Hard-Copy TJ Literature

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Of course we have this Forum, but sometimes I prefer having something I can read without a screen. I thought it might be a helpful resource to have a list of the best hard-copy info you can find on the TJ.

What am I missing? Let's make this comprehensive.

———

TJ Manuals:

• Jeep's Factory Service Manual and related volumes.

• Clymers, Chilton, Haynes, etc.
    • Many on this forum would say they are too generic, and cover too many years, to be as helpful as the FSM.
    • Still, a good starting point for rookies, and easier to find in hard copy than the FSM.

TJ Modification Guides:
  • Jeep Owner's Bible.
    • Written by a very knowledgeable guy, but seems to focus on CJs, YJs, and TJs equally. So, not necessarily the best place to learn about TJs.

TJ Engine Overviews:

TJ Body Work:

Last edited:
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I bought a full set of factory manuals in ebay for my 05 for not too much. Much more easy to read than the online one and I like having the books as a backup. The wiring diagrams manual was very handy when I was messing with the locker switch.

Thanks both. I've updated the post. Also eager to hear about any other books folks know about.

There are several other sources available in book form such as Clymers, Chilton, Haynes of which ALL are too generic and cover way too many year without addressing specifics between the years.

Reactions: SSTJ
There are several other sources available in book form such as Clymers, Chilton, Haynes of which ALL are too generic and cover way too many year without addressing specifics between the years.
Thanks, I updated the original post to mention those.

@Jerry Bransford , what would each member of the Forum need to pledge on Kickstarter for you to write a book that we could self-publish through an easy source like Amazon? I'm only sort of half joking ...

... actually, if you did, then @Chris could offer it as a give-away to all life-time supporting members, etc.

The more I think about this, the more serious I am. If you didn't want the task of writing it all yourself, you could be the 'editor', selecting individuals from the forum to write various chapters, and then editing them however you see fit.

Just throwing it out there ...

Reactions: FishinSam
@Jerry Bransford , what would each member of the Forum need to pledge on Kickstarter for you to write a book that we could self-publish through an easy source like Amazon? I'm only sort of half joking ...

... actually, if you did, then @Chris could offer it as a give-away to all life-time supporting members, etc.

The more I think about this, the more serious I am. If you didn't want the task of writing it all yourself, you could be the 'editor', selecting individuals from the forum to write various chapters, and then editing them however you see fit.

Just throwing it out there ...

Maybe @mrblaine could write the foreword? 😉

Can I be a ghost writer? I'll pay.
Just remember I don't know squat.

.....On the first day Jerry created the trails. On the second day he added rocks.on the third day he added water. Then he saw the trail was good and needed to be driven over. He considered all displacement sizes and figured somewhere around 250 cubic inches in an inline configuration oughta be good......

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: SSTJ and Fixer6
I have the 4.0L engine building book, but I've found the best resources for any of the Jeeps I've owned to be the factory service manual and the forums.