Hello from Oshkosh, WI

I am looking at stuff right now and you're definitely right. :')

What have I gotten myself into this time lol...

Haha, welcome to the addiction! To build these things right, it's expensive, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong though, you just have to pace yourself (and your wallet). Owning a Jeep Wrangler is one of the most rewarding things ever. Especially when you get to Summer time and get to drive around with the top and doors off (must have doors off, trust me) for the first time!

Haha, welcome to the addiction! To build these things right, it's expensive, that's for sure. Don't get me wrong though, you just have to pace yourself (and your wallet). Owning a Jeep Wrangler is one of the most rewarding things ever. Especially when you get to Summer time and get to drive around with the top and doors off (must have doors off, trust me) for the first time!

Yeah, I am fortunate to have a decent job and no wife/kids :') My cost of living is fairly low as well, and I don't go out and do the social thing. So pretty much whatever I don't spend on food/bills can go right into the TJ.

At least it's not drugs? LOL.

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Before you even think about 35" tires, try changing a 33, from the tailgate carrier to the wheel, and back again. That may influence your decision...
Lol fair enough. I'm wondering if I need to even go as big as 33 tbh.. I'll have to measure the wheels it has currently and project the differences. I don't know if I will need tons of clearance for basic trails and mudding or whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Phil Younger
Lol fair enough. I'm wondering if I need to even go as big as 33 tbh.. I'll have to measure the wheels it has currently and project the differences. I don't know if I will need tons of clearance for basic trails and mudding or whatever.

It all depends on what you want to do. 33" tires are more than enough for probably 95% of us. I wouldn't' bother with 35" tires unless you plan on doing some real serious rock crawling. If you're just going to be doing mud, exploring, etc, even a 32" would be more than fine. But I wouldn't go larger than 33". That just complicates everything once you get to 35", then you're really going to need to worry about upgrading your axles too.

When I got my jeep many moons ago, I started out with a small 2.5" lift and 31's. I now have 3" of lift and 33's. with a re-gear. Looking back, I should have stayed with 31's and the 2.5" lift. That setup got me thru 90% of the trails I do. The other 10% my winch and rock stacking took care of.

Sounds like a plan. :) I'm looking at exhaust systems now. My hope is that the weather will cooperate and I'll be able to have the exhaust and brake lines done by early January. I work 55-60 hour weeks so the last thing I want to do on my time off is freeze my ass off and busting my knuckles on rusty bolts lol. It will come down to how many mild days we get here in Oshkosh in the 30s and 40s.

And that's exactly what I do every time I mess with exhausts.....bust my knuckles AND get rust in my eyes. Lol

Reactions: Katuhstrofik

I can't even justify the cost and changes needed for 33s in my case. I did go to 265/75-16, which basically translate to a 32", and I really can't see ever going up from there for the wheeling I do. I've even considered changing to a 15" wheel, just so I can have more choices in a 32" load range C tire, which are pretty sparse for 16" wheels.

When I got my jeep many moons ago, I started out with a small 2.5" lift and 31's. I now have 3" of lift and 33's. with a re-gear. Looking back, I should have stayed with 31's and the 2.5" lift. That setup got me thru 90% of the trails I do. The other 10% my winch and rock stacking took care of.
Yeah I saw your post earlier your build is pretty sweet. Nice job on that!

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
32's or even 31's and a 2.5" lift will suit over 90% of all Jeepers. Plus it's really inexpensive, is an easy DIY job, doesn't cause many other problems and performs REALLY well.

Like mine

Untitled-1.png

Last edited:
6FA54591-2369-4132-BE2A-84D2618DBB71.jpeg

Welcome To the Forum. Here’s my 2002 sport with 245/75/16. This equates to a 31” tire. No lift and no regear. A stock jeep is pretty darn capable. I would reccomend that you drive it for a few months first and see what you like and don’t like. Don’t rush into making modifications just for the sake of change. See what you really need.

I would also advise against removing the AC compressor. If you ever go to sell it, having functional AC is a great selling point. I know because my first TJ didn’t have AC, and when I went to sell it the first 9 callers said no once they learned it had AC. I used to be “idealistic” too. I figured “it’s a jeep, just pull the top off for the summer”. But I didn’t think about resale at the time. Just something else to think about.

How do you like the sliding side windows Upper MI? If I had a soft top and would go that route for sure! My CJ had the Zipper windows, what a pain.

Love Them. I have the zipper upper windows as well but I haven’t used them in the 18 months I’ve owned this jeep (been stored in my garage). The hard upper sliders are better for everyday convenience.

View attachment 26874

Welcome To the Forum. Here’s my 2002 sport with 245/75/16. This equates to a 31” tire. No lift and no regear. A stock jeep is pretty darn capable. I would reccomend that you drive it for a few months first and see what you like and don’t like. Don’t rush into making modifications just for the sake of change. See what you really need.

I would also advise against removing the AC compressor. If you ever go to sell it, having functional AC is a great selling point. I know because my first TJ didn’t have AC, and when I went to sell it the first 9 callers said no once they learned it had AC. I used to be “idealistic” too. I figured “it’s a jeep, just pull the top off for the summer”. But I didn’t think about resale at the time. Just something else to think about.

If I didn't have a hard top, your setup would be the way to go. Half doors, upper sliders has a ton of versatility. The whole AC debate is subjective based on your climate and wheeling needs. having cold air blowing on your face while you are doing 2 mph on a trail when it's 103* out does offer some relief. you could also decide to turn your AC compressor into on board air if AC wasn't a concern.

Reactions: Katuhstrofik