Ground wire location for new amp

prizmside

Is there a preferred location to ground my new AMP? I would like to place this small Kicker AMP under the driver's seat, but don't know where to ground it. Any ideas? I am thinking about attaching it to the bolt of my seat, but don't want to get electrocuted. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks!

Not to worry, the ground will not shock you. It is the ground, not a hot wire. If anything hot (+) gets to ground it will short out and if wired correctly, pop the fuse. You can use the seat bolt if you wish. Darn near every piece of metal (unless isolated) on the vehicle is already a 12 volt DC ground. I grounded three amps to the tub. Good clean contact.

tub.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Manny V and 112dB
The surface that clamps down should be clean of rust to make a good connection. Steel wool works great. What the top of the bolt looks like doesn't matter.

Is there a preferred location to ground my new AMP? I would like to place this small Kicker AMP under the driver's seat, but don't know where to ground it. Any ideas? I am thinking about attaching it to the bolt of my seat, but don't want to get electrocuted. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks!

An alternative placement for the amp is behind the dash/steering column, there are a couple good ground locations using pre-existing bolts (scrape some paint off) and a firewall access hole/plug to route the amp's power wire to the battery, both the power wire access hole and grounding point are close to each other.

I just installed my amp there on a 7" x 9" board hung to the steering columns brackets using a picture frame hanging kit, and also some Velcro tape for the front. All wires remain behind the dash, and you can run the speaker wire under the carpet below the center console/shifter area.

This was a test board and not my final install board.

IMG_20200519_151102.jpgIMG_20200519_151010.jpg

Ground location and power access hole, a little light is coming through.

IMG_20200525_150447.jpg