Horn usage & etiquette

I think the nature in which you blow your horn makes all the difference. I mean I do the same thing if someone does not move when the light turns green, but its always a couple short "beep beep" not a 3 second "bleeeeeeeeeeep" that's being an ass hat.

Totally agree with this. I recently moved to NM from MD and they tend not to use the horn here. I do. But initially, just a short beep I believe should not be considered offensive. If somebody get out of their truck, if possible, I'm driving around them at that point.

About 1/3 of the people here don't seem to care if they ever get where they are going, drive super slow, won't turn right on red, etc. Drives me nuts. Another 1/3 drive like absolute maniacs. It's actually a dangerous mix. They tend to have massive pileups on the Interstates (I40, I25) that criss-cross Albuquerque.

I want a horn loud enough to make the jerk on cell phone shit themself when I honk it. People glued to their phones while behind the wheel is an epidemic that needs to be stopped. I think the penalty for it should be as harsh a DUI as it’s just as dangerous.

Something like this, maybe?

Some people here have to drive standards, right? I either ride the clutch in gear or, if I dont want calves like Arnold, put it in neutral while i wait. A couple of seconds to get in gear and going doesnt seem like the end of the world.

Reactions: lowranger
Agree to disagree here. You can use your eyes at the light too, it's pretty easy to look left and right and figure out pretty quickly that someone isn't going to stop. Especially if we're talking in town... If it's crossing a highway or something like that.. different story and I don't think people would lay on their horn in that situation.

Now, people that are on their phones, they absolutely deserve a horn. maybe it'll save them 5 seconds down the road before they plow into the back of a semi and get decapitated.. who knows.

I'll send the folks that teach the driving course a note, some guy named "Cole" on the internet says your safety tips are all washed up, a semi might run into you. They might change the whole program to the "Cole System"

Two seconds at a light can mean someone in line has to wait for the next green. Because someone wanted to text.
Who cares, not me. In California we have sensors on most of our signals and I'm still on the sensor for all three seconds so nobody hast to wait for the next green. If I'm not first in line three seconds is already gone before I get to the intersection.

I'll send the folks that teach the driving course a note, some guy named "Cole" on the internet says your safety tips are all washed up, a semi might run into you. They might change the whole program to the "Cole System"

I've wondered how a driver's ed instructor teaches someone how to drive in a city like NYC or Chicago. Beyond the very vague basics, traffic rules simply don't apply and those that try to drive within the law actually create problems. It's an interesting problem.

Reactions: DrDmoney
traffic rules simply don't apply and those that try to drive within the law actually create problems
I've heard this before allot. Most of the time people are just trying to rationalize breaking the rules themselves. I think it's just basic human nature to do it. Could you name one of these rules that create problems?

Smith System isn't really drivers ed, it's for companies that have drivers on the payroll. Situations where training your drivers not to drive like idiots saves money. I don't follow it all but it's not a bad thing to know about. It's based on what really causes accidents.
https://www.drivedifferent.com/about/

I love those and I want to put one in my jeep.
I've got a dusty old horn that I found in a junkyard 20 years ago. I mean if you are going part way why not go all the way. When you oogah people listen.

15597784104760.jpg

Reactions: DrDmoney
That is a mormon thing, afraid of what others think of you

Interesting observation, I think you're onto something. I was at some bagel shop up in Park City grabbing a couple sandwiches for the family... There was a decent sized line and up front was an Indian couple holding up the line NEGOTIATING with the cashier!! The guy was telling this cashier girl that $12 or whatever was too expensive for their breakfast and he would only give them 9 bucks or whatever... I looked around and everyone was indulging this couple, no one was speaking up! I walked up to the front and told them that "we don't do that here, pay what the sign says and get moving because you're holding everyone up". So they paid and left. I thought it was nuts that no one else, particularly the cashier, told them to get bent and beat it. Bunch of friendly Mormons afraid to speak up I guess

Wooooaaaaahhhhh. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Common sense, for most people, is all you need. That's all I'm saying pal!

