how hard can it be to duplicate it? i’m grateful i was able to find a oem one when mine crapped out this past summer.

Its not hard to make a copy...What is hard is to make a copy for a price that people will stomach.

Its not hard to make a copy...What is hard is to make a copy for a price that people will stomach.

the oem radiator price was a tough pill to swallow. radiator, upper and lower hoses and antifreeze was almost $500. lucky the labor was free!

the oem radiator price was a tough pill to swallow. radiator, upper and lower hoses and antifreeze was almost $500. lucky the labor was free!

Yeah, and the OEM made them at a HUGE volume. For an aftermarket to make them of the same quality, I'd bet the price is creeping up on 4 digits...

Reactions: txbemis69
Yeah, and the OEM made them at a HUGE volume. For an aftermarket to make them of the same quality, I'd bet the price is creeping up on 4 digits...

i for one don’t mind shelling out the $ if i know i’m buying top quality. thought for a bit i was going to have to buy a expensive aftermarket replacement and suffer from poor quality, but stumbled across the oem. at least my jeep is not a daily driver.

Reactions: Zorba
i for one don’t mind shelling out the $ if i know i’m buying top quality. thought for a bit i was going to have to buy a expensive aftermarket replacement and suffer from poor quality, but stumbled across the oem. at least my jeep is not a daily driver.

I'm with you on this. I'll pay some premium dough for another one that will last almost 200K like the OEM. I guess I can call dealerships but damn.....ouchie. Who knows what those are going for if available at all.

I'm with you on this. I'll pay some premium dough for another one that will last almost 200K like the OEM. I guess I can call dealerships but damn.....ouchie. Who knows what those are going for if available at all.

my jeep only has 50,000+ miles on it. i firmly believe age is what kills these not mileage. started out seeping where crimped together by radiator cap. no big deal i said to myself. then it developed about a 4 inch crack in almost the same area, but on top of the plastic tank. that’s when i parked it until new one was sourced. only took 4 months to find and get it shipped. like looking for a needle in a haystack

Reactions: John Cooper

A dealership probably won't be able to help you at this point. My cheapo radiator crapped out a couple weeks ago. I couldn't find any OEM online, but was able to track one down at a dealership 40 miles from home. It was the only one they had and told me they were discontinued with none in their warehouses. They sold the one they had for retail, which was $352. You can certainly try your local dealerships though. Might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
FWIW I've installed 3 Spectra rads in the last 5 years or so (LJ, XJ & MJ) and haven't had any problems with them. Mine are daily drivers that see gravel roads and trails, mostly when camping (no hard wheeling) and I tow 2 trailers of about 1,000 to 2,000 lbs. I've had no cooling issues at all.