Horn usage & etiquette

Well, people honk out west here in California, just not so fast and quick as the east coast I suspect. I drive Class A trucks down in the city and let me tell you people got no problem honking at me, its useless to honk at me since my truck is bigger and IDGAF if a little Tesla or Prius doesn't like my double parking
But they sure want to eat what comes out of your truck! How do they think it gets to the store?

That is a mormon thing, afraid of what others think of you...I blare my horn at all sorts of idiots. Utah drivers as a whole are just stupid.

Well Utah drivers are their own category of shitty drivers.
I have family in Roy and all over SLC.
Lived in NSLC for a few years. Ugh.

man I cracked up reading this, & yea apparently we're both supreme asshats.
West Chester Best Chester!

Every state has similar laws. Horn use is only permitted to ensure safety. Not to gain attention. And they all have fairly hefty fines for using your horn just because you are impatient.

Yes yes... I shall wait patiently so as not to disturb the driver ahead of me neglecting their road-bearing duties. By all means, ensure that your 'gram is current prior to looking up through the windshield.

Aren't they though? I've been all over the States, and it's a common sentiment to say "Typical [fill in state name here] driver", but Utah drivers really are awful, and this is coming from someone who spent years in S. Florida sharing highways with Puerto Ricans and Cubans that followed the mantra of "if I can fit it I can do it".

Reactions: Thunderhead
I'm from the PNW but have lived in Los Angeles for over 25 yrs. When I moved here I did the speed limit. Even on the freeways. And was a total zen driver. But before my horn went out last month. I used mine regularly after 25 yrs of bad LA traffic.

And it's mostly at people not paying attention because they're on their phones. Especially at stop lights. But sometimes even in traffic. Flow is going 35-40 and they're poking along at 15 staring at their phones. They got a blast as do the asshats at the traffic lights. But I only did it when someone was looking down at their phone.

Over the last several months though. I've begun a travel to a more peaceful place. I almost got shot or stabbed by a guy that cut me off in traffic after I flipped him the bird. He followed me to a Post Office. Blocked my car in. Tucked something behind his pants from under his seat. And I suddenly realized I had brought fists to a knife/gunfight.

He was an older dude too. But I was in the wrong neighborhood. And knew better than to confront this unhinged individual. I believe this person was not there for a fistfight. But intent on critical bodily harm. Was carrying either a pistol or a knife. And it finally sunk in with me. After all I did was flip the guy off. That you can't deal with things like you used to. It's too dangerous in today's world. At least in LA.

I told myself I'm almost 55. What in the hell am I doing potentially getting into a fist fight or worse getting killed - over traffic?! Pretty stupid. I try to drive slower now. And not get angry at all the bad drivers. I will still honk at a traffic light at someone obviously unaware that the light has turned green cause they are on their phone. But I give them a good three seconds. Before I honk. In a friendly manner - toot toot. Not a big ass blare of the horn for 20 full seconds. Like I used to.

Either way I can't wait until I get my CCW back in WA. I have a lock box for a firearm. But rarely carry it in CA. To many legal ramifications. As there are alot of guys out there that think like I did. Or worse. That a traffic problem needs to be solved by a fight or worse. And most likely these days it's worse. Even if you try to avoid it.

My advice now days is avoid at all cost. But be prepared to defend yourself to any number of idiots out there. Spoiling for a fight. Or worse.

But talking on phones is a BIG problem here. That needs to be solved. There is no reason to have your phone on while driving. I pull over if I need to answer a text or make a call. It's worth the loss of time. And loss of possibility that you'll be shot or stabbed. For doing it in traffic. Or worse yet kill yourself or others because your not paying attention.

Here nobody honks, and I mean NOBODY! Myself included. I understand the reasons for it but if I’m not in a hurry (which I’m usually not) I won’t honk. I also don’t want to get into an unnecessary confrontation with someone who’s having a bad day.
As a fellow Minnesotan I can say that it's true, there is not a lot of honking in MN. Even in the Twin Cities.. but, I will say, if some dumbass is clearly looking down at their phone at a stop light and sits there after it turns green for a 2-3 count, they are getting the horn. Also, all the idiots on the highway that are pin balling from center line to fog line (usually on their phone) when I go by and they are on their phone, guess what, honk honk. Brings their eyes up at least. Fucking idiots.

