Hello from Oshkosh, WI

Great insight. Thank you for sharing.

I think my main problem when I first started thinking about tire size was forgetting how small the wheelbase is on a Jeep and how much clearance potential you have with minor height changes. I've been looking at threads on the forum and doing research elsewhere and I really think 31s will do the trick for me and I'll never need anything bigger.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Katuhstrofik, I am also located close to You in Wisconsin. I have a Rubicon LJ with a 4 inch lift w/33s and my son has a TJ with the OME 2.5inch lift w/31s. I like how mine looks, but his definitely rides better for around here. Unless you head to the UP or the locally famous “pipeline” (1.5 hours north) 31s and open diffs generally get you down most open and public trails.

eaa630dc3c554537377fda78f58c4664.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Katuhstrofik, I am also located close to You in Wisconsin. I have a Rubicon LJ with a 4 inch lift w/33s and my son has a TJ with the OME 2.5inch lift w/31s. I like how mine looks, but his definitely rides better for around here. Unless you head to the UP or the locally famous “pipeline” (1.5 hours north) 31s and open diffs generally get you down most open and public trails.

View attachment 26922

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking good guys. :) All of this just makes me so much more excited to start wheeling lol.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Looks like we are getting to the point here in Wisconsin we should have a "get together". I am due west of "Kat" about 30 miles. Like the others I say drive it a bit, look hard at your frame and corrosion issues and figure out how you will use it. Mine is a toy (not a DD) and I plan to have it until I'm too old- so I started with the tiny bit of body corrosion and the OPDA (you don't have to worry about that). Mine is an 06 LJ that I picked up with stock Dana 44 limited slip & 3:73 ratio. (Dana 30 open diff front). It had 31" tires and rims except for spare. My intended use was Colorado mining roads around Ouray where I had backpacked for years and it would be a decent ride to there (no trailer queen). First time out there I drove it like I bought it- and even though Imogene had degraded to a mild class 4- I got over it along with any class 3 I wanted. Next was to install an Aussie locker in the Dana 30 ( remember mine is not a DD in snow/ice) and raise my seats 2" for visibility and pick up a nice compressor and air down kit. Trip 2 was a completely different and better experience. This year I lifted 2", put on the Curry AntiRock sway bar (I did not want disconnects) and finally mounted a winch ( not for the trails- it's for around home use). All in- I have put less than 2k into mine and the only thing left is some interior and exterior lighting upgrades left. I am debating on going to regear to 4:10 because I feel torque sucks with overdrive with 31" tires and the 3:73 but prolly will just live with it.
To the OP or others near me here in central Wisconsin- pm me if you ever want to run trails or talk. The help these guys give on this site is awesome and was very valuable to me in setting mine up to help offset the go big ideas my rock crawler/mudder co-worker friends gave me.

Reactions: Katuhstrofik