Horn usage & etiquette

qslim

The Man with the Big Yellow Car
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've noticed something since I moved out west a few years ago: people here are REALLY uptight about using their horns and/or being honked at.

I grew up on the east coast, mostly around D.C. and spent lots of time in Philly, NY, etc... We honk. Quickly. Light turns green and you don't move? You have about a second, maybe a second and a half before my hand hits the airbag pad. Get moving! You're part of a system that isn't all about you and your phone, so my horn is the method by which I can snap you back into reality to get the system moving again. Nothing personal! Just like when I walk my Lab and she hones in on a cat or rabbit in the neighborhood... A swift light kick to the rear gets her refocused on the task at hand and she gets back on with a nice walk.

However, it seems that out here in the Great West very few people use their horns. For my own experimentation I have sat quietly at a stoplight queue after the green ball glows for over five seconds in total silence! Not ONE person lights up the leader to get their attention re-focused on obeying their traffic signal. When I first moved here I actually had a guys get out of his lifted Utah Truck and threaten to kick my ass for honking at him when he didn't turn left despite zero cross traffic and a flashing left turn arrow!

Am I just some East Coast Asshole that loves palming my steering wheel pad?

Reactions: Miracle Jeep
Definitely not. Honk away especially with everybody staring at their phones these days. I've worked for a company that sent me to driving school, Smith System. Rule #5 "Make Sure They See You" and that includes the horn.

I may be the most impatient driver in the entire north western US and the answer is yes. If you feel the need to palm the pad you are an asshole. Welcome to the west and I hope you enjoy your stay. If not enjoy your trip back to the land of horn honkers.

BTW (seriously), don't try that crap east of Washington and Oregon or in rural parts of those two states. It may not be perceived as the innocent wakeup intended and go horribly wrong.

lol, yes.

I think the nature in which you blow your horn makes all the difference. I mean I do the same thing if someone does not move when the light turns green, but its always a couple short "beep beep" not a 3 second "bleeeeeeeeeeep" that's being an ass hat.

Reactions: pagrey
Here in the south east now (I am a transplant) but I don't hear to many horns down here. I have used it if the person is on their cell at a green light. The other day I heard one at a light but didn't know why they honked.

Now I will tell you how the horn is used down here. Someone comes to your house and pulls up in your driveway and then they blast their horn. Now that really upsets me. You come to see me but then call me out to you. I asked an old lady about it and she claimed that she didn't know if we had dogs or not. That I can understand to a point.

but no the horn is rarely heard down here.

This my spin on this. I live in the country in Northern California, I hate going to the cities. I'm not on my cell phone when driving. Everyone now days is in a big damn hurry. Its a now now generation, I want it now and hurry hurry. When it comes to traffic lights, some people try to rush through and beat the light, yellow (almost red). I, as well as a few other people have a 3 second rule when a traffic light turns green. Count to 3 then go, to make sure you don't get broadsided by some idiot trying to beat the light (which has happened). Really, you can't wait more then a second or a second and a half? If you honked at me a second or second and half after the light turned green, I'd be pissed too.
Not trying to be an ass or anything, just how I feel about the question you asked.

I only honk my horn at drivers who run red lights and I’m at the front of the line at the intersection. Honking is not done a lot around here.

This my spin on this. I live in the country in Northern California, I hate going to the cities. I'm not on my cell phone when driving. Everyone now days is in a big damn hurry. Its a now now generation, I want it now and hurry hurry. When it comes to traffic lights, some people try to rush through and beat the light, yellow (almost red). I, as well as a few other people have a 3 second rule when a traffic light turns green. Count to 3 then go, to make sure you don't get broadsided by some idiot trying to beat the light (which has happened). Really, you can't wait more then a second or a second and a half? If you honked at me a second or second and half after the light turned green, I'd be pissed too.
Not trying to be an ass or anything, just how I feel about the question you asked.

I’ve been hit 6 times in the last 2 years by drivers running reds. I am never the first person in the intersection unless both sets of cross traffic have stopped.

I think the nature in which you blow your horn makes all the difference. I mean I do the same thing if someone does not move when the light turns green, but its always a couple short "beep beep" not a 3 second "bleeeeeeeeeeep" that's being an ass hat.

This is pretty much what I do although I am pretty tempted to do the 3 second "bleeeeeeeeeeep" while the light is still red when I know they were on the phone long before we got to the light. The only reason I don't is so they don't wreck into some innocent driver with the green light.

