Hello from Oshkosh, WI

View attachment 26874

Welcome To the Forum. Here’s my 2002 sport with 245/75/16. This equates to a 31” tire. No lift and no regear. A stock jeep is pretty darn capable. I would reccomend that you drive it for a few months first and see what you like and don’t like. Don’t rush into making modifications just for the sake of change. See what you really need.

I would also advise against removing the AC compressor. If you ever go to sell it, having functional AC is a great selling point. I know because my first TJ didn’t have AC, and when I went to sell it the first 9 callers said no once they learned it had AC. I used to be “idealistic” too. I figured “it’s a jeep, just pull the top off for the summer”. But I didn’t think about resale at the time. Just something else to think about.
Solid advice, thanks. And nice Jeep! The resale doesn't matter to me, I'm never getting rid of it. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bird and Chris
What’s your gear ratio now? If you have the 3.07 you’ll be wanting to regear with 33’s. If you have the 3.73 it’s livable.

I think I’ve found a way to go to 35’s for ~$2500 over what it takes to do 33’s correctly. The $2500 would include highline fenders, upgrades brake pads and beefy tire carrier. In this build there’s 2.5” suspension lift,1.25” body lift, 1” motor mount lift, super 35, regear and locker. No need for SYE and CV or adjustable upper or lower control Arms.At least I think this will work if I bump stop accordingly, which I don’t think will be much. It would be a cool LCOG, though I may stay with 33’s. We do have a lot of big rocks here, so 35’s is not overkill

Is that a Maine Coon? If so, those are my favorite. I've wanted one for a long time.
I'm not sure what kind of cat she is. But she is smart. I have taught her several things, like the only place she can lay down in the house is on her "blankie". And she " high 5s me". She lets us know when the fire place is almost out and it needs another log (because she is getting cold). Oh yeah ..... and when she is almost out of food and water. Very vocal.

That cat is cool.....It looks like a mountain lion, probably needs too look like that to walk your property!....Oh and I too would love to get the sliders for my half doors...just not for $580.00

That cat is cool.....It looks like a mountain lion, probably needs too look like that to walk your property!....Oh and I too would love to get the sliders for my half doors...just not for $580.00
Too bad you live so far away. Saw a real nice clean pair of Upper sliders on Craig'slist for $300.

Too bad you live so far away. Saw a real nice clean pair of Upper sliders on Craig'slist for $300.
If it is still listed send me the link...if he will ship I will provide my ups account#...we just got 4" snow today and I am afraid to clean any of the plastic windows.
Why are you awake so early on the west coast? I just got into wok and it is 10 AM!

If I didn't have a hard top, your setup would be the way to go. Half doors, upper sliders has a ton of versatility. The whole AC debate is subjective based on your climate and wheeling needs. having cold air blowing on your face while you are doing 2 mph on a trail when it's 103* out does offer some relief. you could also decide to turn your AC compressor into on board air if AC wasn't a concern.

I never considered being able to recycle my AC compressor into on board air. That is a really damn good idea. Is that actually effective and viable? If so, it's a done deal. I'm new to the scene admittedly, but I've never heard of anyone turning their AC into something useful. ;)

Reactions: bobthetj03
Welcome to Jeeping in Wisconsin! I have kept mine mostly stock and I have found that it is more than capable enough to handle the fire roads and hunting trails I have been on. When summer finally rolls around you will love going topless and doorless!

Reactions: Katuhstrofik
What’s your gear ratio now? If you have the 3.07 you’ll be wanting to regear with 33’s. If you have the 3.73 it’s livable.

I think I’ve found a way to go to 35’s for ~$2500 over what it takes to do 33’s correctly. The $2500 would include highline fenders, upgrades brake pads and beefy tire carrier. In this build there’s 2.5” suspension lift,1.25” body lift, 1” motor mount lift, super 35, regear and locker. No need for SYE and CV or adjustable upper or lower control Arms.At least I think this will work if I bump stop accordingly, which I don’t think will be much. It would be a cool LCOG, though I may stay with 33’s. We do have a lot of big rocks here, so 35’s is not overkill

Hey, sorry I missed this. I am unsure what my gearing is right now. If you guys want I can provide the VIN and you guys can do your technical stuff and dig around, but as far as I know my TJ is bone stock. So it has whatever the Sport 4.0 came with in 1999.

At any rate, I do believe you fine enthusiasts have provided me with enough info to settle on 31s and a 2.5-3 inch lift. That should accommodate me quite well. As my TJ has the automatic 3 speed in it, I won't ever be rock crawling with it, but more technical trails would probably benefit the auto 3-speed quite nicely and give me the enjoyment I am looking for. :)

Reactions: Phil Younger
Actually, an automatic is best for rock crawling IMHO.

Oh really? That's exciting. I've read in a few places online that the 3 speed was best for technical trails and mudding, and rock crawling should be reserved for the 5-speed. Glad someone here cleared that up for me!

I'll probably never dump the required cash into my TJ to rock crawl though because I'd like to keep it as my daily driver. :)

Oh.....one last thing on my wife's cat and I'll get off the cat thing.
We celebrated her 19th Birthday this year.
Cali's Birthday.png

Hey, sorry I missed this. I am unsure what my gearing is right now. If you guys want I can provide the VIN and you guys can do your technical stuff and dig around, but as far as I know my TJ is bone stock. So it has whatever the Sport 4.0 came with in 1999.

At any rate, I do believe you fine enthusiasts have provided me with enough info to settle on 31s and a 2.5-3 inch lift. That should accommodate me quite well. As my TJ has the automatic 3 speed in it, I won't ever be rock crawling with it, but more technical trails would probably benefit the auto 3-speed quite nicely and give me the enjoyment I am looking for. :)
For reference, here’s my ‘05 on 31’s with 2.5” OME.
FE221C50-0633-4D01-9A1B-AA4F8AD95983.jpeg

You can do a lot with this setup.
5E319DE6-B1DF-45E8-B259-19EAFC28F010.png

Yep, we made the run up through that narrow gap where the tree is.

Type your VIN in this site and it will bring up your factory build specs so you can see what gearing you have.

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

If it’s not on there, do this

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-do-i-determine-my-axle-gear-ratio.72/

Have fun and welcome to the best Jeep forum on the web!

9AD7613D-EEE0-4CDE-A2E8-912C8C19FDC8.jpeg

Reactions: Katuhstrofik
Oh.....one last thing on my wife's cat and I'll get off the cat thing.
We celebrated her 19th Birthday this year.
View attachment 26885

WOW. 19?! That is impressive. That is a fine cat my friend.

For reference, here’s my ‘05 on 31’s with 2.5” OME.
View attachment 26886
You can do a lot with this setup.
View attachment 26888
Yep, we made the run up through that narrow gap where the tree is.

Type your VIN in this site and it will bring up your factory build specs so you can see what gearing you have.

https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

Thanks for that resource! And your jeep looks really clean. Yeah, I think 31s and a 2.5-3 inch lift is where I am headed.

I checked out the jeep site, and it reads:

Dana 30/186MM Front Axle
Dana M35/194MM Rear Axle
3.07 Rear Axle Ratio

Reactions: JMT
I said that once as well, until I had my first child :)
Kids aren't for me. I've already taken steps to make sure I never have any lol. I am extremely introverted and not great with kids.

Ugh, the dreaded 3.07's! Stick to 31's brah. You'll be amazed where you can wheel, and it's more fun and challenging cause you need to pick your lines and think about what your doing rather than just steamrolling over obstacles.

Oh no, why are they dreaded?