Help me find a rear bumper

My only complaint about the next venture, or styles like it, is that the corners of the tub aren't protected. I nicked the side of the tub on the first or second trail run with it.
Reading through this thread makes me wonder if there's value in additional armor for the bottom lip of the tub. Savvy makes a rub rail for the top of the tub, to protect the soft top channel. Would something like this add increased strength to the bottom rear corner of the tub? It would be in addition to the existing corner armor. Many wouldn't need it, but some might. :unsure:

Reading through this thread makes me wonder if there's value in additional armor for the bottom lip of the tub. Savvy makes a rub rail for the top of the tub, to protect the soft top channel. Would something like this add increased strength to the bottom rear corner of the tub? It would be in addition to the existing corner armor. Many wouldn't need it, but some might. :unsure:
Not a big issue in JV. Not saying that is the only criteria that should be used since there is likely a trail somewhere that eats corners, but if it was an issue in JV, I'd have made a piece of short rub rail out of solid aluminum for the lower corners.

There is always this option too...I guess its the nuclear option? I do have some rust repair to clean up in the rear frame section....

https://motobilt.com/collections/jeep-tj-97-06/products/jeep-tj-frame-back-half-kit
1614781000749.png

I'm a little bit worried about catching a small tree or something now that my giant bumper will be gone. Not so worried about rocks.

As far as clearance...my reasoning here is that both bumpers I sold were damage free...with the exception of the lower lips. I KNOW I'm dragging them over the little itty bitty rocks we have here. So, I'm getting rid of the catch points...to see where my next catch point is. Hopefully not the tub corners...

I kinda like the idea of an aluminum re-enforcement.

You say this because of how mounting points are set up flush with back side of bumper such that it sticks out from cross member still leaving it potentially vulnerable rather than tucking cross member inside bumper? I looked to ensure ends were closed before buying but didn’t even think of that aspect.

View attachment 230828
Pretty much. I also don't like that they didn't pick up the lower bolt hole in the frame.

Reactions: FarFire70
If you look at how that exits under the tail gate, you may want to consider another route. There is no provision for a body mount and it appears that the tub attaches directly to the back half kit with no mounts.
It did say that the tub mounts directly to the frame rails. I wasn't really serious...there would be a TON of work to installing that...far more than I have the time or inclination to do right now. Plus...losing the rubber cushion of the body mount would be a bad thing.

Decided to go Barnes as a base and add the extra "Stuff" that I want, like a receiver, wrapping the ends, I might taper it up to protect the underside of the tub, etc. FWIW, I had some discussion back and forth with them...they claim the bumper only weighs 15 pounds! I'll add more, but still...coming from a 66 pound bumper, that is a good diet!

Reactions: Tob
Build your own.

Don't mind the rest of the junk attached to the bumper...along with poor driving skills.....passenger side corner damaged prior to this picture.....Jesus.....my Jeep is a disaster:rolleyes:

View attachment 230811
Wait, are you telling us the solid metal fender flares didn't magically disperse the energy of the impact and save the tub from disastrous damage? :eek: /s

These plates protrude out from the crossmember the thickeness of the material. All others that mount the traditional way will hang at least 5" out from the body. It really only matters if it matters. Scratches and gouges will tell you what is going on.
View attachment 230853
There are plenty of scratches/gouges under the bumper to let me know it's in the way.

Reactions: jjvw
Wait, are you telling us the solid metal fender flares didn't magically disperse the energy of the impact and save the tub from disastrous damage? :eek: /s
A rock got caught up between the top of the tire and the inner fender. I asked my spotter what I was hung up on and he couldn't see that. Too late after the next try.

• Wow
Reactions: Tob