Wooooaaaaahhhhh. Who pissed in your cheerios?

Common sense, for most people, is all you need. That's all I'm saying pal!
I figure most people have a thick skin and was just making a joke about your comment. I get what you say and sorry if it got to you.

Interesting observation, I think you're onto something. I was at some bagel shop up in Park City grabbing a couple sandwiches for the family... There was a decent sized line and up front was an Indian couple holding up the line NEGOTIATING with the cashier!! The guy was telling this cashier girl that $12 or whatever was too expensive for their breakfast and he would only give them 9 bucks or whatever... I looked around and everyone was indulging this couple, no one was speaking up! I walked up to the front and told them that "we don't do that here, pay what the sign says and get moving because you're holding everyone up". So they paid and left. I thought it was nuts that no one else, particularly the cashier, told them to get bent and beat it. Bunch of friendly Mormons afraid to speak up I guess
My son gets this in Bed, bath and beyond, they walk up to him with a $300 garbage can and want it for $150 and they won't take no for an answer. He eventually has to get management to tell them the same thing.

Washington State Law;

RCW 46.37.380
Horns, warning devices, and theft alarms.

(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred feet, but no horn or other warning device may emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his or her horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.
(2) No vehicle may be equipped with nor may any person use upon a vehicle any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.
(3) It is permissible for any vehicle to be equipped with a theft alarm signal device so long as it is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal. Such a theft alarm signal device may use a whistle, bell, horn, or other audible signal but shall not use a siren.
(4) Any authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred feet and of a type conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol, but the siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which latter events the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of its approach.
[ 2010 c 8 § 9052; 1987 c 330 § 720; 1986 c 113 § 3; 1977 ex.s. c 355 § 32; 1961 c 12 § 46.37.380. Prior: 1955 c 269 § 38; prior: 1937 c 189 § 35; RRS § 6360-35; RCW 46.36.040

And below is a news article;

The light turns green, the head is down, and you realize the driver in front of you is on a cell phone.

How long should you wait before hitting the horn? Is it two short beeps or one long blast?

Officially, it’s illegal to use your horn. Washington State Trooper Chris Webb says the horn, by law, is to be used for emergencies only.

“You’re supposed to just use it for safety reasons,” he said. “Someone veering into the lane, somebody coming toward you, something to signal that person that there’s an issue here and to warn them.”

Trooper Webb said very few officers will ding you for it, but it’s still illegal.

“I can’t say I’ve ever written up a person for it,” he said. “I don’t know many troopers that have, but it is a law that’s still out there and still functioning.”

And if Trooper Webb was stuck behind someone not paying attention at a stop light?

“I would not recommend it unless it’s an emergency situation … but a nice little tap (on the horn) would probably be better than a big (honk),” he said.

Deborah King, president and founder of Final Touch Finishing School, clarified which is appropriate – the little toot or the blast.

“A quick toot is a polite way,” she said. “To blast your horn longer, I think, is a rude reaction to a rude act.”

So how long should I wait before hitting the horn &#8212 one second, two seconds, five seconds?

“I think a couple of seconds is sufficient,” King said. “Anything longer than that, when you’re sitting there and you’re waiting and waiting, seems like an eternity.”

Now you know. A quick toot of the horn after a couple seconds is appropriate, though it is still against the law.

I've heard this before allot. Most of the time people are just trying to rationalize breaking the rules themselves. I think it's just basic human nature to do it. Could you name one of these rules that create problems?

Smith System isn't really drivers ed, it's for companies that have drivers on the payroll. Situations where training your drivers not to drive like idiots saves money. I don't follow it all but it's not a bad thing to know about. It's based on what really causes accidents.
https://www.drivedifferent.com/about/
If you are in a company vehicle, you represent the company, if you drive like an idiot, the company WILL take care of that problem. At least ethical ones will.

