Help me figure out what I have?

jmharris23

Supporting Member
I’ve got a bad case of the death wobble and so I’m about to go to work on the Jeep. I know it’s usually recommended to start with the track bar. I’m planning to replace pretty much everything in the front end, but I’m not sure what I have here?

The Jeep has a 4 inch lift, that I didn’t do so I don’t know anything about what parts were used.

Can you help me determine what I have here in the track bar? There’s a drop bracket and what looks like maybe the stock track bar? IMG_3255.jpegIMG_3258.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg

IMG_3254.jpeg

Did death wobble recently start or has this issue been present for some time? In addition to the drop trackbar bracket I noticed a drop pitman arm.

First thing I'd do is have an assistant slowly move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running while you look directly at the front end. Pay close attention to loose steering components.

I don't suggest throwing parts at this issue with proper diagnosis. Unless perhaps you've decided it all needs to be refreshed due to age.

Did death wobble recently start or has this issue been present for some time? In addition to the drop trackbar bracket I noticed a drop pitman arm.

First thing I'd do is have an assistant slowly move the steering wheel back and forth with the engine running while you look directly at the front end. Pay close attention to loose steering components.

I don't suggest throwing parts at this issue with proper diagnosis. Unless perhaps you've decided it all needs to be refreshed due to age.

I’ve had some vibration and the death wobble happened once but not again in quite some time.

That said, I plan to replace everything.

Suggestions?

If I am looking at the pictures correctly it appears the stock TB frame mount was replaced with some aftermarket bracket. If that is accurate then you’ll need an aftermarket TB. I’d suggest an adjustable one.

If I am looking at the pictures correctly it appears the stock TB frame mount was replaced with some aftermarket bracket. If that is accurate then you’ll need an aftermarket TB. I’d suggest an adjustable one.

Look closer. The factory mount is still buried in that mess.

• Haha
Reactions: Marklar1983
Ok…so i didn’t do this “mess” but I am looking for some advice on how to fix it or what would be best to do. Thanks

I would go back to the stock track bar frame mount and a stock pitman arm.

The track bar mount has most likely been drilled to use a bolt. Any decent adjustable track bar also require this.

Last edited:
I see it now. Wonder what was wrong with it or why they chose to add the other bracket.

The belief is that the track bar and drag link angles need to be corrected after a spring lift. At least both have been adjusted together. Often that doesn't happen. But in doing so, an interference to up travel has been created. And the added leverage on the track bar mount will eventually break it off the frame. And never mind the reenforcement bolts through the frame rail are not sleeved and will never be tight.

Add that all to the long list of poorly designed TJ lift kits that have plagued the hobby for 25 years.

Not in any way a suspension guy but I would make one correction at a time if possible. My reasoning is that you may find which part is actually causing the DW and not have to replace everything. Keep it simple. I would start by watching the suspension movement as mentioned and then rotate the tires to rule those out. Take it slow and methodical.

Not in any way a suspension guy but I would make one correction at a time if possible. My reasoning is that you may find which part is actually causing the DW and not have to replace everything. Keep it simple. I would start by watching the suspension movement as mentioned and then rotate the tires to rule those out. Take it slow and methodical.

If all he wants to do is address the death wobble, then he needs to start by getting the tire balance perfect.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Since you have a 4” lift and want to rework the front end anyway, replace it with the Currie Currectlync and track bar.

If you ditch the dropped track bar bracket, you’ll also need a stock pitman arm at the same time. You’ll need an adjustable track bar to keep the axle centered under the Jeep.

Follow the advice thus far before firing the parts cannon… look up and perform the dry steering test… FIRST. Then rotate the tires to see if the wobbles follow. More often than not, wobbles are caused by the tires out of spec (balance, round, etc)which gets exacerbated by loose/worn parts. Do the diags first, the start the parts flow… (remember… .Just Empty Every Pocket, lol)

You have steering knuckle rubber caps blown out. You'd be surprised how much a good lube can tight up steering (not solve DW). Get those blown caps replaced and put in a good lube.

I used to use these to replace my OEM & ZJ links. Double check if they're still relevant but it's a starting point for those open boots/caps:

Energy Suspension - Tie Rod Dust Boot (913101G)

I think this is exactly what I have. Did you keep the RC lift?

I kept the springs and adjustable control arms that mine had. Ditched the front track bar drop bracket, drop pitman arm and shocks. Mine wouldn't even stay in one lane on the road until I did that.
p.s. If one of those track bar bracket bolts are even slightly loose, it will cause DW. Mine did that too.

Last edited:
Looks like a Jeep I bought that had a RC lift installed. I did what @jjvw told you to do. Remove the track bar drop bracket and dpa and go back to stock.

I agree, mine was rough country and had the same bracket. I removed the bracket and drop pitman arm and replaced with Rockjock and OE pitman arm.

There is the issue of the two large holes in the frame. I ended up putting a plate over the holes on both sides of the frame to reinforce the area.

Reactions: TheBoogieman