Hood Vent Scoop / Cowl Induction Scoop

Sued1

I have the plastic Hood Vent Scoop / Cowl Induction Scoop with the opening facing the windshield. I have seen them facing both ways. Is open (facing front of jeep) to drive more air into the A/C system and closed (facing windshield) to protect debris entering if you off road in dusty areas?
I live in Florida and think that it might be better to remove this, please let me know your thoughts.
Also how do I remove it as it appears to be glued on?

Cowl induction is the only way to go, just ask anyone that had a 70s GM muscle car while in high school in the 80s.

Actually what you have is probably fine. The "cowl induction part" of it might actually be doing it's job but even if it isn't, it's not stopping your AC from getting air.

When it's turned around on some Jeeps it will block the windshield washer sprayer. I'm not sure if it affects any TJ sprayers, maybe just the YJs.

I don't have one, but I've been thinking about getting one. My cowl vent likes to fill up with pine needles.

It's probably held on with double sided tape. A heat gun used properly would make it easy to remove.

I think they look stupid. Though if you pair them with a light bar, proudly displayed shackles, grille inserts, and light cubes, then they look right at home :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: D M, chad and Tob
It's probably held on with double sided tape. A heat gun used properly would make it easy to remove.

I think they look stupid. Though if you pair them with a light bar, proudly displayed shackles, grille inserts, and light cubes, then they look right at home :LOL:
Dont forgot the Angry eyes.😠

• Haha
Reactions: Tob and Chris

Well. If you park outside under or near Ponderosa Pines, getting pelted in the face with ground up needles when you turn on the fan will make you think them less stupid. Mine’s window facing. It works well to keep shit out of the cowl. Hasn’t given me the itch to add a light bar, shackles, grille inserts or light cubes. Let alone Angry Eyes.

Reactions: Midwest and j8ksdad
According to something that I read many years ago, it should have the opening towards the windshield.

I have been looking for custom hood vents or hoods and cannot find any good samples or ideas. I would like to put more fresh air in the front and release hot air out the back. I just want to move more air since I do produce more heat with an LS V8.

The Amazon.com Special

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
It should be facing the windshield for 2 reasons... Ram air facing forward would be completely blocked by the rather un aerodynamic shape of the grill and hood. Whereas facing backwards the intake is picking up from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. Here’s a third, backward prevents debris from being ingested.
All of these work on a 200mph drag car but probably make zero difference in a TJ

Reactions: Tob
After its sit in the sun for a while and gotten warm, take some dental floss or fishing line and work it back and forth between the hood and scoop. It will cut right through it. Then take your thumb and rub/roll the remaining take off. Follow that with a wipe down of naphtha (lighter fluid) to get the last part off. Might want to wax that area afterwards because the naphtha will remove the wax.

If you keep it on I’d have it facing the windshield.

After its sit in the sun for a while and gotten warm, take some dental floss or fishing line and work it back and forth between the hood and scoop. It will cut right through it. Then take your thumb and rub/roll the remaining take off. Follow that with a wipe down of naphtha (lighter fluid) to get the last part off. Might want to wax that area afterwards because the naphtha will remove the wax.

If you keep it on I’d have it facing the windshield.
Thank you so much for the advice, I'm not sure what to do yet. I've only had the jeep 2 weeks and deciding on what changes to make or not lol.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I put mine on facing out, Its to stop all the berries birds drop from trees at my house, facing out you can still get your hand in and clean out leaves from the grill facing in would be a bit of a struggle
If the OP is still around they are just held down with Scotchtape Trim tape so shouldn't pull your paint off.

I put mine on facing out, Its to stop all the berries birds drop from trees at my house, facing out you can still get your hand in and clean out leaves from the grill facing in would be a bit of a struggle
If the OP is still around they are just held down with Scotchtape Trim tape so shouldn't pull your paint off.
mind posting some pictures?

mind posting some pictures?
Sorry about pic quality the sun is low and bright!

scoop1.jpg

scoop2.jpg

Reactions: D M
There will be no performance difference either direction. The cowl is vented at the bottom, so it doesn't matter reference pressure and what not.

Reactions: D M