Help me find a rear bumper

I have the dirtworx too. It's simple and works well, however, it has gotten in my way in some situations where a lower profile would have helped

View attachment 230756
I like that it goes the full length of the body - Same reason why I haven't pulled the balloons off the end of the stock bumper. They're current state pointing upwards tells me they're helping...

As far as protrusions and clearance, it'll have to be better than the receiver hitch hanging below the stock bumper that just came off.

Like many, I like a d-ring for a recovery point and the hitch mount for both a recovery point and tossing a basket behind the Jeep so the Dirtworx hits the marks. FWIW

I have the SWAG and I am very pleased with it. The problem is, as others have mentioned, you can only buy the unwelded version for now. If you've got the tools and the talent to weld it, or know someone who does, It's a great choice.

PXL_20210213_000520529.jpg

However, if I were shopping for a new bumper right now, and I didn't want to mess with having to weld it up. I would probably choose this Next Venture .

Samantha-Skids-Rob-Bumper-073-web_720x.jpg

Reactions: Irun
Is your NV still lighter than the swag, after your modifications?
I added the weight of a shortened 2" receiver and some gusseting. It is significantly lighter than the swag with a receiver and likely still lighter than the one without.

Reactions: Mike_H
I added the weight of a shortened 2" receiver and some gusseting. It is significantly lighter than the swag with a receiver and likely still lighter than the one without.
I guess I didn't realize there was such a difference. I also wasn't sure exactly how much you modified, though I'm stalking your build thread to find out...

Reactions: jjvw
I like my Motobilt. It is well reinforced and has 12 attachment points including the 4 for the frame tie in brackets. Quality welds and construction. Weighs about 54lbs and is fairly minimalist. It has decent departure clearance that would be even better if it didn't have the hitch receiver.

View attachment 230475View attachment 230476View attachment 230477View attachment 230478View attachment 230479
I don't usually pick on his stuff but that thing is just terrible.

I guess I didn't realize there was such a difference. I also wasn't sure exactly how much you modified, though I'm stalking your build thread to find out...
3/16" vs 1/4" can add up. Plus mine doesn't have all the big tubing and bracing.

Reactions: Tob and Mike_H
I sold both my front and rear bumpers today. The front was 46 pounds and the rear is 66. Hopefully less than half of that gets added back on. However, this exercise is more about clearance than weight.

This is a good look, IMHO.
IMG_20210302_202025778_HDR.jpg

You say this because of how mounting points are set up flush with back side of bumper such that it sticks out from cross member still leaving it potentially vulnerable rather than tucking cross member inside bumper? I looked to ensure ends were closed before buying but didn’t even think of that aspect.

44376A36-8EDA-47B8-94AE-071103F7A562.jpeg

I've never seen that bumper from the side and didn't realize it didn't wrap the crossmember.
I will have to think on this some and study the attachment points of these bumpers that wrap the cross member...

Edit: my initial thoughts are that the way the Motobilt bumper is designed and attaches creates significant additional leverage (stress) on the attachment points on the cross member (holes in already thin metal).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tob
I will have to think on this some and study the attachment points of these bumpers that wrap the cross member...

These plates protrude out from the crossmember the thickeness of the material. All others that mount the traditional way will hang at least 5" out from the body. It really only matters if it matters. Scratches and gouges will tell you what is going on.
20190815_132817.jpg

These plates protrude out from the crossmember the thickeness of the material. All others that mount the traditional way will hang at least 5" out from the body. It really only matters if it matters. Scratches and gouges will tell you what is going on.
View attachment 230853
I get the clearance issues from it. Is that the only concern based on its design? Or the only one that resonates with you? I know concerns/needs are relative, but am trying to learn here. Functional concerns can take many forms and that is what I'm exploring now with all these rear bumper designs. Until Blaine said that, I didn't think twice about its design aside from the fact that I liked its form.

Build your own.

Don't mind the rest of the junk attached to the bumper...along with poor driving skills.....passenger side corner damaged prior to this picture.....Jesus.....my Jeep is a disaster:rolleyes:

View attachment 230811
You use and enjoy it what it was intended for. That's more than most!

Reactions: Tob
I get the clearance issues from it. Is that the only concern based on its design? Or the only one that resonates with you? I know concerns/needs are relative, but am trying to learn here. Functional concerns can take many forms and that is what I'm exploring now with all these rear bumper designs. Until Blaine said that, I didn't think twice about its design aside from the fact that I liked its form.
It's purely a matter of clearance. The bumper can't get in the way if it isn't there. Plus the weight savings adds up over the alternatives. The compromise is that the body quickly becomes more vulnerable and armor gets added to compensate, preferably aluminum to keep the weight increases down.