Help me pick a hawse fairlead

The hook is permanently attached to the line
You should work on this. Better to learn how in your garage then when you're on the trail. There are a whole bunch of ways to attach the hook and learning to splice and make loops is part of using synthetic line in my opinion. Looks great though, glad you found something that works for you.

You should work on this. Better to learn how in your garage then when you're on the trail. There are a whole bunch of ways to attach the hook and learning to splice and make loops is part of using synthetic line in my opinion. Looks great though, glad you found something that works for you.

I will be attending the BCOR next week. One of the offered classes is "synthetic line repair". I plan on taking that class. I have a section of synthetic winch line I had to cut to shorten my winch line so it would all fit on the drum, so I will bring that with me to the class.

I think now that I've picked a hawse fairlead (and waiting for it to arrive so I can do a step-by-step instructional tutorial and video on how to install it along with a list of required tools, safety instructions, California list of potential carcinogens, etc. ;)), we're just going off on tangents and having fun.

It is amazing what you can do with a little 4' HF trailer and a little bit of imagination. Just saying...

View attachment 334285

View attachment 334288

Trailer build thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/threads/m...uild-up-thread.1180456/page-176#post-41479392

Video:

What rear tub corners are those?

The idea is that none of the rope sticks out past the front of the fairlead.
So in theory, it's protected.

I just pulled my whole winch deck back a few inches for (nearly) free.

PXL_20220314_183615870.jpg

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
It was good. I need to practice, and buy one of those leader things
I don't have a fid, probably would make things a bit easier but all I use is a folded piece of wire and the cap of a sharpie. If you tape the cap on the end it works fine once you cut off the clip and clean it up a bit. The wire is 14 gauge like coat hanger wire. I use that to push or pull through and to split the rope since the folded end is nice and smooth. It does take practice to get good at the knots, especially getting everything even.