Headlight Wiring Upgrade

You can get a similar harness at a lower cost. Check out this thread.

Toyota lights on your TJ! Cheap, quality LED alternative​

The relays in the harness allows you to use higher watt bulbs. I installed the Toyota lights but not the harness. I wouldn’t expect much improvement without going with higher wattage bulbs but could be wrong.

Reactions: LakeBeard
Is there really a benefit to the new harness? I've read on this forum that the OEM harness is plenty sufficient, and that most of the time when owners think that a new harness helped, it's really just because in the process of installing a new one, they fixed a loose connection, improved a ground connection, etc.

Edit: Here's the thread I had in mind.

Reactions: pagrey
You can definitely see the headlights brighten up on the majority of old TJs that have a relay harness installed. The stock wiring was capable of powering the lights from the factory but it was pretty inefficient due to the long wiring path and the power running through the headlight switch. Not saying every TJ would see an improvement, but I know of plenty that are improved with the harness. Over time any corrosion or heat buildup leads to more of it and more of it just making things worse. The relays will prevent that. Plus, it's a really easy way to safely run higher wattage headlights like H4s.

A simple way to test this is measure the voltage at the headlights with the lights on. If it doesn't nearly match the voltage at the battery, then you would benefit from the harness. If the voltages are nearly the same, then you won't benefit.

I'd definitely agree with others that $150 is overpriced.

Last edited:
Reactions: R49 and SSTJ
I installed the $25 K-Suspension harness linked in post #3. It is well made with quality components and was easy to install. I did lengthen the power lead from the fuse box for a cleaner install, but that only took a few minutes. (The kit was originally designed to fit a Jeep XJ thus the shorter power lead),

Prior to installing the K-Suspension harness I had already converted to Hella E-Code H4 headlight lenses and Philips X-treme Vision +130 H4 60/55W H4 bulbs which were a dramatic improvement over the stock headlights. The K-Suspension harness provides even greater improvement because the headlight circuit is now shorter and runs directly from battery to bulb with thicker gauge wire such that each bulb receives full voltage and therefore produces the full rated lumens and color temperature. A secondary benefit is that the expensive headlamp switch in the steering column no longer carries the load.

IMO, it is a worthwhile improvement, but there is no need to spend $150 for the kit from Painless Wiring.

K Suspension wiring showing location of relays.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: SSTJ
Unless you're running a higher wattage incandescent bulb than the factory 55 watt size you are unlikely to see any benefit to an aftermarket relay controlled wiring harness if your wiring is in good condition.

If you install LED headlights there's absolutely no need for such a wiring harness since they draw substantially less power than the factory incandescent bulbs do.

Unless you're running a higher wattage incandescent bulb than the factory 55 watt size you are unlikely to see any benefit to an aftermarket relay controlled wiring harness if your wiring is in good condition.

If you install LED headlights there's absolutely no need for such a wiring harness since they draw substantially less power than the factory incandescent bulbs do.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97052_1206.htm
Jerry, I was looking to put the harness and these 80w 100w bulbs....people have reviewed that they definitely get brighter. I don't want LED, looking to avoid that on my TJ, but some of the country back roads I'm hitting the spots on and off for cars coming, just trying to light up the road to see deer sooner with just regular and high beams., ha. Hit a couple with the F150 not looking to do it with my TJ.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
@mrblaine pointed this option out in a different thread as well and I think this is what I am going to try. I have the upgraded harness/Toyota OEM bulbs but these look to be the better choice. Is this what you are running @L J ?

I've been running Cibie housings for years and fairly recently upgraded from incandescent bulbs to Beamtech LED bulbs. mrblaine bought the Holley's for his TJ6 but last time I saw he hadn't installed them yet.

Reactions: pagrey and psrivats
I have the h4 100/ 80 watt bulbs. I initially installed the wiring harness, (the cheap one, not the $150 one, to help take some of the load off my MFS. Installation took less than an hour, and the 100/ 80 watt bulbs are a VAST improvement over the factory.
The cheap harness will do what you need it to as well as the $150 one.

I run cibie housings and leds as well, also have hella I found cheap for backups if I break some glass. It's a good option especially if you can find some low power fanless led H4 bulbs.

Reactions: R49 and L J
I saw this on TV the other day, has anybody used this? I would like brighter lights, but want to keep the classic look.

[URL]https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/30815[/URL]

I tried a set of halogen replacement bulbs then upgraded to a set of high wattage H-4 bulbs and housings. This still wasn’t what I was looking for. I purchased a set of Hid H-4 bulbs from DDM tuning in Huntington Beach and they are more than bright enough. The lights take about 30 seconds to get to full power but I can live with that for the light they put out. I also wanted to keep the factory classic look. I have had these installed for over 3 years without a problem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=ddm...BAzEuM5gBAKABAbABDw&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-hp
7DCBD2E9-93D5-4BA1-AF2B-B3681C5E906F.jpeg

Reactions: Head Lice
Quad beams are a great option, turns on low beam filiments wit high beams, low beams are just low. It’s 2 relays, kc highlights used to sell it.