Help me find a rear bumper

I need to protect other areas back there as well.
Would you mind expanding on these "other areas"? I'm thinking the corner armor, rub rails, and shortening the tail lights are on my road map (at least in terms of protecting the rear end).

My only complaint about the next venture, or styles like it, is that the corners of the tub aren't protected. I nicked the side of the tub on the first or second trail run with it.

Reactions: Irun
Would you mind expanding on these "other areas"? I'm thinking the corner armor, rub rails, and shortening the tail lights are on my road map (at least in terms of protecting the rear end).

Mostly the upper edges where the soft top attaches. I have a dent on the corner above the taillight from the chute on Kelly Flats. I could use rub rails up there so I don't have worry.

I also want to bury the taillights for similar reasons. But that's a different project.

My only complaint about the next venture, or styles like it, is that the corners of the tub aren't protected. I nicked the side of the tub on the first or second trail run with it.
Tradeoffs. I had a stupid big bumper before and a grew to hate getting caught on it. There are other ways to protect the body that become useful once you start taking advantage of the increased clearance.

Something else I noticed was that I am using the gas tank skid more with the smaller bumper.

Nemesis is about as minimal as you can get. I also was a little concerned about the lack of corner protection.
Nem.jpg

I wanted the Recess hitch, corner protection, and tire carrier. So the Bestop Bumper fits all those needs. It is literally the same clearance from the ground. But the Bestop Bumper sticks out about 4-5" further from the rear of the vehicle. I tried to get a rough departure angle.
IMG_8746.jpg

IMG_8763.jpg

Reactions: Irun and Alex01
Nemesis is about as minimal as you can get. I also was a little concerned about the lack of corner protection.
View attachment 230575

I wanted the Recess hitch, corner protection, and tire carrier. So the Bestop Bumper fits all those needs. It is literally the same clearance from the ground. But the Bestop Bumper sticks out about 4-5" further from the rear of the vehicle. I tried to get a rough departure angle.
View attachment 230577
View attachment 230578
Do you still have the nemesis? I have a bumper more like the bestop. I drag it all the time.

I really liked the SWAG Big Hit on my last LJ. They actually snagged pics of it from a forum for their product photos. The hitch was great for my bike rack and when I needed to pull my M100 trailer around, fit and finish was good and like the Next Venture, it wraps around the rear cross member fully. I'd get their's again but the shop that welds them up for them isn't taking on the work right now, and that's beyond my skill. So this spring when it's time, I'll check in with them again and if they're only offering the kit, end up with the Next Venture.

5BD66AC5-645A-49E9-92F3-EBB4AC75375F.jpeg

8E1903EC-F528-448D-BEA5-3972C53AE7D2.jpeg

I'm changing my bumpers this winter, to go along with my Tub refresh. I bought a Motobilt Stubby steel bumper to go on front. For the rear, I'm thinking a HD cross-member style. So far, I've found them from

Next venture
https://nextventuremotorsports.com/...roducts/tjlj-ultra-high-clearance-rear-bumper
Barnes
https://www.barnes4wd.com/TJ-LJ-Rear-Tail-Plate-Bumper_p_308.html
Steinjager
https://steinjager.com/shop/Bumpers-1997-2006-Rear-Bare-J0049302
Swag Offroad
https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-BIG-HIT-TJ-YJ-Rear-Bumper-V20_p_91.html
Nemisis
https://nem-ind.com/tj-tju-crawler-stubby-rear-bumper-w-shackle-mounts.html
Or, I might roll my own. Its not a difficult design, and I need a hitch receiver anyway, so almost all of these will need that added to them.

What do you like and Why? I know @jjvw is running the Next Venture and it seems to work for him. Price wise, I don't know why the Nemisis is 350 dollars and the Barnes one is 129...they look the same. I guess the nemesis is made from A36 which is a Armor Plate steel... But is armor plate steel necessary for a rear bumper?
Why not match the Motobilt?
Quality doesn't get any better than this!
IMG_1286.JPGIMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG

Reactions: Tob and Tray Burge
That swag bumper looks kind of like the GenRight step bumper with hitch but 200$ cheaper. 🤔, between the swag, next venture, or GenRight, the price doesn’t look too bad for the swag.

That swag bumper looks kind of like the GenRight step bumper with hitch but 200$ cheaper. 🤔, between the swag, next venture, or GenRight, the price doesn’t look too bad for the swag.
Take Genright off the list because it doesn't fully wrap the crossmember. Swag is heavier than Next Venture. That's why I picked NV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
@Jerry Bransford I hope that missing fender flare is in the bed and not being left behind on the trail. You know the rules: Pack it in, pack it out. ;):ROFLMAO:

j/k. Love that tire conforming to the rock!

You and the many others recommending that bumper have it on my short list!
Missing fender flare? Moi? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: FarFire70
I have the dirtworx too. It's simple and works well, however, it has gotten in my way in some situations where a lower profile would have helped

20201007_175022.jpg

Reactions: FarFire70