Reactions: 97’ 4banger
Also, all the idiots on the highway that are pin balling from center line to fog line (usually on their phone)
True that. The most time I see people on their phones is on the highway. There is a huge difference safety wise when people are on their phone not moving at a stoplight, than when they are going 70+ on the highway. Going to get themselves or somebody else killed!

Reactions: Cole
Horn etiquette: If you hold up traffic or fuck up a stop sign either on a phone or just stupidity, you get the horn. Not just a "excuse me toot", a full 2-3 sec blast. It may piss them off, which is intended. Hopefully they'll think of others next time.

I want a horn loud enough to make the jerk on cell phone shit themself when I honk it. People glued to their phones while behind the wheel is an epidemic that needs to be stopped. I think the penalty for it should be as harsh a DUI as it’s just as dangerous.

I want a horn loud enough to make the jerk on cell phone shit themself when I honk it. People glued to their phones while behind the wheel is an epidemic that needs to be stopped. I think the penalty for it should be as harsh a DUI as it’s just as dangerous.
Amen!

Like @Nimbley said I wish I had a loud truck horn to snap people back to reality.
Was driving behind this lady yesterday she was stopping and swerving side to side for no dam reason. I honked at her to get her to stop whatever she’s doing and just drive. She looked out her side mirror mad and threw up her hand like to tell me why did I honk. Some people are just plain stupid and get mad at others when their driving is bad. Seriously though in this LA traffic if the person doesn’t move as soon as the light turns green a lot of people get held back wich causes more traffic.

Reactions: B252
Since no one has brought it up, 90's era four note Cadillac horns are a nice loud horn.

Well, down here, horns are used occasionally.
Someone switching to your lane may not see you: honk...things like that.

Not for staying at a green light for over 2 seconds.

Reactions: lowranger
Funny, another part of the "Smith System" is not entering an intersection within 3 seconds of a light change. That means sitting at a green for a three count. Get some honks because of that but most crashes are within three and if you ain't there you don't crash.

I don't think the horn is a tool for you to teach other drivers or vent your frustrations. It is a piece of safety equipment like your headlights. If you use it like a respectful adult you wont have trouble.

I have family in Roy and all over SLC.
Lived in NSLC for a few years. Ugh.
Horrible drivers, I spent a year and a half there building the new Fed courthouse (locally referred to as the Borg Cube) and I for the life of me have never seen so many fender benders end with a rollover. I swear they flip over when they bump into each other.

Funny, another part of the "Smith System" is not entering an intersection within 3 seconds of a light change. That means sitting at a green for a three count. Get some honks because of that but most crashes are within three and if you ain't there you don't crash.

I don't think the horn is a tool for you to teach other drivers or vent your frustrations. It is a piece of safety equipment like your headlights. If you use it like a respectful adult you wont have trouble.
Agree to disagree here. You can use your eyes at the light too, it's pretty easy to look left and right and figure out pretty quickly that someone isn't going to stop. Especially if we're talking in town... If it's crossing a highway or something like that.. different story and I don't think people would lay on their horn in that situation.

Now, people that are on their phones, they absolutely deserve a horn. maybe it'll save them 5 seconds down the road before they plow into the back of a semi and get decapitated.. who knows.

Reactions: B252 and DrDmoney
I've noticed something since I moved out west a few years ago: people here are REALLY uptight about using their horns and/or being honked at.

I grew up on the east coast, mostly around D.C. and spent lots of time in Philly, NY, etc... We honk. Quickly. Light turns green and you don't move? You have about a second, maybe a second and a half before my hand hits the airbag pad. Get moving! You're part of a system that isn't all about you and your phone, so my horn is the method by which I can snap you back into reality to get the system moving again. Nothing personal! Just like when I walk my Lab and she hones in on a cat or rabbit in the neighborhood... A swift light kick to the rear gets her refocused on the task at hand and she gets back on with a nice walk.

However, it seems that out here in the Great West very few people use their horns. For my own experimentation I have sat quietly at a stoplight queue after the green ball glows for over five seconds in total silence! Not ONE person lights up the leader to get their attention re-focused on obeying their traffic signal. When I first moved here I actually had a guys get out of his lifted Utah Truck and threaten to kick my ass for honking at him when he didn't turn left despite zero cross traffic and a flashing left turn arrow!

Am I just some East Coast Asshole that loves palming my steering wheel pad?

Chicagoans are big on toot'n the horn too!