Has anyone tried OX lockers?

Some of this reminds me of one of my favorite bicycles with rod brakes. They are reliable, in that stuff will move around when you squeeze the brake lever and the bike will eventually slow down.
rod brake parts.gif

I think they are really cool and fun to use. But if I didn't get to look at the linkages there would be absolutely no value in them compared to other methods of actuating the brakes.

Some of this reminds me of one of my favorite bicycles with rod brakes. They are reliable, in that stuff will move around when you squeeze the brake lever and the bike will eventually slow down.
View attachment 110023

I think they are really cool and fun to use. But if I didn't get to look at the linkages there would be absolutely no value in them compared to other methods of actuating the brakes.
Oh man. Those things certainly look cool, but they're totally sketchy compared to hydraulic disc brakes on modern bikes. I guess you can put up with them if you like riding museum pieces or just like the look, but there's a reason we all use hydraulic brakes now.

Reactions: jjvw
Nice repair sweating on a larger diameter copper tubing.
Thanks. We used soft 3/16's copper line and then drilled the ends about 1/2" deep with a #28 drill bit to give it a snug slip fit. A bit of flux, some lead solder, Mapp gas torch and it is good to go. All done in place without pulling the locker.

He seems better after his nap.

Blaine, have you seen problems with Ox lockers or just don't understand the affinity of levers?
I have no issue with Ox lockers or anyone's affinity for levers. I only have issues with bullshit hypocritical justifications for one's choices. I already stated that the person that wanted them so he could get another lever was the only one so far that got it right.

That said, we have had several issues with the cable routing. Anyone that has done so simply can not say it was easy, clean, or a fun install. The front one is just ridiculous when you finally get it down the frame and over to the diff and tied off in such a way that it can move safely with the axle. If you have installed a cable shifter, take that cable, make it about 6-7 feet long, easily twice as stiff, and then imagine what it takes to get it to the front diff.

We killed a few of the lockers early on that were not covered under any warranty. I also tend to raise an eyebrow when a company touts a particular philosophy and the violates it. OX's claim to fame early on was "cables are best, every other activation system sucks" and then set about making air activated, and electric shift motor activated versions. I have no issue with any of them, I have issues with the hypocrisy.

I have no issue with Ox lockers or anyone's affinity for levers. I only have issues with bullshit hypocritical justifications for one's choices. I already stated that the person that wanted them so he could get another lever was the only one so far that got it right.

That said, we have had several issues with the cable routing. Anyone that has done so simply can not say it was easy, clean, or a fun install. The front one is just ridiculous when you finally get it down the frame and over to the diff and tied off in such a way that it can move safely with the axle. If you have installed a cable shifter, take that cable, make it about 6-7 feet long, easily twice as stiff, and then imagine what it takes to get it to the front diff.

We killed a few of the lockers early on that were not covered under any warranty. I also tend to raise an eyebrow when a company touts a particular philosophy and the violates it. OX's claim to fame early on was "cables are best, every other activation system sucks" and then set about making air activated, and electric shift motor activated versions. I have no issue with any of them, I have issues with the hypocrisy.
With this, I can totally see how running a cable vs some pneumatic tube w/ Elbow fittings could be a serious pain in the ass.

With this, I can totally see how running a cable vs some pneumatic tube w/ Elbow fittings could be a serious pain in the ass.
Even easier is a pair of 16 gauge wires in a small diameter split loom that you can run to the back tied along the existing brake line on the frame rail, down the brake line and over to the connector on the axle. By far the easiest, also the easiest to protect.

F
Even easier is a pair of 16 gauge wires in a small diameter split loom that you can run to the back tied along the existing brake line on the frame rail, down the brake line and over to the connector on the axle. By far the easiest, also the easiest to protect.
For El E lockar?

That was a great shitshow.

I can't imagine routing a cable and fixing it in position at both ends would be fun. Switches are so much easier to mount and wire.

The only issue I've had with my E locker was bumping the switch while cleaning the dash and not noticing. I came back to a dead battery. I should've installed a switched relay and didn't, still haven't.

Reactions: Grey_Machine7.3