Hardtop hoists?

There are several YouTube videos that guide you on making one for a fraction of the cost that you would pay from buying one. I've watched a few of them and there are different designs you can follow. Some pretty good ideas out there and all the parts for it can be obtained at a Home Depot.

Otherwise, as soon as I can I'll check my catalog. There are several manufacturers that make them with prices ranging from $100-$500.

It's pretty easy to make one yourself. Search on YouTube for a how to... It's really, really easy in all honesty.

Reactions: Duan
I picked up a 2ton engine hoist for cheap at a garage sale, a metal fence post from Hopeless Depot, and with a few straps I made mine for around $70. Works like a champ, and I can easily take it off, or put it on by myself in no time.

Last edited:
I use an inexpensive Canadian Tire 1,000 lb. rope hoist anchored to a tree in my back yard. I'm sure there are similar ones no matter where you're from. They look "cheap" and instill "0" confidence but they work great. I've done my LJ with one. I'm not sure what the weight difference is but they're definitely heavier than a TJ top.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/certified-rope-hoist-0618150p.html

How heavy is a stock TJ hard top?

I'm finding a lot of "I'd guess it's" responses on anything I've tried to Google, which doesn't really help.

How heavy is a stock TJ hard top?

I'm finding a lot of "I'd guess it's" responses on anything I've tried to Google, which doesn't really help.

I’m not sure anyone has ever weighed it. I’ve heard it’s around 100 lbs. From having lifted it myself, I would have to agree.

140 lbs per a Jeep VHS tape that shipped with some Wranglers. Here is the spot where it is mentioned:

This video has lots of good info for new owners, this just happens to be in the top uninstall/reinstall instructions.

Reactions: Jeffreybomb
Anyone have any good recommendations on who to purchase a hardtop hoist from?

I snapped up one of these a couple days ago. I'm waiting for it to be delivered. My garage is in desperate need of organization and a good cleaning. Can't wait for spring!

I don't have time to plan out and build my own hoist. I'd rather have something ready to go that I know will work.

Today I do it with a friend.
Set a table behind the Jeep and lift 2", walk it back, one on each side, set it down 6".
I've seen/heard too many failed hoist stories.
I like to set it down.

Fun fact: I ordered a hardtop hoist, two of them showed up at my doorstep.

Called Quadratec to make sure I wasn't charged twice, they're sending me a slip to return one.

Weird.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some time off in the coming week to install it. I'll let you know how it goes.