I’ve been hit 6 times in the last 2 years by drivers running reds. I am never the first person in the intersection unless both sets of cross traffic have stopped.

Come visit Denver where you can sit back and watch as the red light runners sometimes keep coming until you get into the intersection to block them. Did you know that it will be your fault for getting in their way?

As infuriating as this is, it is fascinating to think that the natural traffic patterns have adjusted to accommodate people stopped at a green light to stare at their phones. The opportunists will keep pushing the red if it means forward progress.

Reactions: Ericict
Really, you can't wait more then a second or a second and a half? If you honked at me a second or second and half after the light turned green, I'd be pissed too.
I've since outgrown that habit since I left The Big City, now it's just a quick stab at the horn after a 3 count. I had to work with a traffic therapist for years but I managed to break through!

but its always a couple short "beep beep" not a 3 second "bleeeeeeeeeeep" that's being an ass hat.

I'm with you. Just a quick poke at the steering wheel is all it takes.

I've since outgrown that habit since I left The Big City, now it's just a quick stab at the horn after a 3 count. I had to work with a traffic therapist for years but I managed to break through!

Glad to see you're getting some help. :)

Come visit Denver where you can sit back and watch as the red light runners sometimes keep coming until you get into the intersection to block them. Did you know that it will be your fault for getting in their way?

As infuriating as this is, it is fascinating to think that the natural traffic patterns have adjusted to accommodate people stopped at a green light to stare at their phones. The opportunists will keep pushing the red if it means forward progress.
We are in Denver a few times each year. It’s bad there also.

Here nobody honks, and I mean NOBODY! Myself included. I understand the reasons for it but if I’m not in a hurry (which I’m usually not) I won’t honk. I also don’t want to get into an unnecessary confrontation with someone who’s having a bad day.

man I cracked up reading this, & yea apparently we're both supreme asshats.

I was born in Philly & lived my whole life in its environs where green means GO BABY & if you don’t you’re getting reminded immediately hahaha. Had no idea this wasn’t the case everywhere, I guess I gotta get out more :LOL:

I also guess people in areas that don’t do this prolly think we’re pretty uptight? Maybe. Or, perhaps they’re uptight for getting bent outa shape when someone reminds them their ass isn’t on their couch surfing the net on their i-pad but rather in the driver’s seat of a car plugging up an intersection with at least one person behind them that’s ready to go… I guess I’m so conditioned to it that when I’m the asshole staring at my foot when the light turns green & the guy behind me honks his horn my first thought is damn, I’m an asshole that really oughta be paying better attention :rolleyes:;)

Perspective, as always

There are laws about using/abusing the horn.

Horn
(1) Subject to subsection (2), every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a horn which will emit sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of 60 m, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle.

In New York City, it's illegal to honk your car horn except under emergency circumstances. The NYPD can issue summonses that carry a $350 fine for unnecessary use of the horn

The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use the horn when upon a highway.

Every state has similar laws. Horn use is only permitted to ensure safety. Not to gain attention. And they all have fairly hefty fines for using your horn just because you are impatient.

Last edited:
Well, people honk out west here in California, just not so fast and quick as the east coast I suspect. I drive Class A trucks down in the city and let me tell you people got no problem honking at me, its useless to honk at me since my truck is bigger and IDGAF if a little Tesla or Prius doesn't like my double parking

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
I've noticed something since I moved out west a few years ago: people here are REALLY uptight about using their horns and/or being honked at.

I grew up on the east coast, mostly around D.C. and spent lots of time in Philly, NY, etc... We honk. Quickly. Light turns green and you don't move? You have about a second, maybe a second and a half before my hand hits the airbag pad. Get moving! You're part of a system that isn't all about you and your phone, so my horn is the method by which I can snap you back into reality to get the system moving again. Nothing personal! Just like when I walk my Lab and she hones in on a cat or rabbit in the neighborhood... A swift light kick to the rear gets her refocused on the task at hand and she gets back on with a nice walk.

However, it seems that out here in the Great West very few people use their horns. For my own experimentation I have sat quietly at a stoplight queue after the green ball glows for over five seconds in total silence! Not ONE person lights up the leader to get their attention re-focused on obeying their traffic signal. When I first moved here I actually had a guys get out of his lifted Utah Truck and threaten to kick my ass for honking at him when he didn't turn left despite zero cross traffic and a flashing left turn arrow!

That is a mormon thing, afraid of what others think of you...I blare my horn at all sorts of idiots. Utah drivers as a whole are just stupid.

Reactions: DrDmoney