Ham Radio Antenna Mount

TJustin

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Greetings. To give some background, I struggled for quite some time trying to find a solution to my ham radio antenna mounting that allowed for not drilling into the body, would not be in the middle of my field of vision, and what in my eyes would be "aesthetically pleasing".

Now, I will preface this by saying that my choice of location as well as my 1/4 wave antenna that is not in the direct center of a ground plane are topics of controversy all over the wheeling forums, however, this location has proved to work great for me and has exceeded my expectations for trail comms even with my Yaesu FT-2980R on low power. So take this only as much as it is worth, my experience.

My initial thoughts were to go with the Rugged Radios windshield frame mount, but ran into an issue since I already have mirror relocating brackets in the same location. Not willing to drill in a fender, or wanting to avoid adding a Teraflex CB antenna mount to the rear tail light, I took some graph paper, and measured and cut until I obtained a design that I was happy with. I had a local guy create a file that allowed him to cut it on his plasma cutter. It cost me around $15 to get it cut. I then welded it on, and to finish it off I had the relocating brackets re-powdercoated with exception to the location where the antenna mounts, which was kept bare.

At any rate, hope this proves handy to someone who was in the same boat. If you have questions, let me know. 😎

HAM 2.jpg

Ham 1.jpg

Nice. I think I will be copying your design shortly. I have been trying to decide what to do since I had the mirror relocating brackets as well.

Reactions: TJustin
Where do you route your coax?

I actually folded the windshield down, and ran it under the hinge and then down behind the dash. It was a little bit more work that I would have liked, but love how clean the install was because of it.

Reactions: Imapepper