Washington State Law;

RCW 46.37.380
Horns, warning devices, and theft alarms.

(1) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than two hundred feet, but no horn or other warning device may emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his or her horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.
(2) No vehicle may be equipped with nor may any person use upon a vehicle any siren, whistle, or bell, except as otherwise permitted in this section.
(3) It is permissible for any vehicle to be equipped with a theft alarm signal device so long as it is so arranged that it cannot be used by the driver as an ordinary warning signal. Such a theft alarm signal device may use a whistle, bell, horn, or other audible signal but shall not use a siren.
(4) Any authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a siren, whistle, or bell capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than five hundred feet and of a type conforming to rules adopted by the state patrol, but the siren shall not be used except when the vehicle is operated in response to an emergency call or in the immediate pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, in which latter events the driver of the vehicle shall sound the siren when reasonably necessary to warn pedestrians and other drivers of its approach.
[ 2010 c 8 § 9052; 1987 c 330 § 720; 1986 c 113 § 3; 1977 ex.s. c 355 § 32; 1961 c 12 § 46.37.380. Prior: 1955 c 269 § 38; prior: 1937 c 189 § 35; RRS § 6360-35; RCW 46.36.040

And below is a news article;

The light turns green, the head is down, and you realize the driver in front of you is on a cell phone.

How long should you wait before hitting the horn? Is it two short beeps or one long blast?

Officially, it’s illegal to use your horn. Washington State Trooper Chris Webb says the horn, by law, is to be used for emergencies only.

“You’re supposed to just use it for safety reasons,” he said. “Someone veering into the lane, somebody coming toward you, something to signal that person that there’s an issue here and to warn them.”

Trooper Webb said very few officers will ding you for it, but it’s still illegal.

“I can’t say I’ve ever written up a person for it,” he said. “I don’t know many troopers that have, but it is a law that’s still out there and still functioning.”

And if Trooper Webb was stuck behind someone not paying attention at a stop light?

“I would not recommend it unless it’s an emergency situation … but a nice little tap (on the horn) would probably be better than a big (honk),” he said.

Deborah King, president and founder of Final Touch Finishing School, clarified which is appropriate – the little toot or the blast.

“A quick toot is a polite way,” she said. “To blast your horn longer, I think, is a rude reaction to a rude act.”

So how long should I wait before hitting the horn &#8212 one second, two seconds, five seconds?

“I think a couple of seconds is sufficient,” King said. “Anything longer than that, when you’re sitting there and you’re waiting and waiting, seems like an eternity.”

Now you know. A quick toot of the horn after a couple seconds is appropriate, though it is still against the law.
Yeah, I dont care, if you drive like an idiot, you will get honked at. If a cop wants to ticket me, I will press charges on the idiot in front of me. I just got rear ended by some dumb kid on her cell, I saw the phone in my mirror, cop would not do anything uless HE saw it. Pure bullshit, I am going to get a camera...front and rear.

Yeah, I dont care, if you drive like an idiot, you will get honked at. If a cop wants to ticket me, I will press charges on the idiot in front of me. I just got rear ended by some dumb kid on her cell, I saw the phone in my mirror, cop would not do anything uless HE saw it. Pure bullshit, I am going to get a camera...front and rear.
Which part is pure bullshit? Getting rear ended or the cop not doing anything about it?

Hearsay is a thing

The cop not doing anything about it. I watched here phone up in the windshield, I tried to move my car out of the way and she tagged me good. I knew enough to see that she was not paying attention and tried to get out of the way before she tagged me. I would have testified in court...

The cop not doing anything about it. I watched here phone up in the windshield, I tried to move my car out of the way and she tagged me good. I knew enough to see that she was not paying attention and tried to get out of the way before she tagged me. I would have testified in court...
Did the cop even ask her what the hell she was doing slamming into the car without applying the brakes? Even if she said "adjusting the radio" it is still a distracted driving ticket.